VT or NH?

EdBacon

Hey all. I need to take a vacation. I haven't ever had a vacation in my life, unless you count the times my folks took me to the shore when I was a kid. I'd look for pieces of glass under the boardwalk, sometimes find a syringe or a finger. We'd pick fresh fish right out of Raritan Bay. They were hardly even dead longer than a day. It was great. But then my aunt would show up and fight with my dad and we'd go home early. Anyway that was 15 years ago we last did that in any case. So I need to take a fucking vacation as an adult, which I've technically been for 11 years now. 

I can't fly on a goddamn plane yet. I tried for a business trip a few years back and ended up screaming about how we were all going to die the whole way to Chicago. Medication is an option. Or booze. Honestly I want to just fly without mind altering substances so I'm trying to train myself via exposure to shorter flights first. Also, putting a nice big reward at the end should help. My plan is to fly up to New England to get acclimated to being on a plane, then next year making a bigger leap, maybe to Colorado or something like that. So, for the East Coast, my main conflict is between Vermont where I can fly into Burlington, have a decent range of stuff to occupy me in town, and several resorts within 1 - 1.5 hour drive time. However flights to Burlington are expensive, and so are lift tickets in that neck of the woods. New Hampshire wins on cost: $100 flight round trip to Manchester, and my Peak Pass (RIP) is good at two White Mountains areas (Wildcat and Attitash) which saves a good chunk of change on expenses. The problem being, where the fuck do you stay up there? And what do you do?

So does anyone have any advice on places to stay/eat/drink in the White Mountains? I plan on spending like a week-ish up there. So enough distraction during the evening and night that I don't just watch fucking wheel of fortune in my hotel room. I mean, Vanna White still looks great at 62 (and she's single) but some more stimulation would be great. 

Thanks and God bless. And happy new year. 

Edited by EdBacon
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

See a psychologist.  

You know how inconvenient that is? My insurance doesn't cover therapy, and those sessions are expensive. I'd rather go on vacation. I can see a psychiatrist, but I don't need a guy to just prescribe me xanax, again. 

Edited by EdBacon

10 minutes ago, EdBacon said:

You know how inconvenient that is? My insurance doesn't cover therapy, and those sessions are expensive. I'd rather go on vacation. I can see a psychiatrist, but I don't need a guy to just prescribe me xanax, again. 

So what than just pay for it and fucking go skiing out west if that’s what you wanna do. Who the fuck flys for a ski trip to NH and VT and if you need baby steps to fly man the fuck yo and go on dr. Phil but his studio is in LA so it’s like a 3 day Amtrak ride or 4 days on a greyhound bus and you might get your toes licked by a sex offender. If you need someone to prescribe you Xanax or marijuana or Prozac or whatever see a doctor. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

39 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Ed Bacon your New Years resolution should be to not be a fucking pussy and as for night life on a ski trip to New Hampshire or vermont..looking at Vanna White is better than most of the saggy tit locals male and female.  

Pretty critical coming from the overweight dude who lives in a hotel. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

So what than just pay for it and fucking go skiing out west if that’s what you wanna do. Who the fuck flys for a ski trip to NH and VT and if you need baby steps to fly man the fuck yo and go on dr. Phil but his studio is in LA so it’s like a 3 day Amtrak ride or 4 days on a greyhound bus and you might get your toes licked by a sex offender. If you need someone to prescribe you Xanax or marijuana or Prozac or whatever see a doctor. 

Isn't Dr Phil the one that tells you to drink juice if you have cancer and shit?

I already said I don't want to medicate myself. A psychologist I'd talk to for therapy/behavioral modification shit. I can go see a psychiatrist but they just exist to give you meds. Not something I'm keen on doing. I have a fear of flying, not fucking schizophrenia. Jesus. So I'd rather just fly straight up but I don't want to get locked in an aluminum tube for 4.5 hours my first go around. But whatever dude I'll just get hammered beforehand or something. 

Edited by EdBacon
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, EdBacon said:

Hey all. I need to take a vacation. I haven't ever had a vacation in my life, unless you count the times my folks took me to the shore when I was a kid. I'd look for pieces of glass under the boardwalk, sometimes find a syringe or a finger. We'd pick fresh fish right out of Raritan Bay. They were hardly even dead longer than a day. It was great. But then my aunt would show up and fight with my dad and we'd go home early. Anyway that was 15 years ago we last did that in any case. So I need to take a fucking vacation as an adult, which I've technically been for 11 years now. 

