Trying to figure out what new gear to get...

Benm

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

Maybe hold off on purchasing until there is a demo day at a local mountain or Blue that you can try stuff out? Or at least swap skis with some of us for a few runs depending on BSL. 

I have a credit with a ski shop, technically I'm not spending anything but the lower the item price, the more I'll have for other things. Demos are $$$ that I don't really want to spend. 

I'm also trying to be ready for tomorrow, which is why I'm in a crunch to get to the shop tonight. This crazy early opening day is responsible for this unwanted urgency.

Just now, brm05 said:

I have a credit with a ski shop, technically I'm not spending anything but the lower the item price, the more I'll have for other things. Demos are $$$ that I don't really want to spend. 

I'm also trying to be ready for tomorrow, which is why I'm in a crunch to get to the shop tonight. This crazy early opening day is responsible for this unwanted urgency.

Demo days are typically sponsored by local ski shops and are free. Just an FYI.

4 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Keep in mind, conditions will be awesome tomorrow.  for about 4 minutes.  After those 4 minutes are the conditions you will most likely experience the most of at Blue.  

I don’t even know if they’re be awesome for the first four minutes but I like your optimism.  Wish it was gonna be a little warmer tomorrow like today for snow to soften. 

While we've got all the cogs of the gear heads grinding here, any suggestions on a pair of skis for me to get this year? I think most of you know my ability level to an extent, or at least you know that I typically show up not too far behind you at the bottom. 6'0" 230 lbs. I spent most of last year on @JFskiDan's Shreditors and really liked them. (Note you'll get them back as soon as the shop at Blue is finished tuning them up for you). I'm looking for something on the long side that can handle the crud. Don't think I'm quite at the point where the bumps will be coming into play just yet. 

If you want to go with a twin tip, I'm a huge fan of the Line Chronics. They are such a great PA ski, in my opinion. If you want to do any park dabbling, I think it makes the most sense to get something that can do it all, and they can handle pretty much everything you throw at it. Still a freestyle-focused ski, but great as an all-mountain ripper, even good in the trees. Very fun, lively, durable, affordable, and playful ski with a medium-stiff flex. I picked up last season's model for $300 a few months ago. Not limp dick noodles, but not skin suit stiff either. Would definitely be a good option if you want something that can dabble in the park, but still be well-mannered on groomers.

Call me a snob (or anti snob?), but I feel like if you have any desire to ski park, it's unnecessary to have 2 pairs of skis for PA when a twin tip with an all-mountain bias can handle the job. If you want something for more gnarly terrain and trips that involve no park skiing, get a second pair to keep around for that purpose. I also prefer a more playful ski for groomers, love launching side booters and goofing off, so that definitely plays a role into my opinion.

I will rock chronics exclusively until I'm dead or in dick deep powder (of which I then break out the bacons).

• Like 1

+1 on the Chronics, that's what I had (still have).

Personally I like Line skis for the East coast, as I have a pair of Sick Days that I also love.
They work well for me in all the conditions at Blue, but they're kinda chatty in the tip when the marbles come out.

A lot of other have also gone to Salmon QSTs, which are probably better in marbles as they have a stiffer front end.

30 minutes ago, Schif said:

While we've got all the cogs of the gear heads grinding here, any suggestions on a pair of skis for me to get this year? I think most of you know my ability level to an extent, or at least you know that I typically show up not too far behind you at the bottom. 6'0" 230 lbs. I spent most of last year on @JFskiDan's Shreditors and really liked them. (Note you'll get them back as soon as the shop at Blue is finished tuning them up for you). I'm looking for something on the long side that can handle the crud. Don't think I'm quite at the point where the bumps will be coming into play just yet. 

Would have never guessed 230.  You carry it well.  

You should ask @GrilledSteezeSandwich about his new all mountain skis from last year.  They might fit the bill for what you are looking for, and I think they may have just not been quite right for him from what I remember.

3 minutes ago, indiggio said:

+1 on the Chronics, that's what I had (still have).

Personally I like Line skis for the East coast, as I have a pair of Sick Days that I also love.
They work well for me in all the conditions at Blue, but they're kinda chatty in the tip when the marbles come out.

A lot of other have also gone to Salmon QSTs, which are probably better in marbles as they have a stiffer front end.

I don't always like to have a stiff front end, but when I do, I use it wisely. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

You should ask @GrilledSteezeSandwich about his new all mountain skis from last year.  They might fit the bill for what you are looking for, and I think they may have just not been quite right for him from what I remember.

The atomics are fine except when at top speed a little chatter a think the lightness of them atributes to that...I like my volky 115s a lot for everyday at blue..those are seriously good skis.  I would have guessed 225lbs for Schif

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

6 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Thanks, I"m blushing. A lot of the reason I'm up that high is that I don't have a table to eat at anymore so it's a lot of fast food on the go......

Edited by Schif
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Justin said:

If you want to go with a twin tip, I'm a huge fan of the Line Chronics.

8 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I have a pair of Sick Days

If I were to decide to get a nice second set for casual skiing, i already planned on one of these two.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I can support the decision for Sick Days. I enjoy mine for almost all conditions. 

well, i'm glad i got my maybe second set of skis lined up and not my primary set.

at least i've already got my outfit ready to go, pretty sweet. what do you guys think.

suit.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, brm05 said:

well, i'm glad i got my maybe second set of skis lined up and not my primary set.

at least i've already got my outfit ready to go, pretty sweet. what do you guys think.

suit.jpg

That’s a sweet ski suit!!  Did it come with a lift ticket.  Those are called fart bags. 

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That’s a sweet ski suit!!  Did it come with a lift ticket.  Those are called fart bags. 

no, maybe you think i'm fuckin around but that ticket is from JFBB last year (mar 1). I could take a close up but i don't care enough to bring it back out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Schif said:

Dont tune them up on my account.  They are, at this point, "community skis."  The shreditors were a huge step up from the tiny noodle you started off with, but not a huge stiff Blue crud buster.  I doubt we would get your big ass foot in my enforcers, but i think you might like them.  You can demo from Blues shop, and i think they have a "try all you want all day" policy.  If you think you might do that, go see what they have first, research, then ski.  im a fan of the Line stuff as well, and i think some stuff in the Blizzard line up might suit you well.  If you want something better than the shredditors in crud, i think you want to make sure it has camber, and i guess stiff in the front like Toast likes.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, indiggio said:

I only had a pair of TTs for when I was teaching my son to ski, so that I could monitor him.
Once he learned to ski, I got regular downhill skies and don't even use the TTs anymore and they're shot.

Most of the bumper have two sets, regular downhill and a pair of mogul skis specifically for the bumps.

@tarponhead and I think @zzslope swear by Blizzards, as I think those have been getting pretty good accolades for all mountain skis lately.
They probably have some opinions on them as well.

Yes, I have two pair of blizzards, a set of latigos,and a set of bushwackers. The latigos are thinner with a sheet of metal making them quicker edge to edge and more damp. The bushwackers are wider without metal. Both sets are good in bumps and on the groomers. The bushwackers are better in soft/deeper/cruddier snow. Unfortunately blizzard discontinued the latigos. I have not tried them but a lot of people rave about blizzard brahmas.