A great way to waste time and money

GSSucks

So life got a little busy, then it snowed and I wanted to ski tour so I took a bit of a break on working on these. They are now out of the press and deflashed. Im pretty sure I am going to have some issues on this pair but time will tell as I ski them I guess. Its a really fun and interesting learning experience for me. 

18476443fe1a7b51dece730be1507bbd.jpg

Shaped core, tip and tail fill with sidewalls before attaching anything. 
fb18ade815bbf78b05214761bd8ec46f.jpg

Attaching the sidewalls to the core, just some simple super glue and clamps. 
bc5a9a50ab0c749fb38120ddec38bf32.jpg

This shows the bottom of the core after the sidewalls have been attached, I used a new method to attach the core blank to the profiling jig and it worked out really well. Tape the bottom of the core, and also tape the jig and use super glue to glue the tape together, it easily comes apart which is critical when the core gets thin. 
f4fc7529b61ee214de03bb8692e9ea89.jpg

Core blank glued on the profile jig. 
2564fa657732fef8985a68605a2b6e84.jpg

Core after it is profiled, on this pair the core is 8mm thick under foot and tapers to 2mm in the tip and the tail. The tip and tail fill that I buy is also 2mm thick so it all lays up very nicely. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by GSSucks
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

So last pair I kind of skipped this step because I was very nervous about doing it, I was also nervous about doing it this time but figured I needed to figure it out eventually. In the tip and tail the sidewall ends up being about 1.5mm thick and it could easily rip off or break adding this rabbet. I built this router table with custom back stop to add a rabbet to the core to keep the bases of the skis flatter when they are pressed. If you scroll up a few posts you can see how the teeth of the edge are on top of the base, thats how they are attached and what keeps them in place. Adding the rabbit takes some of the pressure off the edges and keeps you from pressing edge high. Its kind of hard to explain maybe I will add a picture later. 

06b43ae53117fe298f81efbd04422747.jpg

router table
70fa867abf0dc739d917b4089b49440c.jpg

Router bit with back stop, so the sidewall is run down the backstop and the bit takes about .5mm of material off the bottom of the sidewall and a small portion of the base. 
8ef687d62e43dd3c50ce8353c3d93513.jpg

a picture of the rabbet for reference. 
c5b4cef80b40c7dcc7339bb9ab3551f0.jpg

The core and sidewall get pretty thin in the tip and tail. 

Edited by GSSucks
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

I've used the tape/super glue method to hold stuff down a bunch of times...It works well for templates...After seeing how thin the layers were while constructing my splitboard I can only imagine how delicate the tip and tail profiles must be..Looks like good work.....

Edited by Mixilplix
  • Like 1

I was mostly ready to press after adding the rabbet to the core, I just needed to cut some glass and carbon so I pulled the press out and pressure tested it to make sure I did not have any leaks. I hit about 30 psi and I could hear air leaking so I knew I had some work to do. I used wood to crimp the ends of the fire hose when I built the press mainly because wood is much easier to work with than steel. I guess it was not quite enough, so I put on my big boy pants and started cutting and drilling steel. 

f8a36ade13350e01d8197646c607b39c.jpg

Original crimp to close off the fire hose. 
b0a01d1e06a3610f12260a64876baf95.jpg

The way it should have been done originally. 

Edited by GSSucks
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Absolute titty sparkles ! Your core work is amazing ! A person could make good skis and never rabbet the tips and tails, your getting super high level !!!

If you ever want to make any ski in your head for others I'll gladly commission a pair. Whatever you want to make. 

Thanks man! It seems like there is a line forming, Ill add you to the list. Its amazing how many friends you have when you start building skis lol. 

• Like 5
  • Boner City 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

Apparently Im to slow at editing so you will have to deal with double the pictures for some text. 

16 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

The night before I pressed I attached the tip and tail fill to the core, then cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol and flammed the sidewalls. Furthermore I waxed the cassette with a mold release wax so the skis dont bond to the mold and I also use a few small dabs of super glue to attach the bases to the cassette in the correct location so everything lines up during layup. I like to have everything ready before I start mixing epoxy, I have about an hour to get everything in the press before the epoxy flashes and the skis are garbage. 

87fda04818941e9d9aed6a22d146c206.jpg
Attaching the tip and tail fill with super glue. 

95dfffe79dff36a14fa95cb25170a9e8.jpg
Stacking everything in reverse order of what I will need it after cutting all the glass. 

3d871cf2d175451f111e331c4e8554a4.jpg
Mid layup, core ready for wetting with epoxy.

ba0cdc8f5635558a17ecc942c7e4f31e.jpg
Mid layup, carbon stringers and carbon reinforcement on the tip and tail fill. 

3130f4861634dbda950a105e872e2f6a.jpg
Press pressure. I was planning on pressing at 50 psi but I over shot that when adjusting the regulator so I just went with it. This is the highest I have ever had the press. It did deflect a bit and I lost a bit of camber out of the ski but I still have enough so it was a worthwhile test for the mold and the press. 

5e70c10908cbe73c97366cc6cf5156d0.jpg
Pressing. I press for 8 hours and I put a space heater in the room. At the end of the press it was ~95 degrees in there. The cure time to solid for the epoxy is 6 hours at 72 degrees so I over shoot that a bit for good measure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just dropped them off at the shop for a tune, know it all ski tech behind the counter gave me a good laugh while filling out the paper work. 

Ski tech: What brand and model skis are they? 

Me: ummmm, idk.

Ski tech: most people around here dont know what kind of skis they have..

Me: ...........lol.........

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 1/7/2021 at 10:56 AM, GSSucks said:

Just dropped them off at the shop for a tune, know it all ski tech behind the counter gave me a good laugh while filling out the paper work. 

Ski tech: What brand and model skis are they? 

Me: ummmm, idk.

Ski tech: most people around here dont know what kind of skis they have..

Me: ...........lol.........

Hope you requested the @AtomicSkier special base grind so they're nice and fast with edges that will slice your gloves if you look at em wrong. 0.5° base 3° side or GTFO. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1