Steamboat Stoke Thread... 2020!!!

saltyant

4 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

Nice job @saltyant getting outside of your comfort zone and pushing yourself a little. 

Thanks twin brother. I've finally realized that's the only way to advance and I'm bored out of my mind with groomers. Had a blast challenging myself today.

Just trying to stay safe. I got overconfident and thought I could ski anything, so got stuck in really steep glades and crashed near a tree. Made it out alive, I'll probably try to stick to glades I'm comfortable with.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 5

Looks like a good time..I love the glades in good pow.....Is there any place to let them skis run and float the powder?

I'm always paranoid about going into glades solo....always good to have a someone with you in case of trouble...I'm not sure a whistle will do you much good in a tree well...

Keep the pics coming...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

Looks like a good time..I love the glades in good pow.....Is there any place to let them skis run and float the powder?

I'm always paranoid about going into glades solo....always good to have a someone with you in case of trouble...I'm not sure a whistle will do you much good in a tree well...

Keep the pics coming...

Just watched a video of a kid who got buried in a well and would have died if his dad wasn't with him... yeah I'm probably not skiing glades alone anymore..

25 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Just watched a video of a kid who got buried in a well and would have died if his dad wasn't with him... yeah I'm probably not skiing glades alone anymore..

I always ski glades alone...life is to short to have to have others with you when you do things. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

serious question: what does one do to help avoid tree wells?  i always assumed stay away from tree bases in fresh snow, but i have no actual idea

Exactly.  Just go around wide, but that still doesn’t help you if you lose control on a steep and slide head first toward a tree which is why riding with a buddy is always recommended.  I ski glades alone often and I just go slower and less aggressive than I would if in a group.

Edited by NMSKI
  • Like 3