Opening day at Jack Frost

C1erArt

Conditions were pretty good today, a little warm and the fog and mist started taking over around noon time. Did a bunch of laps on challenge. Still pretty quiet on the slopes. Snow conditions were pretty good first thing in the morning, and got a little soft and rutted up later in the morning. Doesn’t look like much different at Frost, just spruced up a little bit.

bbb8beb4baf1d25e0e7b4d38a80ae63f.jpg

Thunderbolt and East Mountain not open yet. Looks like the ice storm last weekend hit Challenge glade a little bit.

f0a51b489b52c2b0eea2d39b3c6b8c8d.jpg

We had the crown of a tree come down on our roof, no damage but it took a while getting it cleaned up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

Welcome back C1...

Spent most of last winter working, except for a trip out to squaw. Retired this past September, so now I’ll be one of those mid week old geezers you see. Skis were turning pretty good today though.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, C1erArt said:

Spent most of last winter working, except for a trip out to squaw. Retired this past September, so now I’ll be one of those mid week old geezers you see. Skis were turning pretty good today though.

Congrats on retirement. Any ski trips planned for this season?

3 hours ago, C1erArt said:

That’s great. You will love being a mid week old geezer. 

Hit the slopes first thing today, the 23rd. Some new slopes were open – Rivershot over on East Mountain. It was in pretty good shape except for the bottom of the last headwall which was a little cut up and icy. It got pretty crowded later on in the morning.

They opened Thunderbolt today which had good coverage but a lot of ball bearings on the slope from the grooming. Hopefully, it will be in better condition tomorrow.

Exhibition have the full width opened also, and was in pretty good shape.

The major problem was they didn’t open the quad chair at the bottom of Thunderbolt, so if you skied Challenge or Thunderbolt you had to go over to the east mountain chair to get back to the top. Since challenge was the slope in the best shape, I spent a lot of time on the slow east mountain lift and traversing over to challenge.

The snow started getting a little soft around noon time so I called it a day.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, C1erArt said:

Hit the slopes first thing today, the 23rd. Some new slopes were open – Rivershot over on East Mountain. It was in pretty good shape except for the bottom of the last headwall which was a little cut up and icy. It got pretty crowded later on in the morning.

They opened Thunderbolt today which had good coverage but a lot of ball bearings on the slope from the grooming. Hopefully, it will be in better condition tomorrow.

Exhibition have the full width opened also, and was in pretty good shape.

The major problem was they didn’t open the quad chair at the bottom of Thunderbolt, so if you skied Challenge or Thunderbolt you had to go over to the east mountain chair to get back to the top. Since challenge was the slope in the best shape, I spent a lot of time on the slow east mountain lift and traversing over to challenge.

The snow started getting a little soft around noon time so I called it a day.

Glad they got new terrain open. We were up at JF on Sat with no new trails even though they were pounding the mtn with snow. Heard they opened more on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out yesterday, skiing river shot, challenge, thunderbolt, and exhibition. Started out on my Rossi 9s’ on River Shot and switched mid day to my experience 88s to get some more speed and bigger turns on the other slopes. With the A lift still not running to the top of Challenge, and with a strong headwind when coming down the connector from East mountain lift, I did a lot of tucking and skating yesterday. To add insult to injury, they don’t have the crossover from the connector trail to challenge open, so you have to go almost to the lift to get on the trail.

On the plus side, challenge and exhibition were still fairly pristine and empty when I left around 1 PM.

Getting close on Floyds, hope the warm weather this weekend doesn’t set them back to far. I think Vail is keeping them on a pretty short leash.

2b7776412260723f20e4621421b2d795.jpgcd7d4d478b144e87b4d35a3ff06174f1.jpg. First picture is the top of Floyd’s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

Probably when we see sidewinder and switchback as well. 

Ahhh but Floyd’s is their premier run. I remember my uncle who was a patroller at Jack Frost used to warn me about Floyd’s.  For the longest time he used to say why don’t you give back to the sport and become a patroller..

River Shot probably has some steeper drops than Floyds, because it is more like a staircase with two drops with a flat area between while Floyd's is all one drop.

But i would say having the drop all in one go with no opportunity to stop on a flat area makes for a more daunting run. If you fall, you are a lot more likely to slide all the way down, and if you can't turn well on steeps, you will pick up a lot more speed by the bottom. Also Floyd's is narrower.

River Shot has some great views on it though - it is my fav non gladed run at Frost.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski