Epic tour of NH

Ski2Live Live2Ski

4 fun days of skiing from Sat to Tues that could not have been more different from one another.

Saturday we hit Crotched largely to break up the drive to North Conway. With 900 feet of vertical it was fairly reminiscent of NEPA skiing but with a nice fresh inch on top. Glades were more abundant (but conditions were not great in them). Zero lift lines on a high speed quad were nice but it was bitterly cold and we had a couple more hours driving to do so after 8 runs we called it a day.

Sun we hit Wildcat which had gotten 4" fresh the night before which continued to come down during the day. Lines were never more than about 5 min on a high speed quad serving 2000' vertical even on Presidents Saturday. Clearly made the right call coming hear as I heard lines were very bad at Attitash that day. 

This place was a marvel. Conditions were amazing with fresh snow and mt 100% open. Loved the classic winding New England trails, tree runs and challenging ungroomed steeps.

Super friendly people too leading to lots of interesting lift conversations.  One guy told me of the adventures he and his buddies have had getting successive new ownership to honor the Lifetime Passes they purchased in 68/69.

May be my favorite place I have skied in the East though there are plenty with more horizontal.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 4

Attitash could not have been more different from Wildcat and totally lived up to its family Mountain rep complete with a dining area so filled with ski bags that there was not a table with foot room underneath, even though we wisely picked to hit it Sunday when there were light enough crowds that we could often ski onto the lift and never waited more than a couple min. 

Took it easier this day as one of my girls was complaining her legs hurt from the day before (we had pushed it on some legit tough runs including several trips through glades Sat and the girls had set their vertical record that day, passing 20k for the first time).

Glades on lower Bear Peak were a nice treat that were at a good level for the girls to do a couple runs through but due to girls tired legs we mostly stuck to the groomers this day and Attitash has some great windy classic New England trails that fit the bill nicely.

Overall this place reminds me of Okemo, but with more glades,  much less crowds and less posh lifts. The slow lift - only route to Attitash peak - was the biggest drawback - especially on the ride where it stopped 3x.

• Like 1

Hit Sunappee on the way home on Tues at 11am. Originally planned this to be a brief "break up the drive" visit like Crotched had been on Sat, but pulled in to find about 6" of fresh snow had fallen and it was continuing to come down fast and furious - all light powdery snow and wind blowing it around as well so - helped by the nonexistent crowds that let us ski right on the lift all day - it was basically cutting fresh track in light deep snow every run. 

The marked glades were truly awesome as well - we tried 4 of them and went back for seconds on 3 of them. There was about 8-12" of powder every direction one might point ones skis and it was nice we had taken it easier at Attitash Monday so the girls legs were in pretty good shape for this. I wanted to take a pic for y'all but when I went turn on my phone the girls complained they were too cold and wanted to keep going (it was cold and windy enough that I bought them face masks for the first time).

Best day of skiing my girls have ever had on the East Coast for sure and better than some of their West Coast days.

I was a bit worried about the drive home with all the snow coming down, but not so worried that we departed this paradise before the closing bell. First 90 min driving on snowy mountain roads were rough going, but fortunately Inhad bought new tires a month ago after researching which all seasons were best in snow so we were in good shape.

Pulled into my driveway at 11 am and tucked my kids into bed real quick as Joy was waiting for me with candles set up all around the Jacuzzi.

Hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go - glad it's a short week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Wow sounds epic 🙄

Yes driving to NH to ski a 900 vert mountain is epic indeed...I’m not even sitting down but I feel like I need to buckle my seatbelt for the rest of this report. 

Nevermind four days in NH and not even a picture sheesh..

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Just now, JFskiDan said:

Since this thread is boring AF with no pics, i have decided to add some pics based on what i have read, and what i see in my mind.  

image.jpeg.dd8703486822a9e03a5cd3e98997137d.jpeg

Image result for epic fail skiing pics     Image result for epic fail skiing pics

Image result for epic fail skiing pics    Image result for 80's skiing pics

Bahahahaha this is grate.  I’m guessing Ski2Lives jitterbug doesn’t take pictures or he is getting his funsaver Camara developed at CVS and it will be ready in 2-4 days. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/19/2020 at 8:13 AM, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Sun we hit Wildcat which had gotten 4" fresh the night before which continued to come down during the day. Lines were never more than about 5 min on a high speed quad serving 2000' vertical even on Presidents Saturday. Clearly made the right call coming hear as I heard lines were very bad at Attitash that day. 

This place was a marvel. Conditions were amazing with fresh snow and mt 100% open. Loved the classic winding New England trails, tree runs and challenging ungroomed steeps.

Super friendly people too leading to lots of interesting lift conversations.  One guy told me of the adventures he and his buddies have had getting successive new ownership to honor the Lifetime Passes they purchased in 68/69.

May be my favorite place I have skied in the East though there are plenty with more horizontal.

Wildcat is a fun mountain. Glad you enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I was thinking that. never been to Wildcat but isn't that the freaking draw...that you're literally skiing in the shadow of Mt. Washington?

There I feel better now 

IMG_1649_zps5246665b.jpg

and here's one from mt washington looking back at wildcat while I'm at it

IMG_1643_zps53a575f3.jpg

Edited by mbike-ski
  • Like 6