Bumpers in Utah

indiggio

Wednesday - Deer Valley

Yet another bluebird day on tap.  Wow it’s been dry out here lately, and so we’re off to groomer Nirvana!

Departed the house a bit before 7am and arrived at Deer Valley somewhere near 7:40 and pulled into public parking lot 4.  A talk w/ the attendant, we found that lot 1 is open and free, so we pulled into baller parking in the front row!

The kid & I parking lot booted while the others went inside to make use of the facilities.  Hope they don’t kick me out because of my rip-seen jacket and hand-sewn gloves.  With all the women dressed to the Ts, I feel the need to lay low.

Up the Silver Lake Express and its already starting to feel warm.  Up the Sterling Express and we get the views of the groomers.  Well, they do look good, but don’t look as good as the pictures.  WTF?

Off the lift, we head down Birdseye and quickly overtake the few people on the chairs ahead of us and put the pedal down. Now this is some spectacularly groomed snow that is totally grippy and fast, wow!  We repeated the fun down Nabob.

Next up was another high-speed cruiser Wizard that had some nice drops like Falls, but had dark sections forcing speed checks.

Up the Wasatch Express we heard the Jerry quote of the day.  A women had fallen and lost both skis and slid a few hundred feet down Wizard.  One person stopped to pick up the lower ski, while another picked up the upper ski and then proceeded to ask the lower person if “he should bring it down”?

We ran into the other Blue crew and skied the Triangle trees with them.  We headed to the Silver Lake lodge for lunch, where I had the best white chocolate chip cookie ever, mainly because it was from Deer Valley.

After lunch we headed to Empire peak to check out the bowls and chutes. To get to the chutes you had to take a wi Jed whoop-de-dood traverse through the woods that was littered with skiers who had fallen.  Pretty ugly, kinda like the entrance to the Hobacks at times.

The rest of the afternoon was spent noodling around the woods in Lady Morgan area, looking for untouched stashes.

At the base 

63C847DE-AD84-43A5-A26D-E7D31D54E4F1.thumb.jpeg.40ab48d00861074909301fb4ad096eb9.jpeg

6803D3B3-CE85-4A28-83BF-D007E4E084C3.thumb.jpeg.a2a1dc9e96e510e913bce92f47317c8b.jpeg

The funicular

0ED7FF5E-064E-45BD-9348-301161CD7972.thumb.jpeg.2118c879eb26e956866c278718215d18.jpeg

Scenic views

D66CE8BB-A2DB-44BE-B1F1-A0E8A329ACFE.thumb.jpeg.76de948ff8c3fe05bbaf5ef63eda196d.jpeg

E9F6C445-401D-4267-8A3A-A30245883D94.thumb.jpeg.daa5db05e2d381af42acc5170fc3c6ee.jpeg

Bottom of Mayflower Chutes

0AB28DB3-3D57-4752-A8E6-0BF3BFE77983.thumb.jpeg.f5c4852cd28e0d85ebe2f90a8a382a20.jpeg

Lunchtime view

6DFD386B-44C4-4B48-996E-332E9D5D38F6.thumb.jpeg.16394db67e9bb296f1e62fda2466e763.jpeg

Pasta & sausage dinner

CA3EFE9B-D8B7-40F3-890B-DFDF1FFE41D1.thumb.jpeg.bd1e16445ea615e2bb1a04ef42249ce3.jpeg

• Like 3

Thursday - Brighton

Man it’s warm out!  29 degrees already at 7:30 in Cottonwood Heights and forecasted to be near the 50’s today and sunny.  No dressing like an astronaut today!!

Arrived at Brighton at about 8am or so, which afforded us baller parking once again!  Son & I parking lot booted, while others found the locker area inside the lodge.  Harriet, an 80+ club member approached us to provide ample mountain tips.  She was great and we had a lot of fun banter with her in the lift line.

Lined up as usual about 8:45 in the Crest Express and waited for the lift to open.  Harriet lines up behind us and we asked her if the lines down in the peak bowl were hers.

Up the crest and screamed down Pacific Highway, stopping briefly at the Milly Connect, which we’d later take to get down to that lift. Up the Crest and back down, this time heading all the way down to the Milly Lift.

From the Milly we checked out the est of this side of the mountain mostly in search of the Captain Hook Woods.  On a subsequent lap, we tagged and pox’s Blue the True at Brighton and proceeded through the woods.  Snow was pretty good, but the woods were short.

Up the Milly and down Little Milly that was starting to soften in sun-baked bumps.  Traversed across into no-name woods for a much needed coffee deposit and down through the woods, the snow in which was very good.

Up the Milly again and across the Scre Slipe and down some unmarked chute that was riddled with rocks.  Skipped over the rocks and back into the woods again.  Repeated the run, but I took Lone Pine, while the other ventured to the next chute(s).  This was fun and the snow was good.  We could see climbers going up the peak to drop in the bowl behind.

After lunch we headed fir the Vlayton Peak, but found the afternoon snow less desirable, hard up top, good in the middle and mushy down below.  Time for a new location. Luckily we got one run in on the Great Western as it broke down and we were forced to ride the Explorer triple to get altitude to get back to the base.

Up the Crest Express and down through the woods to hit the Snake Creek express.  We spent the rest of the day in the Hard Coon and Doilns Dewey fin start out.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Does your group of 8 generally stay together the whole day or split up?  No Tarpenhead this year 😞

It depends on the run, time of day, etc.  Some just want to keep going, others not, so they split off.

Most of the time we just meet up at the same lift.

Nope, he’s out yurting in Idaho.

Friday - Alta

Another Long Traverse Again was definitely the phrase today, as the lack of fresh snow had us searching the entire resort for the goods.

Arrived in the lot about 8:15 to baller first spot parking due to the HOV we’re roll in’. The debate was Alta or Snowbird today, with Alta winning due to the parking and accommodating inside boot-up facilities (the kid & I don’t care).

It was quite warm lining up in the lift line and I was glad I ditched the mid-layer.

Both the last and time and this time they made some excuse about a software update and asked that we scan our passes to make sure they worked.  As we walked up, murmurs of “They’re the Ikoners” could be heard from the locals.  It’s getting tiring already.  If the locals don’t like it, take it up with the mountain management who made the contract and not the passholders.  There’s gonna be a fight!

The plan was up the Collins and over to the Supreme, but some didn’t get the memo and went to the Sugarloaf, so we took an extra warmup run off the Sugarloaf, NBD.

Today was going to be challenging from the get-go.  No new snow, warm temps, bright clear sun, below freezing temps at night all made for some bad snow, which is mainly what we found.

Up Supreme and down Challenger felt like being back at Blue with lots of cookies and hard pack, but we dealt with it.  I went on recon to check for better snow up in the woods and found some goods on North aspects and higher up.

My goal today was to get everyone to Elephant’s buttcrack for a pic, unfortunately I entered the wrong gate and ended up above it.  Regardless, the snow was good.  The next run down we hit a lower gate.  Most dropped early, but I kept on and was rewarded by getting there.  Next run in we all went and took some pics.

After lunch we tried the Glory Hole and Glory Gulch which had some nice snow.  We repeated a similar laps and then headed over to Yellow trail and East Greely.  Because the mountains aspect was North, the snow was still good

Later in the day we headed down Chartreauseb, which still had some good snow.  A few more runs and out legs were rubber, so some went to change, while others went to the Wildcat to  look for anyone hiking the jumps. A few crazies and we saw some mild hucks but nothing spectacular.  We did hear the someone had a heart condition.

Towards the end, the kid & I made a few laps iff the Wildcat chair and found some good snow there, so good we did it again looking for buckets, but only saw a couple..

Back at the GMD patio. We got some beers and hung out.  As I looked, I spotted a familiar looking person.  When they got up I went over to them and asked if they knew of PASR, to which @GSSucks said he was!  What a coincidence!

Returned the kid’s skis and got some take out pizza for dinner, as were all departing tomorrow.

it was good to get a storm first thing in the week and then bluebird later, but a midweek system put the kaibosh on that

This trip was great except for today, due to in all the bluebird days.  A storm was due to roll in starting tomorrow, just in time for us to leave.

Start of the day0AC83482-230F-4D25-A464-AC4664BF00E3.thumb.jpeg.5856ac2db1d13acac9cfaea1e8a5d797.jpeg

Bumpers at Elephant’s buttcrack

EAA54B5B-98CE-43EF-B6B9-C00285D13EE6.thumb.jpeg.8853ffe8dff684764efa03886f4a495f.jpeg

Lunchtime at Alf’s

74C86A85-47B8-4B0E-B2D0-B5C0A8E3B1AA.thumb.jpeg.fdbe14231c06afb3b7ecff63c0a66d41.jpeg

Apres
D2839158-90F3-4D59-8D6F-864957F40D6B.thumb.jpeg.60bb1404e0e20f1a20791aeee28edc1a.jpeg

36132B7C-0710-48D4-831B-D4AE57C0132E.thumb.jpeg.1a78f1b13218fe4d476155cb9c581402.jpeg

Almost gone!
32A7F591-4211-4A1E-BAD3-1AC8EB095372.thumb.jpeg.bec55718f9d16e87146fe69dea47c49f.jpeg

• Like 5