Killington day 1

tarponhead

Day 2:

We decided to start at bear because snow was best there yesterday. 8:sumptin start time as our legs feeling it and crew was banged up from yesterday. 45F ish and snow was soft and flat. Bumps where still set so had to wait to soften. Woods were no longer in play. Took a break at 10:30 (hot chocolate) and we were all decidedly still nicked up from yesterday so decided on low-hanging fruit goal of skiing over to rams head and back.

While on lift line at rams head heard someone call us out. Was the 6 Canadian girls staying at same hostel. They asked to ski with us and we like ‘ok’. We headed back to bear and first run apparent they were bunch of ringers arcing turns etc. Collectively they skied Japan, Norway (combined sail surf trip) and heli skied BC back country. . We were ripping back, having fun riffing off of each other’s lines and basically skied as a fun unit. Outer limits was stupid hero snow by afternoon yet superstar was still ice ((slide 30’ at Mach silly until you saw some snow and turned).

Anyway, skied until 3 when we felt first rain drops. Girls wanted live music so hung at bear lodge for apres and song. Finished night at hostel chatting bs-ing around the family table. I told them it was like skiing with their Dad’s but no one was buying them dinner (they got a good laugh at that). I’ll miss their stupid accents.

Girls and my crew going home today. Rain is here and I’m pretty sure I’m not dropping K$ for today. May hit local library, do some work and try to make a dent in my pile of unread New Yorkers.

Awesome 2 days skiing. Winter returns tonight so see what miracles Killy ops can do (?)

• Like 4

Day 3

Late start but arrived at Pico 10:30 ish. Was not planning on skiing but sun came out. Never been but this place has potential. Reminds me of a smaller smuggs. Only lower mountain open as upper lift was not spinning. Winds still blowing but calling bs on wind hold. Upper trails had enough coverage to connect the dots. Sun soon disappeared then the rains came. Then the snow came. Then the sleet came. It even started doing something that looked like baby squids. This state got some weird weather... snow was mixed. Frozen moon craters on some trails to fluffier surface with occasional frozen rivers that you traversed at speed. Blue skies by 3. Skied until 3:30 and called it a day. Would recommend going back when more terrain is open.

14ba0bb24019af5db78ec0861fc5f3c9.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, tarponhead said:

Day 2:

We decided to start at bear because snow was best there yesterday. 8:sumptin start time as our legs feeling it and crew was banged up from yesterday. 45F ish and snow was soft and flat. Bumps where still set so had to wait to soften. Woods were no longer in play. Took a break at 10:30 (hot chocolate) and we were all decidedly still nicked up from yesterday so decided on low-hanging fruit goal of skiing over to rams head and back.

While on lift line at rams head heard someone call us out. Was the 6 Canadian girls staying at same hostel. They asked to ski with us and we like ‘ok’. We headed back to bear and first run apparent they were bunch of ringers arcing turns etc. Collectively they skied Japan, Norway (combined sail surf trip) and heli skied BC back country. . We were ripping back, having fun riffing off of each other’s lines and basically skied as a fun unit. Outer limits was stupid hero snow by afternoon yet superstar was still ice ((slide 30’ at Mach silly until you saw some snow and turned).

Anyway, skied until 3 when we felt first rain drops. Girls wanted live music so hung at bear lodge for apres and song. Finished night at hostel chatting bs-ing around the family table. I told them it was like skiing with their Dad’s but no one was buying them dinner (they got a good laugh at that). I’ll miss their stupid accents.

Girls and my crew going home today. Rain is here and I’m pretty sure I’m not dropping K$ for today. May hit local library, do some work and try to make a dent in my pile of unread New Yorkers.

Awesome 2 days skiing. Winter returns tonight so see what miracles Killy ops can do (?)

Nice report.  Top or bottom bunk??

On 1/12/2020 at 8:32 AM, tarponhead said:

My pile of unread New Yorkers got me to drop the Subscription. I miss it though

58 minutes ago, Schif said:

My pile of unread New Yorkers got me to drop the Subscription. I miss it though

I used to get lots of magazines. Ski, skiing, snow country, powder, Freeze...Newsweek, consumer reports.  I don’t ever remember reading the New Yorker.  The New York Times magazine yes.  The only time I read print media is on planes. 

Tarponhead nice report!!!  Picking up impromptu ski partners is always fun.  

Day 4

Arrived at snowdon lift at ~9:30 (pro tip, park in corner next to lift. Easy access to lift and car for lunch). Guns blasting all over mountain. 25F and receding winds. Ice baby ice. Wow! Swept mountain from snowdon to bear and back. Bear ok. Outer limits and wildfire closed so no bumps. Some guns blowing wet so almost went over the handle bars a few times. By end of day mousetrap-down was skiing grate because guns blowing good product. Got word two bumper friends joining me Wednesday. [emoji41] oh yeah, I’m talking to my skis now so I got that going for me...

Couple of hero to zero pics

d1c6cee111896d34a8e2a25eed7ae555.jpga355bb1feb00666010f496e111fd8e72.jpg

• Like 4

Day 5:

9 o’clock start. No visibility. K did a great job recovering. Conditions were hard pack to soft on trails where snowmaking happened yesterday. No bumps or trees though. Mountain ambassador said K went from 130+ trails to ~75 from this last thaw/rain. Ouch! Bear mountain skied best but notable call outs were East falls and mouse trap.was a fun day but beginning to feel like Charlie Brown sitting out in the pumpkin patch waiting for the great pumpkin to return. Come on winter!

Snowdon 6 opening bell. It’s there somewhere...
69300d61891b91fdd3adc9ed65fbd2fb.jpg

Winter(ish) returns
3317f9fb4ea59fc0d3b964dff03ce4ac.jpg

This would pair so well with my crocs:
3c0c3cf66170dbdfc3d9dfee269378a9.jpg

• Like 8