Verbier, 4 Vallées, & Zermatt

toast21602

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Correct but Eaf takes risks. 

Well, I acknowledge the risks, but probably wouldn't start calling airlines first and rather wait for them to call me. They're all US citizens after all. I feel like you guys spooked them a bit.

This is an awesome trip from what I've seen. What would make the report even better are some logistical details. Like how easy it was to schedule train connections, did they get train passes or paid per trip, how far they lived from the station, what it takes to move around the village, and how they planned to get to Zermatt. That doesn't look like an easy day trip. Unless it wasn't meant to be a day trip, and then it's a shame that we'll never know. Hell, Zermatt is like a dream place that I really want to go to one day.

With Dolomites I was trying once to do everything w/o car, but it just didn't come together. Two trains and a bus, a wasted day and tons of time waiting for connections. Switzerland has to be more efficient. And going from/to airport by train is so much nicer because there is less fear of getting stuck in the mountains due to bad weather, no need to schedule buffer days to get back to the airport in time, no rental headache, etc. Hence my interest in the logistics.

Costs are another interesting subject. I see Verbier passes are like $70 per day vs $50 in Italy, not huge difference for sure. I know direct flights to Zurich are about twice as much as to Milan, I wonder how nice the accommodations choices are.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, eaf said:

Well, I acknowledge the risks, but probably wouldn't start calling airlines first and rather wait for them to call me. They're all US citizens after all. I feel like you guys spooked them a bit.

This is an awesome trip from what I've seen. What would make the report even better are some logistical details. Like how easy it was to schedule train connections, did they get train passes or paid per trip, how far they lived from the station, what it takes to move around the village, and how they planned to get to Zermatt. That doesn't look like an easy day trip. Unless it wasn't meant to be a day trip, and then it's a shame that we'll never know. Hell, Zermatt is like a dream place that I really want to go to one day.

With Dolomites I was trying once to do everything w/o car, but it just didn't come together. Two trains and a bus, a wasted day and tons of time waiting for connections. Switzerland has to be more efficient. And going from/to airport by train is so much nicer because there is less fear of getting stuck in the mountains due to bad weather, no need to schedule buffer days to get back to the airport in time, no rental headache, etc. Hence my interest in the logistics.

Costs are another interesting subject. I see Verbier passes are like $70 per day vs $50 in Italy, not huge difference for sure. I know direct flights to Zurich are about twice as much as to Milan, I wonder how nice the accommodations choices are.

I have many of the same questions and also am curious about what it’s like having a guide.  If I’m ever over in Europe with Salty and Matt Edge I don’t want to fall into a crevasse. 

• Like 1

But shoot, it's 3.5 hours by train from Verbier to Zermatt, just one way. How were they going to pull it off?

Probably weighs in the decision to return earlier. Would be such a short visit anyway.

Edited by eaf

@toast21602 and I are halfway across the Atlantic as we try to outrun the sunset.  It’s been a long day so far and it’s hard to believe that yesterday we were sitting on multiple decks drinking multiple beers getting bronzed up like golden ski gods.  We didn’t take the decision to leave lightly.  I was in the worst spot, as the other two were already connecting via LHR which was one of the few airports that non-US citizens would be allowed to travel through.  There is a real chance of sweeping cancelations for direct flights from other European cities as the only people permitted on those flights would be US citizens returning home.  They’d be flying nearly empty planes.  While we could have chosen to stay, it would’ve really dampened the mood, it would’ve been on our minds the entire time.  It would’ve been hard to have fun wondering what might happen.

Gotta know when to cash out 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I have many of the same questions and also am curious about what it’s like having a guide.  If I’m ever over in Europe with Salty and Matt Edge I don’t want to fall into a crevasse. 

We really should take a trip to Verbier with Matt Edge. Can you imagine the discussions on the plane ride for 8 hours between the 3 of us? I'd record us and send them to @AtomicSkier to listen to on repeat during his runs.

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1