Opening day at Jack Frost

C1erArt

I don't really see a need for larger crowds. Even if it doesnt make money, Vail would keep Frost running as a way to get more PA skiers buying Epic passes. That is its real point now. And BB is there to get PA Park lovers to buy Epic passes.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

I don't really see a need for larger crowds. Even if it doesnt make money, Vail would keep Frost running as a way to get more PA skiers buying Epic passes. That is its real point now. And BB is there to get PA Park lovers to buy Epic passes.

As well as the vacation home owners both at Jack Frost, big boulder, and in the area in general. and they did put a lot of effort into one park, there are some huge jumps with mountains of snow there

Plus, a lot of the people on buses from New York City that get there later in the season never make it over to the eastern end of the mountain. Or at least they shouldn’t.

2 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I have to agree with Ski2Live and I think there’s still a popcorn machine in the E2000 discotek..free popcorn for epic pass holders 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Schif said:

From a quick look on their website, they seem to be offering ski and stay packages with JFBB. 

Sounds like another entry for nelsap.org

I’m sure it will be packed for MLK people.  The fence sitters will pull the trigger now that Floyd’s Folly is open!!!!

56 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

I think teaching the groomer crew how to groom snow would do it. Although, it’s probably they just don’t spend enough time grooming the larger mountain.

Blue's groomer crew doesn't give a shit about snow quality, which is pretty obvious when you leave snow boulders down the middle of the trails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

And all of that stinks in my opinion.

It stinks to keep it running even if it doesnt have long lift lines and over crowded slopes?

I wish there were more local places that were not overcrowded on weekends.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Does split rock operate a small ski area?

They did a long time ago. I skied there once in the early 80s - ome of the first places I skied. Was staying there so I did a some free runs there one day and then the next day got a lift ticket to ski JF & (pre-park) BB.

Under 200 foot of vertical I'd say. I think they had a chair, but I believe only a surface lift was running when Inwas there. 

3 hours ago, indiggio said:

As bad as Barb is out laying out $, I fear that if a biggie would purchase Blue the same shit would happen.

Agree.  As much as we might complain about some things at Blue, it could go totally the other direction.  Blue is fucked up, but its our kind of fucked up.  

3 hours ago, Schif said:

It's hard for me to believe that a resort would just completely give up on a lift during the season like that. 

They can actually function without that lift.  Not super convenient, but Vail isnt in the convenience business.  

2 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

This is probably accurate, that is their business model.  Its also pretty apparent at this time, putting money into those resorts isnt a priority.  I have been saying this since the get go.  The quad at JF, and the fact that BB is just a little over half open, proves this.  JFBB has been Vailed.  I can guarantee that my somewhat unconventional mechanic skills could fix their "banana in the tail pipe"  (algea clogging snow guns) Honestly, anyone with half a brain should be able to figure out a solution there.  i dont think this issue is bothering Vail too much.  

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Blue's groomer crew doesn't give a shit about snow quality, which is pretty obvious when you leave snow boulders down the middle of the trails.

True.  And i think its odd that even patrol i guess considers this the "new normal.:"  But, lets not forget, these are the guys that opened Razors when it was a complete sheet of ice.   You would think at some point, some employee of decent stature would step up and say, "you know, our grooming kind of sucks at times."

What will be really interesting, is what happens to the other 3 PA Vail resorts.  I wonder if pass sales from those areas would drop so low they would consider them a loss.  It seems like those people down there hate the idea of traveling to other mountains, and if conditions at those places really go downhill, will people just give up?  I would imagine those places are really not seeing any love from Vail at all.  They have been Vailed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

But, lets not forget, these are the guys that opened Razors when it was a complete sheet of ice.   You would think at some point, some employee of decent stature would step up and say, "you know, our grooming kind of sucks at times."

They also left Razor's open when it was the mogul run from planet Hoth.
Having done both, I don't know which version I hated more!?!?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, indiggio said:

They also left Razor's open when it was the mogul run from planet Hoth.
Having done both, I don't know which version I hated more!?!?

Mogul run from planet Hoth sucked, but ice sheet made me think i might die.  

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

What will be really interesting, is what happens to the other 3 PA Vail resorts.  I wonder if pass sales from those areas would drop so low they would consider them a loss.  It seems like those people down there hate the idea of traveling to other mountains, and if conditions at those places really go downhill, will people just give up?  I would imagine those places are really not seeing any love from Vail at all.  They have been Vailed.  

If they at least break even - which seems likely - they will keep them going. Though they may not give any of them particularly great attention, as they are pretty much the only game in town for day trippers from Baltimore, DC and Harrisburg.

Even if they didn't break even if pays to keep one open to sell Epic passes to folks from those area. Whitetail is the natural choice tonshow the most love, as the newest of them and the highest vertical (skiers who care about vertical or more likely candidates to buy Epic passes than those content on smaller hills).  

14 hours ago, NMSKI said:

Mogul run from planet Hoth sucked, but ice sheet made me think i might die.  

Was the other way round for me.  I just pointed them on the ice sheet, since I knew I could slow on the flat.
I was truly scared on Hoth and could have used a Truly hard seltzer after that adventure.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, poconoceancity said:

I think their last season open was 2002ish. I was hoping to teach my girls there. That’s how we ended up at Eagle Rock.

RidgeRacer and my self made some epic turns there when we had that snow in October many moons ago.  

Truth is, we did ski there, but it was far from epic.  

12 hours ago, poconoceancity said:

I think their last season open was 2002ish. I was hoping to teach my girls there. That’s how we ended up at Eagle Rock.

Do you have a house at Eagle rock now? My brother is the golf course superintendent.