Mt Washington/Presidentials 2020

Nipples

looks fun! I'm definitely down for some touring adventures in the spring. I've been reading this book and have been getting stoked to explore more. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934028142/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by skiincy
typo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, skiincy said:

looks fun! I'm definitely done for some touring adventures in the spring. I've been reading this book and have been getting stoked to explore more. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934028142/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish my spring wasn't so busy, but if people are going anywhere, post up here before!

14 hours ago, Shadows said:

Really though some of this sounds way dumb solo right?

Depends what you consider dumb. I haven't skied king, but if the climb up to the base of the actual ravine is anything like tucks, it's like skinning up something the equivalent pitch of lazy, maybe switchback at the steepest. It doesn't get hairy til you actually get up into the bowl. Smart call on knowing your limits and not skiing the actual ravine with the ice bulges and weather conditions. Looks like mandatory crampons and ice axe terrain, which at this point in my skiing career, i'm definitely not prepared for, and even if i was, would definitely not want to do solo.

If you're talking about the car camping part, it's not my idea of a great time when it's this cold out, but with the right gear you're probably fine. I only have a 10° bag so i'll save the camp-to-ski adventures til it's a little warmer out. 

@Nipples did you ever find that TGR thread?

Edited by Justo8484
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

Depends what you consider dumb. I haven't skied king, but if the climb up to the base of the actual ravine is anything like tucks, it's like skinning up something the equivalent pitch of lazy, maybe switchback at the steepest. It doesn't get hairy til you actually get up into the bowl. Smart call on knowing your limits and not skiing the actual ravine with the ice bulges and weather conditions. Looks like mandatory crampons and ice axe terrain, which at this point in my skiing career, i'm definitely not prepared for, and even if i was, would definitely not want to do solo.

If you're talking about the car camping part, it's not my idea of a great time when it's this cold out, but with the right gear you're probably fine. I only have a 10° bag so i'll save the camp-to-ski adventures til it's a little warmer out. 

@Nipples did you ever find that TGR thread?

It’s not that I can’t afford a room. I actually sleep super well in my car and by myself it makes sense. Didn’t find that thread but couldn’t stop thinking about that story. Did find this story though.

https://m.facebook.com/notes/patrick-luk/falling-into-king-ravine-interview-excerpt/679140355493444

• Like 1

Siiiiiiick !

I'm super glad to see you got into King, that day we talked in the lot I remembered going home how cool that place is. 

There is a go around normally bushwacked through the scrub trees that bypasses the subway trail. It's thiccccc but saves some time by pretty much going around to the ravine floor. You can also run the ridge lookers left but thats even more of a goat path. 

The TGR thread was legand, that kid was dumb as rocks. IIRC he was also not eating when he took his glock to King. 

Burt is another straight up killer, Burt is even steeper than King and has a sort of weird fade to the lines that make them look super sketch standing up top. Burt is just left of the COG which is a fast easy skin. You can be in Airplane in like 2 1/2hrs. 

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...