Opening day at Jack Frost

C1erArt

5 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

I agree with your first sentence, but disagree with the rest. If i was still skiing frost, and it was going to vaporize the following year, there is no way i would still be on an epic pass. Where the fuck would i ski on weekends when im in the poconos?  The half open BB?  Drive to hunter 30 times?  (No carpooling with skitoolive either)

@poconoceancity, if JF was to close, what would you do?  Stay on the Epic pass, or move on to Blue/Toe/Montage?

closing any resort wont funnel more people onto the epic pass. JF and BB are really two different resorts. They could probably litter some more trails at JF with park features, and get the park crowd over to JF, but tell the JF crowd to go ski BB?  Thats probably not gonna work. 

If JF closed I’d be done with the epic pass. I’m pretty certain this is our last season there. Not sure where we will end up next season. Blue, CB and Montage are all on the list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poconoceancity said:

If JF closed I’d be done with the epic pass. I’m pretty certain this is our last season there. Not sure where we will end up next season. Blue, CB and Montage are all on the list.

What’s the difference in travel time between them all? Or doesn’t that matter to you?

On 2/5/2020 at 1:28 AM, EdBacon said:

edit: I want to find some numbers. The best I can show is that mountains on mega passes saw something like 8-9% of visits using those passes (not as a local season pass). But its hard to say that those numbers are a total increase since visits increase y-o-y in any case, and you have to assume none of those using the mega pass wouldn't have visited without. So there is an increase but its not a huge influx of people.

Anyway here is some data: comparing Sugarbush which is on the Mountain Collective/Max/Ikon Pass system, and MRG which as you know is totally independent. Skier visits between the two pretty much track the same, and seem to be more weather dependent than anything. 

2FMcNSA.jpg

@EdBacon - Are you on the Ikon FB group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/ikonpassholders/ It feels like people are constantly wanting to see the stats for the effects of mega passes. There are some stats floating around there too. The TGR forums talk about it too. 

It might make more people buy a BB/JF pass if they're planning ski vacations that year but you'll notice the largest increase in ridership at the already large mountains like Vail, Whistler, etc. I doubt many west coasters will be clamoring to come ski JF/BB...

10 minutes ago, skiincy said:

@EdBacon - Are you on the Ikon FB group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/ikonpassholders/ It feels like people are constantly wanting to see the stats for the effects of mega passes. There are some stats floating around there too. The TGR forums talk about it too. 

It might make more people buy a BB/JF pass if they're planning ski vacations that year but you'll notice the largest increase in ridership at the already large mountains like Vail, Whistler, etc. I doubt many west coasters will be clamoring to come ski JF/BB...

I just joined that group.  Good pictures and commentary. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful day at JF.

Medium crowds, the lodge had plenty of tables available. Thunderbolt lift still wasn't spinning, but no big deal as there were no lift lines anywhere.

Coverage on the other hand was varying. Many trails had hidden ice spots, some were really bad. We've skied everything east of Lehigh trail. First two runs on Lehigh and the park were awesome, which made the following run down Exhibition practically a disaster. Good, grippy snow suddenly changing to thin covered ice is no fun. But once we eventually got to the East mountain, things changed again, as snow there was generally great, with Challenge being the best. We could've looped it forever.

I kinda like seeing Thunderbolt lift down. Not so many people on Thunderbolt and Challenge, and with that plus some good snow we were just flying Challenge down.

If you had plans to go to JF this year, I'd do it sooner rather than later. There are no bare spots, but the coverage looks thin in some places. IDK how long it's gonna last.

• Like 2

Great hero snow today. Grill smells in parking lot. Great day.

Agreed that they are probably not gonna last much longer. With rain all week I find it hard to see them staying open through mid-March.

That being said, Happyland was open today. 

Edited by EdBacon

On 1/10/2020 at 8:27 PM, antman12 said:

Your spot on about the last drop on river shot, although I do like dorkin around on the flat run out with all of that speed. And like you said, get it early. 

I just learned you can go off trail top to bottom on challenge couple weeks back. Will continue exploring as we hopefully get more snow. 

Antman are you starting to miss Blue mountain?  Season passes are on sale $429

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 3:37 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Antman are you starting to miss Blue mountain?  Season passes are on sale $429

I missed Blue a lot in late January/early Feb. But ive had a blast at JFBB the past few weekends. Might try and get up to blue to take advantage of the early pass sale before the end of the season if I'm able to. Ill definitely be back with a Blue and Peak pass next season.

I certainly miss the HS lifts, vert and sausage Sundays.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, antman12 said:

I missed Blue a lot in late January/early Feb. But ive had a blast at JFBB the past few weekends. Might try and get up to blue to take advantage of the early pass sale before the end of the season if I'm able to. Ill definitely be back with a Blue and Peak pass next season.

I certainly miss the HS lifts, vert and sausage Sundays.

Right on...you pretty much dropped off the face of the earth this season.  

2 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Just saw the epic local for 20/21 dropped... $729.

They're putting out a NE "value" pass for $599.

Unlimited at JFBB, Wildcat, Attitash and their other PA hills. 

Limited access to Hunter, Okemo and Mount Snow. And 10 days at Stowe with holiday restrictions. 

Edited by EdBacon
  • Like 1

Was up to the land of slow lifts and fast snow this morning, after yesterday morning at Blue in between the rain. Temperature was 36° when I got there and 43 when I left around noon. After the rain last night, the slopes were in surprisingly good shape with just some frozen ice puddles on a couple of the flat spots.

Exhibition and thunderbolt were a little crunchy to start off with, but challenge and East mountain were nice. The surprise of the day was Demattes, it was in excellent shape. Nice carving turns without any annoying flaws in the grooming.

Honestly, JF has been in fairly good shape this year despite the slow pace of snowmaking and the lift issues. Considering the inclement weather, they've resurfaced fairly well. Hoping for some nice hero snow this Sunday. 

For laughs I looked up how many inches of snow JFBB are reporting YTD. As of today, March 4th...20 inches. Camelback is reporting 21. In reality its probably around 12. I'm not sure whether to be sad over how pathetic this is or impressed over the fact that most resorts in the area have been mostly open with decent conditions.