Jack Frost Big Boulder 2019/20

antman12

• 2 weeks later...

PPDweg4.jpg

ZEcyqqd.jpg

Good day. 40 degrees in Philly. Started snowing on the way up the turnpike as I got up into the Poconos. Snowed all morning then on and off snow and some breaks of sun starting around noon. Groomers were fun, soft snow but some ice scraped off here and there on the steeper bits. No woods in play. Blow over from the guns mostly melted out so runs like Happyland were bony. You could bag a couple turns here and there but not top to bottom. They only probably picked up about 4 inches. But it looked nice and improved conditions on the groomers. Trees were all rimed up too which looked cool.

Very crowded with the A lift down.

Edited by EdBacon
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Schif said:

What's the average lifespan of a lift? 

30-50 years.  Most of the original late 80s/early 90s detachable across ski country have been replaced or refurbished while a few older fixed grip chairlifts are still in existence.  The Pali chair at Abasin is being replaced next year and that was installed in 1978. The oldest lift I can think of off hand is the single chair at mad river glen which has been in operation since 1948 but had a full restoration several ears back. 

• Like 1

Sunday 01.19.20 at both JF and BB was fantastic. Snowed all day, great snow, good weather, 30 seconds at most lift lines and the Freedom park was fantastic. Floyds Folly was ROTD by far... no brake straight gas top to bottom.

DFCC2E7A-76FE-4257-8858-0B82AC63D81C.gif

Edited by antman12
  • Like 6

Hit the slopes right at eight and skied to 1030 when it started the crowd up. Personally I liked Challenge - they evened out the crossover a little bit so you could maintain some speed right to the challenge trail and it was pretty deserted. But Rivershot and Floyd’s were in good shape also.

81888a9b43b53fb6d7149833db14cd0b.jpg

It was a real pretty scene, with sunshine coming through the trees behind me, but I just missed it by a few seconds when the clouds came in. The clouds cleared up, and it was sunny by the time I left. Nice skiing in the sunshine for a change.

Rumor has it they found a crack in a chair on the Thunderbolt lift, and upon inspection they found a bunch of more chairs cracked. They may be looking at replacing all the chairs.

• Like 2