Jack Frost Big Boulder 2019/20

antman12

Instead of making a new thread every time I go with relatively the same content I figured I’d condense it into one thread. Feel free to post your own reports if you want. 

got there at 950 to a light wet snowfall. No real lift lines and a very fun soft snow. Only rode for about 2 hours but we got bored pretty quick. Can’t complain about pre thanksgiving riding. 

Edited by antman12
  • Like 7

Skated outta the office early, ran some errands and got up to BB around 3. Conditions were already crap; loose granular over ice basically. Stayed away from all park features for that reason. Did a quick 11 runs keeping it mellow. They started blowing on a few trails. 

It’s always cool meeting people from down south early in the season. I met 5 different people on the lift from Maryland or Virginia all here for the weekend. 

Edited by antman12
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic morning up at Boulder with @RyGuy19. Great snow, sun, warmish temps, awesome setup on freedom and hardly no lift lines for the first 90 minutes. Took roughly 12 runs in a little over 90 minutes and got out of there. Looking forward to JF opening next weekend and more terrain at Boulder. 

0DC93E0D-F5DA-458F-9859-9939A16A948F.jpeg

638DB2E8-2178-4119-AA14-BDDE90D95A57.gif

B4246E59-7624-485A-910D-394E7341AA07.gif

• Like 8

10 hours ago, EdBacon said:

Kinda bummed they are still only open with Freedom and that one short beginner slope. 

Although they're saying 100% open by next weekend. Plus Jackson Frost is opening Friday.

Agreed. I was a little disappointed that they didn’t expand terrain given the past couple weeks of weather they had. Maybe they are focusing their resources on JF?

BB 100% open this weekend would be awesome though! Looking forward to Frost on Saturday. 

11 hours ago, EdBacon said:

Kinda bummed they are still only open with Freedom and that one short beginner slope. 

Although they're saying 100% open by next weekend. Plus Jackson Frost is opening Friday.

20% open to 100% open makes no sense. I dont ever get why it takes them so long to open other trails at BB, although its my understanding every snowflake is made with fan guns there. 

9 hours ago, antman12 said:

@JFskiDan what can I expect for opening day? Lift and a trail or something more?

at JF?  nothing on east mt.  Definitely one park, and at least one more trial like demattes, maybe challange.  some greens like frosty or janes.  They should actually have a fairly decent opening.  Good thing is, if you start hating it there, just go back to BB.  I call total BS on BB being 100% open this weekend though.  for whatever reason, they are usually like last at getting 100% open.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

at JF?  nothing on east mt.  Definitely one park, and at least one more trial like demattes, maybe challange.  some greens like frosty or janes.  They should actually have a fairly decent opening.  Good thing is, if you start hating it there, just go back to BB.  I call total BS on BB being 100% open this weekend though.  for whatever reason, they are usually like last at getting 100% open.  

Or just come back to Blue. 

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

Thanks Dan. I have low expectations regarding trail count, but you gave me a little hope. I also agree, I cant imagine BB being 100% open.

41 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Or just come back to Blue. 

Ill possibly get both passes again next year. Maybe even take advantage of the end of the season, season pass sale.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, antman12 said:

Thanks Dan. I have low expectations regarding trail count, but you gave me a little hope. I also agree, I cant imagine BB being 100% open.

Ill possibly get both passes again next year. Maybe even take advantage of the end of the season, season pass sale.

Good. You’re definitely missed. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

May check out JFBB Sunday AM if enough is open. Gonna be too busy between GF and kids to make it up to Hunter this weekend. Glad I got 2 days in last weekend, when conditions were better than seems likely this weekend anyway.

Keep us updated and maybe make some Xmas cookies on Saturday and have a hot toddy in your Christmas jammies. 

@RyGuy19 and I shot up the JFBB Sunday morning and honestly not much to report. JF was soft, wet spring like conditions while BB was soft granular with ice starting to creep thru as the runs went on. We were both pretty disappointed in the lack of terrain at both mountains and ultimately left after 3 runs at JF and no more than 8 runs at BB. 

Meh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, antman12 said:

@RyGuy19 and I shot up the JFBB Sunday morning and honestly not much to report. JF was soft, wet spring like conditions while BB was soft granular with ice starting to creep thru as the runs went on. We were both pretty disappointed in the lack of terrain at both mountains and ultimately left after 3 runs at JF and no more than 8 runs at BB. 

Meh.

You've been Vailed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, antman12 said:

Meh.

Not super surprised with terrain at JF, they started pretty late on that. But holy crap, WTF are they doing at Bb?  They added basically 1 trail since opening. First to open, last to get 100% open. Hope everything gets epic there soon for you. 

• Sad 1