Southern PA sucks (Roundtop and Liberty 1/2)

rgrwilco

Since peak bought snowtime, I wanted to check out some resorts that I’ve never been to, and probably won’t have the chance to get to again. The original plan was to drive to whitetail, then hit liberty, then Roundtop on the way home. Whitetail is by far the biggest of the three but only had one trail off the top open so I figured I would just check out liberty and Roundtop.

The weather didn’t help things, but these hills are so boring and lame great conditions wouldn’t help. Liberty is super weird. You can see if for a while driving up to it, and it’s just a small bump sticking out of farmland.

fab95de92f343190ab041189cc7393d7.jpg

As you drive around to the front side, the roads change from moderately maintained backroads to perfectly paved two lane. The actual resort at liberty is insanely impressive, the lots are paved and marked. Multiple sit down restaurants and a hotel slope side. I just can’t fathom why all this was built on this tiny hill.

03f886cc221c92226ac201c45d066a1e.jpg

The park is serviced by a j bar. Super cool.

a1fd1a4ccd6255f67c63c77a1fcc0a9a.jpg

bbadfdfc49d4ede94b437e87d6ff01b1.jpg

It looks like this was a trail at one point. Shame it’s gone, one of only a few short steep pitches.

edf48d6e224321c95e0959fba06d7142.jpg

At the top you sitting on a ridge maybe 50 feet wide. And you have quite a few trails to try. The front side (lodge and park side) looked boring so I tried the back. Conditions were soft and fun but if it doesn’t get cold soon, they area gonna have to close

0386ae989aaee8bd33b94c02fd882752.jpg44228a71a93fdf32a517cfd3881fbf87.jpgea9eb96cf7c133ede3296b665d6fc130.jpg6ff6659f2d8fb6537e1ea2add28221db.jpg

I hit each open trail twice and got bored so headed to Roundtop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Roundtop

Took what seemed like 45 minutes to get from liberty to Roundtop. Roundtop reminds me of spring mountain, it’s lame and there’s houses nearby. You can see the strange looking bump quite a while before you get there

f91138f1805a06486f2002510bff9e0f.jpg

I got a a spot right at the lift.

26d7416c671662381572eb269b8a2f6f.jpg

The snow was some of the iciest snow I’ve ridden in years. The layout it very boring and nothing steep was open. The crowds were crappy too. They would always stop right at the bottom of an icy headwall and Wonder why someone almost hit them.

5b984615a83c76756c706b432861e1d8.jpgd437d5cef04eacfb432d8b8d929820ca.jpg9c0dfb8b492b95f666831db8997ee8fb.jpg

So that was that. I’m glad I went but these bills are way smaller than advertised, ski tracks showed around 500 vert. Both resorts reminded me of skiing in the Midwest. Conditions aside, the terrain in the Poconos does seem light years better. If it gets cold soon I’ll definitely head out to whitetail as that place looks legitimately fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Also started exploring them as I got a Peak Pass (then switched to Epic).

Had a great day at Whitetail end of season last year - the one time I have been there. It was 100% open and their 2nd peak was covered in soft natural bumps. I would go back.

Did Roundtop (1 trail open) to start the season in November  as a warm up as it was a lot better than what BB was offering. If they get 100% open I could see trying it for variety from Frost on a day I did not want to drive as far as Whitetail or Hunter.

Liberty and Roundtop are definitely located really deep inside MASH mid Atlantic ski hell..just like resorts in the Midwest and the poconos they are feeder hills that introduce people to the sport and get them excited.  Makes you appreciate blue mountain more as it’s better than like 99% of the ski areas outside of New England and the Rockies.  

2 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Also started exploring them as I got a Peak Pass (then switched to Epic).

Had a great day at Whitetail end of season last year - the one time I have been there. It was 100% open and their 2nd peak was covered in soft natural bumps. I would go back.

Did Roundtop (1 trail open) to start the season in November  as a warm up as it was a lot better than what BB was offering. If they get 100% open I could see trying it for variety from Frost on a day I did not want to drive as far as Whitetail or Hunter.

Princeton to Roundtop is only 9 more miles than Princeton to Hunter mtn. 

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Princeton to Roundtop is only 9 more miles than Princeton to Hunter mtn. 

When skiing with girls I often am starting and ending day at my parents place outside Philly. That was the case when I went there. Would be far less likely to RT there from my place in Lawrenceville NJ

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

2 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

i was surprised to find out last year that roundtop is only an hour and a half from my parents house.  never would have thought that central PA resorts were a closer drive than the poconos

Wow, i just did google maps out of curiosity, and Roundtop is 1 hour 38 from my house and Blue is 1 hour 37.  

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Are we gonna lose you to the Roundtop riders?  I heard some of the Sad Boyz also roll at the R-tizzy..

I don't think so, but if I do I'm gonna start my own crew called the Happy Boyz.  Everyone in my crew will have to be smiley and jolly like me.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Shadows said:

In terms of value, how does it compare to hunter?

For a day when I was getting a late start due to a combination of a time change and a full program of nocturnal activities, a place that was closer and did not shut lifts at 4 was a much better value, with no charge for me to go either place other than gas and tolls.

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

For a day when I was getting a late start due to a combination of a time change and a full program of nocturnal activities, a place that was closer and did not shut lifts at 4 was a much better value, with no charge for me to go either place other than gas and tolls.

Way to get after it!!!  You sure aren’t an early riser