Colorado Ski trip Planning

Mess

I found some inexpensive flights  to Denver.  Trip would be Saturday -Wednesday.  We would ski Sunday, Monday Tuesday.  It will most likely be me and the wife.  She will most likely be skiing Blues and Greens. Any suggestions on which Mountain to visit.  I have been looking at Loveland.  

I take a SportTube carry-on that specifically carries everything I need to ski: jacket, gloves, boots, etc.

I check-in skis and a boot bag that contains everything I want to have on the trip, but don't mind losing and could still ski if they go lost.
Note that most airlines count ski bag and a boot bag as one piece of luggage, but the combined weight must not be greater than 50lbs.

I agree with Copper, especially if your wife is doing blues and greens.  The groomers there were perfect, and they also have plenty of other stuff (back bowls, bumps, trees, etc.) to keep you busy if you want to do some more advanced stuff.  Loveland is awesome too and cheap, but I think your wife would like Copper better.  Both Loveland and Copper offer free cat skiing, which is awesome.  

I have always brought my boots as my carry on/personal item..helmet clips on to my boot bag and I throw my goggles and some other stuff in the boot bag.  

• Like 1

@Mess - When are you going out to Colorado? Remember that some of the resorts close mid-April. Even if it's closing day though, they usually have 100" of base still.

I would recommend skiing Keystone / Copper / Breckenridge. They give you varied terrain especially for your wife. Check out the maps. Most of the resorts will allow you to take a run down a black and her on a blue then meet at the same lift. But, I LOVE loveland. There's usually dogs, grills and people hanging out in the parking lot. It's a chill scene. 

For renting skis, if it's a big powder day and you don't have fat skis - you might want to rent. Otherwise, I bring my out there. 

I use this bag. It fits my 2 skis, boots, clothes, helmet. And, the roller is key while walking through the massive CO airport. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NK59SB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

@Mess absolutely check in your boots and ski bag.  they count as 1 bag even though there are 2 pieces of luggage.  never bring them as carry on. you dont want to look like a gaper with your gear on the plane taking up everyones space smh

I checked my boots instead of carrying them on once...it probably wasn't packed as well as it could've been, and I've since upgraded my snowboard bag...but my boots got thrown around enough to rip out several of the metal eyelets for the laces.

I only carry on my boot bag, I don't ever bring an additional carry on bag.  I'm not too worried about taking up that much space with just my boots and stuff.

22 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

I checked my boots instead of carrying them on once...it probably wasn't packed as well as it could've been, and I've since upgraded my snowboard bag...but my boots got thrown around enough to rip out several of the metal eyelets for the laces.

I only carry on my boot bag, I don't ever bring an additional carry on bag.  I'm not too worried about taking up that much space with just my boots and stuff.

ive been arguing with the PASRs about this for years, and i will go to my grave arguing about it lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Do you carry anything on the plane TP4 or just a bag of skittles and a Mr. Pibb??  Maybe a National Geographic...

i bring a small carry on with my clothes.  however, usually i get there when the overhead space is already full, and they have to check bags.  i used to hate this, but nowadays with backage fees there are a shit ton more carry ons, so i kind of excect to have to check the carry on.  wendy's is the only place ive ever gotten mr pibb, and they switched to dr pepper a few years back

On Southwest you get an extra bag with certain sports equipment including skis. So you get to check three bags. I usually do boot bag with helmet, ski pants, etc., ski bag, and suitcase. I carry on my briefcase if I'm combining a trip with work.

If you fly Southwest set an alarm to remind you to check in exactly 24 hrs. in advance so you get a low boarding number. ( No seat assignments on Southwest.)

Made specifically for overhead storage compartment.
I've used it many times and works like a charm.  Remove helmet and find a little area where people stuff their coats.

https://www.amazon.com/Sportube-Overheader-Boot-Black-Orange/dp/B00JAH35II/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3HV56VFGC74M9&dchild=1&keywords=sporttube+boot+bag&qid=1583939987&sprefix=sporttube+%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-5

20 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

i bring a small carry on with my clothes.  however, usually i get there when the overhead space is already full, and they have to check bags.  i used to hate this, but nowadays with backage fees there are a shit ton more carry ons, so i kind of excect to have to check the carry on.  wendy's is the only place ive ever gotten mr pibb, and they switched to dr pepper a few years back

I like to board the plane early so there is overhead space and on non ski trips I only bring a carryon bag..I know they have Mr. Pibb in the Coke freestyle machines..it’s a more southern drink I remember see Mr. Pibb in Hotlanta back before the 1996 Olympics.