A great way to waste time and money

GSSucks

1 hour ago, AtomicSkier said:

Holy shit they look like skis!  Can I hand flex them before @Justo8484 does?

Sure

23 minutes ago, eaf said:

Wow, they look fantastic. I wish I could see the faces of folks where you're gonna be tuning these.

Are the binding pieces from two different sets?

Did I miss the part where you glued the bases? Or is the orange sheet it? What's that black strip in the middle, some sort of carbon?

And the variable thickness, is that due to the wood profile or epoxy alone? How did you even shape it that way?

Just the color way of the bindings. The orange sheet is the base, black strip is a carbon stringer. 

The core is profiled to a thickness, under the bindings it is 11mm in thickness, it tapers down to 3.6mm in the tip and 2.6mm in the tail. It took some magic and a jig for my router to make the profile. 

Thanks for the support everyone, already planning the next pair! 

I was wondering how you profiled the core...Post a pic of the jig if you still have it..Maybe source a band saw to cut the epoxy off of the edge next time....A drill press with a sanding drum would be the tits for getting the rest...Looks like nice work.....I wonder how vinyl wrap would work as a top sheet..Easy to change...

.And it will be the shit when someone asks where you got them and you say "I made em".....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

3be1f6ee544c2d75c326fd16bb06ab00.jpg

The router sits on the sled and the router has a straight cut bit that is 1" in diameter. Its a plunge router so I can set the initial height and then that stays set to the thickness I want under foot or the thickest part of the ski. The bit goes thru the square hole and can be moved left and right to essentially make a planer out of a router. 25c27e8bad157514e1a7e27dd12f9a33.jpg

Its kind of hard to see but where the sled is in the above picture the side rails on the jig are about 15mm off the bottom of the jig, at the far end of the jig the side rails are about 6mm off the bottom of the jig. I use double sided tape to attach the core to the bottom of the jig and then take passes back and forth or lengthwise to the core. As the sled follows the profile of the rails the thickness of the core is thinned in the tip and tail. dc0942ebbc1d54e8e2b994e6e3b9728e.jpg

Does any of that make sense? 

If this all continues, I will need to tool up with more tools, I was trying to use what I have and not buy additional tools for the first pair. I pretty much used the minimal number of tools possible I would say. I have a router, jig saw, belt sander and a small pancake compressor that were used on this project. A band saw and a drum sander would be a huge help, along with a planer for profiling the cores. All hopefully things to come! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's pretty ingenious, did you engineer that?

I guess you could say that, a few years ago I built our dining room table from a slab of sycamore that was 40”x7’. Most planers are not big enough for a slab that size so it is common practice to use something similar to the above to flatten the slab. I borrowed from what I learned there and adapted it to make the core profile. 435441e29dff399baf9974683fcb6c23.jpg
Rough slab
ef5b0431661d6062530d6b2364b45d4e.jpg
Flattening the slab
32b8abc15cee74126539e34cff25260a.jpgfinished table

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

I guess you could say that, a few years ago I built our dining room table from a slab of sycamore that was 40”x7’. Most planers are not big enough for a slab that size so it is common practice to use something similar to the above to flatten the slab. I borrowed from what I learned there and adapted it to make the core profile. 435441e29dff399baf9974683fcb6c23.jpg
Rough slab
ef5b0431661d6062530d6b2364b45d4e.jpg
Flattening the slab
32b8abc15cee74126539e34cff25260a.jpgfinished table

Thats pretty sweet.  i have always wanted to make a table out of a slab.  i got bored last year (wasting time and money) and built a kitchen table just out of 2x8 fir that i beat the crap out of with chain, hammer, nails etc.  Turned out pretty good, but i lack alot of tools for finish carpentry.  I think i want to try putting a trail map down on a coffee table i made and doing that clear epoxy over it.  

• Like 2

Got three days on the skis, they are pretty damn fun! First day at Snow Basin they were a bit hooky in spring slush, took a gummy stone to the tips and they are much better now. A pow day at Snow Bird and at Alta and a few face shots with a ski I built was pretty magical. They are definitely stiff and like to be driven. Great benchmark for the next pair, I wanted them to be stiff but they are a bit to stiff. Now I know for the next pair.
7494c80da262e22f24f6b964d3f3479a.jpg
Middle bowl at Basin
5387781b2fe41ec4b86277e0019de88e.jpg
Rats nest at Bird

• Like 9

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...