Mt Washington/Presidentials 2020

Nipples

16 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Is a skin setup necesarry?

Absolutely not! As the tuxs trail is always beaten down by cat transporting volunteer rescue and mwac staff. Also only part truly skinable is from the parking lot to Hojo's (Not even 40% to the summit) anything more is just what conditions allow. It's also no race and sweating means changing layers.

Also anything from the end of April til July be starting the hike in out tail shoes! I have an extra pack to.

Edited by Nipples
  • Like 1

I've had good luck the first weekend in may every time i've been up there. Definitely don't need skins and touring setup, but I'd rather have my skis on the ground for as much of the climb as possible instead of my back. Probably cause I have heavy frame bindings on heavy, wide skis, though. Something 90-100 underfoot with a lighter binding would probably make packing em not nearly as bad. I have yet to actually get to the weather station at the summit, so that's my goal next time. Bowl is fun, but if there's enough coverage in the snowfields up top, that looks like it'd be super fun.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

I've had good luck the first weekend in may every time i've been up there. Definitely don't need skins and touring setup, but I'd rather have my skis on the ground for as much of the climb as possible instead of my back. Probably cause I have heavy frame bindings on heavy, wide skis, though. Something 90-100 underfoot with a lighter binding would probably make packing em not nearly as bad. I have yet to actually get to the weather station at the summit, so that's my goal next time. Bowl is fun, but if there's enough coverage in the snowfields up top, that looks like it'd be super fun.

Snow fields from mid April a few years ago.

DA6F35FD-4B23-45B2-8406-CD8EC5177321.jpeg

C56B4BDB-0464-4F39-90C8-16B22401DF53.jpeg

49BABF12-DCC6-4F94-BB0F-26F109754E28.jpeg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

That's way cool..I imagine this would be possible with a board since you can do it without skinning....I got a ton of camping stuff too....

If your on a board. I would highly recommend micro spikes... Watched a boarded slip and take out half the people in the boot ladder one time. I always take my crampons. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1