Verbier, 4 Vallées, & Zermatt

toast21602

I feel like these closures (and especially school closures) end up just hurting businesses. If Twitter is of any indication, freed up kids in Portugal pile up on the beaches instead of staying home, and I keep on hearing how people around me are re-scheduling their spring breaks to happen within the following few weeks while the airfair appears cheap and schools are closed. So yeah, thanks for closing the slopes, I don't think it's gonna help though.

• Confused 2

29 minutes ago, eaf said:

One would think that it should be safer to ski outside than besiege stores in search of bottled water and toilet paper, but I guess not.

What is your expertise on the topic other than twitter? I don’t think cramming 150 people into a tram is the best idea during a pandemic. 

10 minutes ago, eaf said:

What's yours? You conveniently ignored my other post. Plus, everybody knows that the threshold is 250 people. 249 would be OK, just listen to the real experts.

10+ years of nursing with time spent leading an infectious disease task force. Masters of Nursing in administration with a focus on disaster management. And I will be wrapping up my PhD in the next year. 

But do go on and enlighten me...

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

With credentials like this one may wonder why you're sitting out the crisis at home.

But regardless, you still didn't understand my other post. It's about what people do when you close schools, lifts, mountains. They just congregate in other places, not necessarily better, and I guess you haven't seen what chaos is currently unwrapping in stores. Do go out.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, eaf said:

With credentials like this one may wonder why you're sitting out the crisis at home.

Well since you are PASR's resident epidemiologist, you would know that individuals returning from a country designated as a level-3 risk you have to self-quarantine for 14 days. Me working in an environment with immunocompromised people would be ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Well since you are PASR's resident epidemiologist, you would know that individuals returning from a country designated as a level-3 risk you have to self-quarantine for 14 days. Me working in an environment with immunocompromised people would be ridiculous. 

So what are your thoughts on this whole thing toast? Is it as bad as the news makes it seem?  I'm wondering if they're going to close the day care 

• Like 1

So what are your thoughts on this whole thing toast? Is it as bad as the news makes it seem?  I'm wondering if they're going to close the day care 

Kids are germ magnets. I have one too. It seems like this virus does not have quite the same adverse effects as something like the regular seasonal flu might, for whatever reason, but that doesn’t mean they can’t carry it and spread it to other people. If my daughter were in daycare or preschool right now, I would not be sending her.

Bring this thread back to ski stoke. More pow, European beer, and wine; less corona!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Justo8484 said:

Kids are germ magnets. I have one too. It seems like this virus does not have quite the same adverse effects as something like the regular seasonal flu might, for whatever reason, but that doesn’t mean they can’t carry it and spread it to other people. If my daughter were in daycare or preschool right now, I would not be sending her.

Bring this thread back to ski stoke. More pow, European beer, and wine; less corona!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

yes, it is bad and it will get worse. Italy had 250 deaths in the last 24 hours. That is incredibly significant and they ARE testing and screening people. I got back to the states last night. Nobody screened me. I called the PA DOH and told them that I came back from Switzerland (level 3 alert country). I asked what precautions I should take regarding self-quarantine for myself and family. They said they were not aware of any precautions that should be taken for returning from that country and will have to check with the epidemiologist and get back to me. WTF. Eventually called back and told me to self-quarantine.

I think it is actually worse than is being reported because of the lack of testing that is occurring. It is absurd that countries are testing thousands of people a day and we have barely tested 10,000 in the last two months. South Korea has been testing that many EACH DAY. 

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

I’ll post something tonight. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

yes, it is bad and it will get worse. Italy had 250 deaths in the last 24 hours. That is incredibly significant and they ARE testing and screening people. I got back to the states last night. Nobody screened me. I called the PA DOH and told them that I came back from Switzerland (level 3 alert country). I asked what precautions I should take regarding self-quarantine for myself and family. They said they were not aware of any precautions that should be taken for returning from that country and will have to check with the epidemiologist and get back to me. WTF. Eventually called back and told me to self-quarantine.

I think it is actually worse than is being reported because of the lack of testing that is occurring. It is absurd that countries are testing thousands of people a day and we have barely tested 10,000 in the last two months. South Korea has been testing that many EACH DAY. 

Thanks for the info.  Some people are saying it's terrible, others say it's overhyped, so it's good to hear your perspective.  A few people at work were told to stay home...one person who works on my floor came back from a cruise, worked all week, then was told to start the 14 day quarantine today.  I may request to work from home for a bit and keep my daughter home if I can.

Anyway, your trip looked awesome.  Looks like you got some great conditions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

Oh yeah, every time my son came home from school with some sort of ailment, it was inevitable that I contracted the same think within about 3 days, even after taking every precaution I could to not acquire whatever the hell it was.   What didn't kill me I suppose...

Fuck this coronavirus shit!!

Edited by indiggio