Colorado Ski trip Planning

Mess

14 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

On Southwest you get an extra bag with certain sports equipment including skis. So you get to check three bags. I usually do boot bag with helmet, ski pants, etc., ski bag, and suitcase. I carry on my briefcase if I'm combining a trip with work.

If you fly Southwest set an alarm to remind you to check in exactly 24 hrs. in advance so you get a low boarding number. ( No seat assignments on Southwest.)

I’ve only ever done earlybird checkin on southwest..then I can be near the front in a window seat often bulkhead row which is like first class of economy.  Carryon is ski boots ski pants phone charger misc stuff..one medium size suitcase as checked back number one and 200cm length double ski bag as checked bag number two.  I can deal with rental skis but never am I going to be without my own boots.  

I also typcially bring ski jacket on the plane it’s good storage for stuff like contact lense stuff..and whatever else you want to put in the pockets..

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I like to board the plane early so there is overhead space and on non ski trips I only bring a carryon bag..I know they have Mr. Pibb in the Coke freestyle machines..it’s a more southern drink I remember see Mr. Pibb in Hotlanta back before the 1996 Olympics. 

the Coke machines in wawa have dr pepper instead of mr pibb, but also have mellow yellow instead of mountain dew

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Sometimes olds don’t know how to work those coke machines..then I go up to them and I’m like the dude from back to the future..marty mcfly 

the problem with them is only 1 person can get a drink at a time, whereas the traditional fountain machines could have multiple people filling up at once

40 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

the problem with them is only 1 person can get a drink at a time, whereas the traditional fountain machines could have multiple people filling up at once

Creates a terrible bottleneck. Upside for Coke, in a year or so they are going to have an fantastic amount of data on which flavors are selling and which are not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schif said:

Creates a terrible bottleneck. Upside for Coke, in a year or so they are going to have an fantastic amount of data on which flavors are selling and which are not. 

We see them put in when we do Wendy's. They're wifi so everything is real time. They ping the office frequently so they know when syrup/co2 runs out

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, RidgeRacer said:

Great deal. Only problem is there's no lift served skiing to be had. Backcountry sure but even that sounds like a shit show.

I was just illustrating how cheap the airfare was right now. Backcountry in this time is irresponsible if you get hurt you’re using resources that they are using to fight the corona virus and a hospital is not where you wanna be.  I got a little enthusiast doing the men in Black dance yesterday and I had to tell myself to relax. 

A63675EC-5C7F-4ADE-BF6E-8593ED48BF1A.gif

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Schif said:

I didn't cancel my Denver flight just yet. Maybe things shake out in my favor and at the very least I get a long weekend of hiking in out there. 

When are you going, in April? That's likely when it will peak, but who knows. I usually don't worry about health but right now I'd be worried about the whole airport experience and even renting a car - who knows if the virus is in the car. Also you might get stuck in CO if there's a nationwide lockdown and all domestic flights are cancelled. If the hype is real I can see that happening in the coming months..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Great deal. Only problem is there's no lift served skiing to be had. Backcountry sure but even that sounds like a shit show.

The governor shut down the back country to avoid injuries taking valuable hospital capacity. Don't know how much it can or will be enforced.

Edited by trackbiker

@Schif  I would say do not come to Colorado. Every day more and more mountain communities are saying they do not want visitors in their town. Most have tiny medical facilities and do not want them stressed by more COVID cases or by people getting injured hiking/skiing etc. SAR has also said their resources are stretched thin and asking people to just sit tight. I know Summit, Gunnison and now The San Juan’s have issued orders about visitors. Hotels are closed as are short term rentals. Red Mountain Pass (RT 550) just issued an order that no one is allowed to drive over it unless you are local. Berthoud and Loveland Pass were complete shit shows last weekend with people parked illegally and way too many people around. Cars were towed. I think soon, those two passes will close to recreation. All local trailheads within a 2 hr drive of Denver are overcrowded.  

i know this is a total bummer to hear, but honestly, stay put. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I like your optimism but you’re straight tripping lol

I'm being optimistic because I don't see pessimism serving anyone here. I mean there is definitely a middle ground to be had in this whole thing. Everyone going about their business right now is a bad idea, but so is paralyzing the country for months on end. 

I'm seeing parallels here between the response here and the wars in the middle east since 9/11. What's the end game? Are we going to clamp down harder and harder until there are no cases being reported? Or do we have a reasonable amount of new cases that we consider acceptable to have happen when things go back to normal? I don't see this as being the kind of situation where there can be a "victory" announced. 

50 minutes ago, saltyant said:

When are you going, in April? That's likely when it will peak, but who knows. I usually don't worry about health but right now I'd be worried about the whole airport experience and even renting a car - who knows if the virus is in the car. Also you might get stuck in CO if there's a nationwide lockdown and all domestic flights are cancelled. If the hype is real I can see that happening in the coming months..

I’m hearing May for the peak.  I wouldn’t want to go to Colorado during ski season to hike unless you had the right gear.