Whiteface Mountain, NY

Zonked

6 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

As someone with no experience in the Daks, how do whiteface and gore compare to Vermont?

@RidgeRacersays Whiteface is better than Vermont, I believe. It has the most vertical on the east coast and is not crowded. Plus it's far north so I assume it gets great pow often

On top of that, it's very reasonably priced. $97 a night for a hotel in $69 for a lift ticket. I doubt you can beat those prices (midweek) anywhere else

For me, my priorities are excellent snow and no crowds. WF checks those buckets so as Ridge says, well worth the 6 hr drive.

Also, I understand Gore's layout is more like Killington - a wider mountain with less vert. I'll likely ski there my last day.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Boner City 1

I actually prefer Gore over Whiteface. It's a big mountain with some of the best glades in the east when there is natural snow. There are also a lot of pods that spread the crowds out. Not that there are usually any crowds to speak of there compared to Vermont. Not the best place for snowboarders as there are some traverses getting between some of the pods.

• Thanks 1

[mention=264]RidgeRacer[/mention]says Whiteface is better than Vermont, I believe. It has the most vertical on the east coast and is not crowded. Plus it's far north so I assume it gets great pow often
On top of that, it's very reasonably priced. $97 a night for a hotel in $69 for a lift ticket. I doubt you can beat those prices (midweek) anywhere else
For me, my priorities are excellent snow and no crowds. WF checks those buckets so as Ridge says, well worth the 6 hr drive.
Also, I understand Gore's layout is more like Killington - a wider mountain with less vert. I'll likely ski there my last day.

Salty I said I like whiteface better than gore and steamboat (I also said to you directly that I'm probably in the minority on the steamboat thing). I never said it's flat out better than vermont. My skiing in vermont is limited to Stratton and Killington and yes I'd opt for WF over those 2 any day of the week. I've yet to ski Sugarbush, stowe, smuggs and jay so I'm certainly not the judge and the jury. You're gonna get me in trouble with Moe and some other folks on here so stop acting like I'm the foremost authority of all things east coast skiing dude when I'm far from it. Go to WF and form your own opinion and stop saying shit like "well ridge said this" or "ridge said that". My personal opinion...I don't like pods which is why I like WF over gore. I like having the option to ski the full 3k plus vert multiple different ways. That's my preference. Everyone's different.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RidgeRacer said:

Salty I said I like whiteface better than gore and steamboat. I never said it's flat out better than vermont. My skiing in vermont is limited to Stratton and Killington and yes I'd opt for WF over those 2 any day of the week. I've yet to ski Sugarbush, stowe, smuggs and jay so I'm certainly not the judge and the jury. You're gonna get me in trouble with Moe and some other folks on here so stop acting like I'm the foremost authority of all things east coast skiing dude when I'm far from it. Go to WF and form your own opinion and stop saying shit like "well ridge said this" or "ridge said that". My personal opinion...I don't like pods which is why I like WF over gore. I like having the option to ski the full 3k plus vert multiple different ways. That's my preference. Everyone's different.

Oops🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, RidgeRacer said:

I'm kinda over having this conversation with you from here on out.

Sorry, didnt mean to put words in your mouth. I should have written that your preference is WF over VT. But ok, I will no longer converse about this subject. 

Gosh I'm getting in all kinds of trouble today

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Sorry, didnt mean to put words in your mouth. I should have written that your preference is WF over VT. But ok, I will no longer converse about this subject. 

Gosh I'm getting in all kinds of trouble today

Nah keep posting. It’s keeping me occupied before my 2pm appointment and I found your post where you kept mentioning ridge to be very informative. Thanks and you’re welcome anytime boner city 

• Boner City 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Salty I skied whiteface in 1994 and 1997...not many places in the east that you can ski 3200+ vert in one continuous run. Killington would require XC skiing for that and mount Washington a lot of hiking.  

That's what I meant... I agree that Killingtons layout is like XC skiing. It was fun doing Great Eastern for 3 miles when I was new but now I'm over that and want the big leagues (e.g. more vert). Someone else said that also. I should not have generalized VT when I grossly misrepresented RidgeRacers statement and for that I owe him reparations.

Just now, saltyant said:

That's what I meant... I agree that Killingtons layout is like XC skiing. It was fun doing Great Eastern for 3 miles when I was new but now I'm over that and want the big leagues (e.g. more vert). Someone else said that also. I should not have generalized VT when I grossly misrepresented RidgeRacers statement and for that I owe him reparations.

Maybe bring him some fruit by the foot or sweet baby Jesus beer. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Maybe bring him some fruit by the foot or sweet baby Jesus beer. 

So let's see who I pissed off today... I owe RidgeRacer, Rummy, GSSucks, AtomicSkier. Probably did something to Toast. Just keep a list and I'll bring some gifts for all my wrong doings.

• Boner City 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

So let's see who I pissed off today... I owe RidgeRacer, Rummy, GSSucks, AtomicSkier. Probably did something to Toast. Just keep a list and I'll bring some gifts for all my wrong doings.

Since you’re feeling generous you can bring me some Captains wafers to Blue this weekend.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Idk why people are mad at you...people flipped out on you in whiteface and snow basin threads for no reason at all

• Thanks 1

Idk why people are mad at you...people flipped out on you in whiteface and snow basin threads for no reason at all

I'm not mad and I didn't flip out. He's saying I said things that I didn't. So I corrected it. I'm also pointing out that my preferences are just that, not the ten freaking commandments of skiing.
  • Thanks 1