Aspen like residences coming to Camelback.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Toast said he’s 99% sure he’ll get the epic pass although places he likes better are on the ikon. 

and you're 100% not getting a pass. Take it to the individual ticket thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I'm leaning toward the Ikon Base Pass.  I'm hoping to again do two Utah trips again next season.  This season I has a cheap midweek pass to Brighton and bought a couple day passes to other mountains.

The Ikon would still give me 5 days at Brighton, but I've been wanting to try out Solitude... So? Maybe

• Like 1

I would hope that Ikon would have higher standards than Camelback. 

"Aspen like residences coming to Camelback" is just clickbait for a catchy title. Aspen has some of the highest property values in the country and is significantly more remote than Camelback's 2-hour distance from NYC & Philly. 

"It's a $150million dollar project for 105 residences into a timeshare." "Lifetime packages begin at $24,000. Founding member membership dues are $840 annually." https://ownserenite.com/membership/ 

Meanwhile, the average home value in Aspen is $5.4m+...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Perhaps Ikon wants Camelback as a feeder mountain, and their target market is wealthy people from NYC and NJ? 

That seems like the play for most of these smaller mountains on the passes. Who the heck cares about JFBB or Paoli Hills from Epic... it is just to get more people to spend at the bigger places.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

That seems like the play for most of these smaller mountains on the passes. Who the heck cares about JFBB or Paoli Hills from Epic... it is just to get more people to spend at the bigger places.

Correct. Ikon has Boyne Mountain in upper Michigan with its whopping 500 feet of vert. How many non-locals are going to travel to Boyne over anything west? Probably zero.

think Camelback is the largest mountain that's less than a 2 hr drive from Manhattan. In 2019, the NYC metro area had a population of 8.4 million and $90,043 GDP per capita. That's a lot of potential Ikon passholders

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Timeshares are such a major ripoff. 

Ever watch the South Park ski episode when they go to Aspen for "free" but constantly get trapped into a timeshare presentation (e.g. via the chairlift)? It's grate!

20210331_135249.jpg.732db30692cf6dc71b027b5a8157dc66.jpg

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I didn't know that Disney Vacation Club was time-share based. Or are there different levels? 

Not levels, you buy points at certain properties which equate to a slice of a unit at that property, though you are free to use them for any size unit, and any time of year, subject to availability.  Bigger units=more points of course, and more popular seasons more points as well. You can also use them at other DVC properties but with less lead-time preference than home owners at the resort. Once all the points are sold (which, with very few “fixed week” exceptions they started selling a few years ago, really are just representations of a particular amount of the occupancy level) that resort is “sold-out” but can pretty much always be bought on the resale market.

The strong resale market if we ever want to sell, and the strong point rental market helped convince me it was worth it for us. We pay about $7.50 per point in annual dues, and could rent them for $12-13 pretty easily if we want/need to. We’ve only ever rented to my older sister though, she comes with us often and we book a room for her and my niece and she gives us about $10 per point, which usually puts her in a room in a deluxe resort like Animal Kindom Lodge or Polynesian for less than a value resort.

The initial buy in has done well too. We paid $65 per point in 2013 on the resale market for AKL and right now it’s selling for about $120 or more. Of course that can’t be counted on, but it’s nice. By my count, using what we would have paid to stay at moderate level resorts vs our coat for the point used, we’ll “break even” on the buy-in with a few more trips.

The final plus was that they expire. Unlike some timeshares that go on in perpetuity, long after anyone wants to stay there, DVC contracts are a 50 year term from when the building opens. So the exit strategy is baked in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What was the initiation fee like?

As mentioned, $65 per point. We bought in 2013 and the contract expires in 2057. So I add about $1.50 to my dues for that year when figuring what a room I am staying in actually cost me.

Another key I feel is not to compare what I am paying to the rate I could have gotten a room in the same resort for. If I wasn’t staying in a DVC room I would never pay that, so I compare the cost against what it replaced, which would be a moderate level room. Stayed in a value resort once. Not for us.

Edited by enjoralas