Maple tree tapping time

C1erArt

How much syrup do you get out of 8 gallons?

How long does it take to boil down?

Not much. It is at best 40 to 1 ratio, but I have mostly silver or swamp maples, not sugar maples, so it is more like 70 or 80 to one. So maybe 4 ounces. Maybe 10 hours boiling time. But I keep adding to it and bottle 2 or 3 times a season. I usually get just a gallon or so per season with 10 taps. I go through a half dozen 20 pound bottles of propane. It it keeps me busy.

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Two years ago I received a gallon of Dakin farms Vermont maple syrup from a supplier and I gave it to Root. He said he likes to add a little bit to his coffee.  I don’t think I’ve ever had the real maple syrup. Just the aunt jemima stuff. 

You can barely call that crap maple syrup. I don't even think it has maple syrup in it. Probably just corn syrup. 

19 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Not much. It is at best 40 to 1 ratio, but I have mostly silver or swamp maples, not sugar maples, so it is more like 70 or 80 to one. So maybe 4 ounces. Maybe 10 hours boiling time. But I keep adding to it and bottle 2 or 3 times a season. I usually get just a gallon or so per season with 10 taps. I go through a half dozen 20 pound bottles of propane. It it keeps me busy.

That sounds not financially worth it at all lol damn. Good stuff though

11 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

You can barely call that crap maple syrup. I don't even think it has maple syrup in it. Probably just corn syrup. 

At McDonads it’s called hot cake syrup...very similar to what they have at the BMDI and pancake lovers like Johnny Law and Nazareth Jay like it..

B3048456-FB68-4D49-A4FB-3B8A61B87A01.jpeg

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, C1erArt said:

A coworker does this over the winter. Says you wont get rich, or have an endless supply of syrup. Says the same thing, “keeps him busy”

I love a good maple syrup. For Christmas my BIL got me a bottle of bourbon barrel aged Vermont maple syrup that was aged in bourbon barrels that were used to age Hill Farmstead beers. I don't know if it should go in the food thread, beer thread, or maple syrup thread, but I have been putting it on my oatmeal in the morning and it is divine. 

hy6nookSTOKfyLREPKZ9WQ.jpg

• Like 2

Im a maple head, maple nipple ale, maple stout, maple bourbon! Weird thing I don’t love pancakes, wtf!?!!? I do soy sausage w maple on multi grain bread, dump syrup on steel cut oats, and maple encrusted /caramelized salmon. What else is good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carmelized onions (white/yellow) and finish with maple syrup (light hand here) put on top of favorite cheese burger construct
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

One of my favorite homemade wing sauces is 1/2 maple syrup 1/2 sriracha.  Sounds weird but it's delicious and sticks to the wings nicely.  

Not sure on that ratio personally, but I like the sound of some maple syrup in a wing sauce.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...