Best resort for First time skiers

bobafet

If I were just learning and from NYC I would seriously consider doing it at Big Snow - the indoor place at American Dream at Meadowlands.
Too small for experienced skiers to get much out of, but the controlled temp should make for ideal snow conditions for learners.

100% disagree. Skiing is also about being outdoors, on the mountain with nature. Not inside of a man made structure built on swampland in New Jersey. If he was learning in July then sure.
  • Like 7

On 1/5/2020 at 10:28 PM, RidgeRacer said:

100% disagree. Skiing is also about being outdoors, on the mountain with nature. Not inside of a man made structure built on swampland in New Jersey. If he was learning in July then sure.

Ultimately sure, but if all I am going to do is spend a few hours on a bunny slope, the beauty of Blue's valley learning area does not to me warrant an extra 3 hrs round trip drive, less certain snow conditions and likely less pleasant weather. 

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Ultimately sure, but if all I am going to do is spend a few hours on a bunny slope, the beauty of Blue's valley learning area does not to me warrant an extra 3 hrs round trip drive, less certain snow conditions and likely less pleasant weather. 

You always gotta get your jabs in don't you? Stick to music and your mighty, Himalaya like Catskill mountains.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

You always gotta get your jabs in don't you? Stick to music and your mighty, Himalaya like Catskill mountains.

Sorry, the topic here is good areas for first timers based in NYC, not Blue.

If you were willing to drive an extra 3 hrs to ski in natural beauty I expect you would have an Elk pass not a Blue pass.

Sorry, the topic here is good areas for first timers based in NYC, not Blue.
If you were willing to drive an extra 3 hrs to ski in natural beauty I expect you would have an Elk pass not a Blue pass.

Read. The OP went to Blue and had a great time. So much so that he (or she) wants to go skiing again. So yes this is about Blue.

Second (and this may come as a shock to you) your opinions are not fact. There are plenty of places where Blue has natural beauty. When I lived in Philly (a while back) coming to blue was like getting out into the wilderness and it was part of the experience. It's called perspective (this person is coming from NY). Are you seriously that arrogant that you believe your opinions are universally shared by everyone else? My opinion is that skiing in a fucking man made tube in East Rutherford NJ in the winter is stupid. I wouldn't expect everyone else to subscribe to it.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

Read. The OP went to Blue and had a great time. So much so that he (or she) wants to go skiing again. So yes this is about Blue.

Second (and this may come as a shock to you) your opinions are not fact. There are plenty of places where Blue has natural beauty. When I lived in Philly (a while back) coming to blue was like getting out into the wilderness and it was part of the experience. It's called perspective (this person is coming from NY). Are you seriously that arrogant that you believe your opinions are universally shared by everyone else? My opinion is that skiing in a fucking man made tube in East Rutherford NJ in the winter is stupid. I wouldn't expect everyone else to subscribe to it.

If you don't believe your opinions are better than others, then allow me to state mine without arguing against it. I offered the 2 closest to NYC options ideal for learners that nobody else had mentioned. It was a helpful non contentious contribution to a thread, and folks chose to argue with me.

22 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

If you don't believe your opinions are better than others, then allow me to state mine without arguing against it. I offered the 2 closest to NYC options ideal for learners that nobody else had mentioned. It was a helpful non contentious contribution to a thread, and folks chose to argue with me.

His opinion is better than yours because he’s a well respected member of the PASR community and you either did or didn’t meet a girl in Colorado..hard to believe because those mountain chicks are badass and you’re a fool. 

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

His opinion is better than yours because he’s a well respected member of the PASR community and you either did or didn’t meet a girl in Colorado..hard to believe because those mountain chicks are badass and you’re a fool. 

Or maybe because be suggested Blue and this is a Blue boosters board more than anything else

You suggested it and that's fine. I disagreed with it and that's fine too. You then, in turn, make an underhanded jab at Blue (or PA) like you frequently do which, in turn, results in contention. There are plenty of well respected PASRs who ski and live in MUCH better places than either PA or NY and they never shit on PA. You, for some reason, like to and it's old TBH.

30 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Or maybe because be suggested Blue and this is a Blue boosters board more than anything else

A lot of people have seen the light and the light is blue...I understand why you didn’t like Blue..you couldn’t make it to the hill till the crack of 10..plus it’s not hunter. 

3 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Blue is a fine place to get on snow and make some turns when you can get a good deal, crowds are light, and it isn't far away. I have skied Blue or Little Gap over 100 times. Sorry if I dont see it as anything more than one of my 4 favorite Mid Atlantic ski areas.

STFU

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

I actually suggested Shawnee (post #13 above) but ok.

Great place for folks learning, and pretty easy access from NY. Would be my first choice in PA for a beginner coming from NY. Was my girls home mointain their 2nd and 3rd skisons (1st one was at Spring). 

Also some of the nicer views in the Poconos, along with Jack Frost and Elk.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

49 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Great place for folks learning, and pretty easy access from NY. Would be my first choice in PA for a beginner coming from NY. Was my girls home mointain their 2nd and 3rd skisons (1st one was at Spring). 

Also some of the nicer views in the Poconos, along with Jack Frost and Elk.

How are the views of the Snow World shit-dome that you think is great, yet haven't been there? 

36 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

How are the views of the Snow World shit-dome that you think is great, yet haven't been there? 

Probably not great. All I am saying is it os the most convenient place to ski from NYC, has everything a beginner needs to learn, and reportedly has good reliable snow. Planned to have my kids learn there when I lived a few miles from it, then they delayed opening for over a decade.