Steamboat Stoke Thread... 2020!!!

saltyant

24 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Exactly.  Just go around wide, but that still doesn’t help you if you lose control on a steep and slide head first toward a tree which is why riding with a buddy is always recommended.  I ski glades alone often and I just go slower and less aggressive than I would if in a group.

Tree wells aren’t magnets.  They’re not just going to reach out and grab you.  Don’t ski near them and you reduce your risk.  Even skiing with a partner isn’t full proof as someone always has to go last.  Skiing is all about managing risk.  There are ways to mitigate it, but never eliminate it.  Just be smart @saltyant and have fun.  Don’t stomp on your own stoke by watching some YouTube videos.  That’s like going on WebMD when you have a sore throat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AtomicSkier said:

Tree wells aren’t magnets.  They’re not just going to reach out and grab you.  Don’t ski near them and you reduce your risk.  Even skiing with a partner isn’t full proof as someone always has to go last.  Skiing is all about managing risk.  There are ways to mitigate it, but never eliminate it.  Just be smart @saltyant and have fun.  Don’t stomp on your own stoke by watching some YouTube videos.  That’s like going on WebMD when you have a sore throat.

Agreed with @AtomicSkier . But, it's cool to be cautious. He's right, tree wells aren't magnets but be sure you can control your turns depending on the tightness of the trees. 

I was out with a guided ski group in the side country / backcountry of Lake Louise Resort in 2016. Once we hit tree line, my speed was fast and the trees were tight. I fell then slide into a tree well. It was quite the adventure getting out.. only lost my favorite goggles, a cell phone, and my confidence to the Banff National Park. 

Push yourself but stay safe. If you dip into tight trees, ski near other people. Control your speed and enjoy the fluffy powder goodness. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, skiincy said:

Agreed with @AtomicSkier . But, it's cool to be cautious. He's right, tree wells aren't magnets but be sure you can control your turns depending on the tightness of the trees. 

I was out with a guided ski group in the side country / backcountry of Lake Louise Resort in 2016. Once we hit tree line, my speed was fast and the trees were tight. I fell then slide into a tree well. It was quite the adventure getting out.. only lost my favorite goggles, a cell phone, and my confidence to the Banff National Park. 

Push yourself but stay safe. If you dip into tight trees, ski near other people. Control your speed and enjoy the fluffy powder goodness. 

How did you lose all that stuff??

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I didn’t even know steamboat had back bowls..is that hike to stuff or near where Huervos is???

Have a blast!!!

Thanks!! Correct. I don't know if it's really a back bowl, I just like writing back bowl since it makes me sound pro.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Bright blue skies today and it's going to be epic!! Going to ski the back bowls with @enjoralas and @pops and taking my GoPro Hero+ along. The only bad part about today is I'm almost out of Oreo cereal.

20200226_071450.thumb.jpg.2b92d19b11a35c64cd075732329fdd2d.jpg

Looks like you get a little ski first thing down to the Gondoobie...

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Looks like you get a little ski first thing down to the Gondoobie...

Yeah there's a really mildly pitched cat track down to the Gondoobie. It's nice to boot up and ski right off the bat, just like my days of skiing from the upper lodge at True Blue.

12 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Those blue skies and sun will be great for skiing today! Good vis and groomers are in your future! Looking forward to pictures of you three later!

Haha I think Salty likes 3D snow now...bet he’ll sniff out some Perder...or cherder..he might even have some oyster crackers in his perket 

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Yeah there's a really mildly pitched cat track down to the Gondoobie. It's nice to boot up and ski right off the bat, just like my days of skiing from the upper lodge at True Blue.

Matt edge parks at the upper lot at blue on Thursday nights so he can get home faster.