Weekend roll call thread 1/18-19..

GrilledSteezeSandwich

10 hours ago, tarponhead said:

Getting tired of blue taking 4 years to open one new single trail. Does Barb really care about the skiing? Huntah got sold and wham bam thank you mam they got a whole new ski area.

Your welcome to tell me to bite it if new owners get rid of the VIP line though...

I actually don’t want some big corporation  buying Blue. Look at JF/BB. Are there any improvements there? And guaranteed, no more tailgating, increased season pass cost. Just not wort it in my opinion. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tarponhead said:

Your welcome to tell me to bite it if new owners get rid of the VIP line though...

Haven't got much use out of the VIP line this year, maybe one day had to utilize it when they actually were gating people, but otherwise Blue's been dead.

Unfortunately if Blue got bought out by either of the biggies (read Epic), lift lines would liable to be a Mount Snow shit-show and no VIP line for help.

12 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Haven't got much use out of the VIP line this year, maybe one day had to utilize it when they actually were gating people, but otherwise Blue's been dead.

Unfortunately if Blue got bought out by either of the biggies (read Epic), lift lines would liable to be a Mount Snow shit-show and no VIP line for help.

I don't think it would be THAT bad, but it would probably increase a bit. I wouldn't be opposed if it was bought by a company on any of the multi-pass options. It will eventually happen unless something drastic changes for Barb. But realistically, it can't be fun owning and operating a ski area in PA with the way the weather has been changing over the years. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I don't think it would be THAT bad, but it would probably increase a bit. I wouldn't be opposed if it was bought by a company on any of the multi-pass options. It will eventually happen unless something drastic changes for Barb. But realistically, it can't be fun owning and operating a ski area in PA with the way the weather has been changing over the years. 

Running a ski business in our climate would put me on pills.  Theres gotta be a point where you just say, enough is enough.  Maybe its close to that time.  I mean, look at the grooming of late.  It hasnt been spectacular, and i wonder if it will get better.  Does anybody working there actually care about the end product they put out?  I will give them props for making snow at the very first opportunity they can, and what they have been able to do in between winter/summer/winter/summer so far this season.  

Historically the day after some type of snow has been great.  We shall see.  

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 7:29 AM, indiggio said:

Let's face it - Blue is already a zoo if there is snow on the ground and it's a nice weekend day.  

Epic/Icon passes definitely increase skier volume at the destination resorts and the CO reports where snow is always on the ground, and skiing on the weekend is a giving for a couple million customers.  But I think in the poconos...not really sure how many more skiers your are going to attract.  I guess you would pull some people away from CB or Shawnee?  Maybe if you are a CB pass holder and Blue went Epic, and you fly to Break every year, you might decide to switch to Blue?  But if your kid is racing, or you have a house in Tannersville....I don't know, I'm sure it would really effect crowd size.

These mega corps buy the feeder hills to lock them into their network for their 1 or 2 annual destination trips.  They are essentially buying access to you guys - the season pass holders - and forcing you to choose an Epic/Ikon resort for your fly away trip.  I don't think they care if Blue does more or less business.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

Let's face it - Blue is already a zoo if there is snow on the ground and it's a nice weekend day.  

Epic/Icon passes definitely increase skier volume at the destination resorts and the CO reports where snow is always on the ground, and skiing on the weekend is a giving for a couple million customers.  But I think in the poconos...not really sure how many more skiers your are going to attract.  I guess you would pull some people away from CB or Shawnee?  Maybe if you are a CB pass holder and Blue went Epic, and you fly to Break every year, you might decide to switch to Blue?  But if your kid is racing, or you have a house in Tannersville....I don't know, I'm sure it would really effect crowd size.

These mega corps buy the feeder hills to lock them into their network for their 1 or 2 annual destination trips.  They are essentially buying access to you guys - the season pass holders - and forcing you to choose an Epic/Ikon resort for your fly away trip.  I don't think they care if Blue does more or less business.

Sounds like a lot of speculation to me.  It is crazy that season passes at Blue are cheaper now than a decade ago. Day passes are significantly more money with less flexibility. No more morning passes, afternoon passes or twilight.  No ski club night, men’s night, ladies night...but again cheap season passes. Would be nice if the VIP line for the quad last night meant something. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

31 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

3"

Agree.

10 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

4” falling 10am-10pm best conditions will likely be Sunday morning when it’s all groomed in.  

Agree.  sticking around when it starts snowing will be a game day decision.  

40 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Sounds like a lot of speculation to me.  It is crazy that season passes at Blue are cheaper now than a decade ago. Day passes are significantly more money with less flexibility. No more morning passes, afternoon passes or twilight.  No ski club night, men’s night, ladies night...but again cheap season passes. Would be nice if the VIP line for the quad last night meant something. 

How much is a season pass?

That would be a big negative to a buy-out.  Season pass becomes the Epic or Ikon rate....

43 minutes ago, tnt said:

How much is a season pass?

That would be a big negative to a buy-out.  Season pass becomes the Epic or Ikon rate....

Early bird season pass at Blue was $429 I believe them $529 over the summer and early fall and then $629.  I honestly don’t care if the price of a season pass goes up a couple hundred at Blue if it were to include other resorts...or even if it was for Blue only..Blue is smart for having economically priced season passes because the people who only ski a few days a month now buy a season pass instead of perhaps buying a few day passes a season. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Early bird season pass at Blue was $429 I believe them $529 over the summer and early fall and then $629.  I honestly don’t care if the price of a season pass goes up a couple hundred at Blue if it were to include other resorts...or even if it was for Blue only..Blue is smart for having economically priced season passes because the people who only ski a few days a month now buy a season pass instead of perhaps buying a few day passes a season. 

I would gladly pay more for my pass if it meant less crowds.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah, for you it would be killer - don't you go west twice a year?  That would be a huge savings.  Though Jackson Hole isn't Epic - is it Ikon?  I don't know...

Side note - as a family we went to Big Sky for the first time last week.  Awesome mountain.  That is Ikon.  And the locals on the lifts all said Ikon increased their traffic significantly.  Mixed bag though, because the added traffic is leading to serious upgrades in lifts, which they all appreciate.  But they thought the mountain was crowded.  By crowded, they meant 10 minute lines at the base I guess...singles line was line 5 minutes.  Upper mountain lifts were all ski on.

Second side note - couple of friends are going to JH in March and I'm trying to adjust schedule to join them - any secrets for cheap air fare?  Won't have the time to drive from SLC or Bozeman.  Direct the JH is pretty pricey, but I guess I won't need a car once I'm there?