I can't fly on a goddamn plane yet. I tried for a business trip a few years back and ended up screaming about how we were all going to die the whole way to Chicago. Medication is an option. Or booze. Honestly I want to just fly without mind altering substances so I'm trying to train myself via exposure to shorter flights first. Also, putting a nice big reward at the end should help. My plan is to fly up to New England to get acclimated to being on a plane, then next year making a bigger leap, maybe to Colorado or something like that. So, for the East Coast, my main conflict is between Vermont where I can fly into Burlington, have a decent range of stuff to occupy me in town, and several resorts within 1 - 1.5 hour drive time. However flights to Burlington are expensive, and so are lift tickets in that neck of the woods. New Hampshire wins on cost: $100 flight round trip to Manchester, and my Peak Pass (RIP) is good at two White Mountains areas (Wildcat and Attitash) which saves a good chunk of change on expenses. The problem being, where the fuck do you stay up there? And what do you do?

So does anyone have any advice on places to stay/eat/drink in the White Mountains? I plan on spending like a week-ish up there. So enough distraction during the evening and night that I don't just watch fucking wheel of fortune in my hotel room. I mean, Vanna White still looks great at 62 (and she's single) but some more stimulation would be great. 

Thanks and God bless. And happy new year. 

I really hope you’re not serious. Just get on the plane and fly out west, if that’s what you really want to do. Think about it next time you drive the turnpike, I-78 or 80. Now THAT is scary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momskeeztoo said:

I really hope you’re not serious. Just get on the plane and fly out west, if that’s what you really want to do. Think about it next time you drive the turnpike, I-78 or 80. Now THAT is scary. 

Completely serious. I'll hit up a psychiatrist for some xanax then. 

Edited by EdBacon

If you want to come to NH/VT by car or plane, go for it. Your Peak Pass is good at Crotched, Mt. Snow, Attitash, and Wildcat. That would make for a good North--south driving safari. Mt. Snow probably has the best snow of all four right now. It's been a grim winter up here so far unless you like boilerplate and holiday crowds.  Vermont has WAY better beer than NH, but any ski area is going to be reasonably near a brewpub. If you need nightlife beyond that you haven't skied hard enough.

BUT: if you fly in and rent a car, it won't have winter tires and trust me, you want winter fucking tires up here. Don't believe anyone who tells you that AWD with "all season" tires is fine. I spend a lot of my free time treating those people after they slide across oncoming lanes and/or into ditches and trees. 

But I kind of agree with the fly-out-west argument, maybe with a couple of short connecting flights to break things up and some medical help to relax. You may not want chemical assistance, but also nobody wants to be on a plane with someone who's hysterical, so just have a big ol' pot gummy before you get on the plane and wean yourself off the drugs as you get more used to flying. Flying is an irrational act; there's no moral victory in "toughing it out" sober when there is help available to overcome your perfectly reasonable fear. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

If you want to come to NH/VT by car or plane, go for it. Your Peak Pass is good at Crotched, Mt. Snow, Attitash, and Wildcat. That would make for a good North--south driving safari. Mt. Snow probably has the best snow of all four right now. It's been a grim winter up here so far unless you like boilerplate and holiday crowds.  Vermont has WAY better beer than NH, but any ski area is going to be reasonably near a brewpub. If you need nightlife beyond that you haven't skied hard enough.

BUT: if you fly in and rent a car, it won't have winter tires and trust me, you want winter fucking tires up here. Don't believe anyone who tells you that AWD with "all season" tires is fine. I spend a lot of my free time treating those people after they slide across oncoming lanes and/or into ditches and trees. 

But I kind of agree with the fly-out-west argument, maybe with a couple of short connecting flights to break things up and some medical help to relax. You may not want chemical assistance, but also nobody wants to be on a plane with someone who's hysterical, so just have a big ol' pot gummy before you get on the plane and wean yourself off the drugs as you get more used to flying. Flying is an irrational act; there's no moral victory in "toughing it out" sober when there is help available to overcome your perfectly reasonable fear. 

I'll look into the edibles idea. Thanks. I like that a lot more than xanax. Personally I'd rather just do one flight than have to get on and off planes and wait longer to do the whole thing.

Edited by EdBacon

I gotta agree with the commenta about the shortcomings of all season tires after my recent trip to VT. Some real tricky driving on slick Mt roads had me wishing for better tires.

Also, we changed plans from Attitash/Wildcat to Okemo/MtSnow based on more snow fall and % open in S.Vt.