Thursday 2/20...Still Blowing

mute1080

Left this morning with a sunny sky 34° and arrived to cloudy 25°. Guns blazing at the top of most runs, all of Sidewinder, and one on homestretch. Sidewinder was closed, along with Razors which had no activity on it.

About two dozen people on the snow for opening. Thanks to the gates being open before 9, TP4 and I got first chair. First run on Challenge was a carpet and really good. Lapped that again and then started working our way across the mountain.

Bumps were gone on Main St but they had them on Nightmare. NM/DW was bulletproof but everything else was nice to ride. Met up with@Benm around 10 for some runs and then I ledr for work at 1040.

Glad to see Blue didn’t give up on winter. There was talk on the lift that they didn’t blow after Presidents’ Day last year.

• Like 6

I saw the guns on yet early this morning and for the life of me can't figure out why they're still blowing snow???
Is there another potential buyer coming to town that they're trying to impress?  Does she want to outlast Cameltoe, so there's no alien pass use?
I'm sure it's not to provide the best quality conditions for the sliders.

• Confused 1

Just now, indiggio said:

I saw the guns on yet early this morning and for the life of me can't figure out why they're still blowing snow???
Is there another potential buyer coming to town that they're trying to impress?  Does she want to outlast Cameltoe, so there's no alien pass use?

They sometimes blow snow up to the last weekend...grump gra grump grump grump.  

I've seen them blow snow the day before closing. But that was a number of years ago. It looks like they're watching the wallet a bit more these days. i.e. Not replacing burned out lights, not keeping lift spares on hand or not expediting non standard spares. I wouldn't doubt that they want the books to look good while Vail and Alterra are on a buying spree.

• Like 2

It's only the third week of February, no reason at all for them to give up on the season yet. Especially because they see the 50 degree highs coming in for this weekend I"m sure they will take every chance they can get to blow some snow strategically. 

6 hours ago, indiggio said:

You old curmudgeon 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice report I’ll have to look at the archives about the non blowing last year after Presidents’ Day..usually they blow into March.  

I remember condition reports about snowmaking in March last year. Naturally I didn’t save em so there’s no proof.

Hey All,

I’m back from a fun night session at Blue mountain the true mountain.  I arrived at the lower lot around 635 in the PM and it was in the upper 20s.  About 20 buses and no quad running so there was an almost full corral for the six pack until almost 8. Singles line was maybe a 3-4 minute wait plus the lift stopped once or twice per ride.    Atomic Jeff was doing slalom gates. 

First run Main Street mainly cause I was on the right side of the chair..upper left which used to be Barney’s Bumps had the best snow on the mountain as it didn’t get much traffic and got some blowover from the cannons on X-ing..lower Main Street was rolly Polly..skied a run on lazy which was pleasant enough..crossover a little slow with guns blasting on upper and lower sidewinder...lots of poachers getting after the fresh perder..I saw four get stopped by ski patrol at the bottom of lower sidewinder.  

After two runs mbike mike was behind me in singles line and I did some runs with him..back to Main Street and lazy and tried out nightmare dreamweaver which had slalom gates on the top...apparently Eaf was getting after it but I didn’t see him..Eaf it pretty Stealth.  Also saw RodeoSteve in the liftline and talked to him for a minute.  PARidgeRider was also in the House although I didn’t see him until the parking lot and one of the West Chester homeys also there. 

Had a few beers in the lower lot enjoyed the pleasant temperatures and peaced out by 920pm...ski everybody this weekend..gonna be a nice one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not keeping lift spares on hand or not expediting non standard spares.

Blue is all sorts of f*ked up but to be fair, the 6’er fiasco they had techie from EU coming over. Non standard failure for sure. It’s a PA ski bump, not friggin Vail. I can’t get too harsh on them for the 6 pak problems. My 2 cents for sure
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, tarponhead said:

Blue is all sorts of f*ked up but to be fair, the 6’er fiasco they had techie from EU coming over. Non standard failure for sure. It’s a PA ski bump, not friggin Vail. I can’t get too harsh on them for the 6 pak problems. My 2 cents for sure

100% agree on this.  I get the idea of stocking spare parts, but stocking parts that may never be needed is just a huge waste of money.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AtomicSkier said:

I skied like 10 runs of slalom tonight.  I'm getting old as that shit beats me up.  Conditions were awesome for running some gates.  Did I see @eaf skied down Nightmare even though it was closed for racing?!

Yeah, it was a one-time confusion. I went there, saw the poles too late, almost turned around and hiked up, but then there was some other guy who said that he had no idea what was going on, plus the folks on the slopes didn't look like they were racing at all, so I just went ahead past them.

The snow was indeed terrific across the board. One of those days when I didn't regret coming at 3pm at all. On other nights it's often like "damn, when is this thing gonna change?", but yesterday it was pleasant start-to-finish.

17 minutes ago, eaf said:

Yeah, it was a one-time confusion. I went there, saw the poles too late, almost turned around and hiked up, but then there was some other guy who said that he had no idea what was going on, plus the folks on the slopes didn't look like they were racing at all, so I just went ahead past them.

The snow was indeed terrific across the board. One of those days when I didn't regret coming at 3pm at all. On other nights it's often like "damn, when is this thing gonna change?", but yesterday it was pleasant start-to-finish.

I'll forgive you this one time.