Colorado Ski trip Planning

Mess

7 minutes ago, Schif said:

I'm being optimistic because I don't see pessimism serving anyone here. I mean there is definitely a middle ground to be had in this whole thing. Everyone going about their business right now is a bad idea, but so is paralyzing the country for months on end. 

I'm seeing parallels here between the response here and the wars in the middle east since 9/11. What's the end game? Are we going to clamp down harder and harder until there are no cases being reported? Or do we have a reasonable amount of new cases that we consider acceptable to have happen when things go back to normal? I don't see this as being the kind of situation where there can be a "victory" announced. 

Our government is being very lenient about this and cases are spreading like 30% a day..I’m thinking it will be at least early summer until things start to cool down a little bit.  Right now we are in the beginning of the beginning.  The choice is either paralyze our country for months on end or have 4 million plus deaths.  The goal is to actually prolong this pandemic to save lives and find a vaccine. If nothing was done this would be over and done with faster but leave a huge human toll. 

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

In your legitimately expert opinion, seriously no sarcasm there, how long do you think the closures will go on for? 

Definitely not a pandemic expert, but based on what is currently happening with trends of confirmed cases and people not taking this seriously enough, I think people need to prepare for the long haul - meaning quite a few more weeks. I'd love to see this end sooner than later, but it takes everybody doing their part to make it happen. Everyone from you and I, to the people who are running this country. People need to seriously stay home. I'd love to get out on the trails and parks and whatnot, but when the place is filled with other people, that isn't social distancing and that isn't going to slow the spread of anything. 

There have been a scary amount of new cases confirmed over the last few days. I understand that is because of more testing (which is great) but it also means that those people have likely been out exposing other people without knowing it. The curve is going to keep skyrocketing this week. The more people that are impacted by this, the more resources are taken from hospitals. If beds are filled with COVID patients, then there are less resources for people who have had and MI, CVA, falls, accidents, etc. The impact on hospitals goes far beyond the ability to care for COVID patients. 

My biggest concern right now is the lack of PPE that hospital are already experiencing. If people on the front lines aren't able to protect themselves appropriately and not obtain or spread this virus, then things will get ugly quicker than they already are. 

Again, this is just my perspective from a provider standpoint. I guess when there is a national medical emergency, though, we really should be looking to hear from experts within the field as opposed to people who say that "we have good disinfectants, you can spray your masks and reuse them" 🤷‍♂️

We are in a health crisis that caused an economic crisis. If you don't fix the health crisis, there will be no economic recovery. Moral of the story, stay home.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Schif said:

Womp Womp. 

Guess I'll just rebook for next winter. Are southwest rebookings good for 12 months from purchase or are they calendar year? 

https://dealswelike.boardingarea.com/not-change-southwest-flight/

you can cancel your flight and get a travel credit.  I need to do that as well. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Yes, it really is THAT simple.

My friends wife who is an ICU Physician post this on FB.  She never posts unless it’s like her kids birthday but she’s been pretty active...she’s terrified right now mainly because people aren’t taking this seriously and they don’t have enough protective gear. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

My friends wife who is an ICU Physician post this on FB.  She never posts unless it’s like her kids birthday but she’s been pretty active...she’s terrified right now mainly because people aren’t taking this seriously and they don’t have enough protective gear. 

Yeah I've been seeing a lot of my physician friends post things and normally they are silent. That should be a warning enough of how fucked this is going to get if people don't take it seriously. 

My work had a confirmed case Friday...supposedly the office was sanitized over the weekend and they encouraged people to go back to work today.  I'm not all that smart, but I would think even with a good cleaning, it's not the best idea to go back to work after only a few days.  Working from home all week if I'm allowed.  I can pretty much do everything from home except deposit checks...but with other companies working from home, we won't be receiving a lot of checks anyway

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I think a 2 month Wuhan style lockdown is needed. As much as it would suck, it would greatly minimize deaths and get this shit over with faster instead of dragging it out for the entire year or worse.

The damage is done..it just hurts watching my company checking account drop everyday.  Saturdays mail one $780 check and $4,000 in bills 😞.  I hope it doesn’t get to the point where I have to pay staff out of my own $$$$$

• Sad 1

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The damage is done..it just hurts watching my company checking account drop everyday.  Saturdays mail one $780 check and $4,000 in bills 😞.  I hope it doesn’t get to the point where I have to pay staff out of my own $$$$$

I really hope it doesn't get to that point for your family business, but you even considering doing that is pretty generous. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

My work had a confirmed case Friday...supposedly the office was sanitized over the weekend and they encouraged people to go back to work today.  I'm not all that smart, but I would think even with a good cleaning, it's not the best idea to go back to work after only a few days.  Working from home all week if I'm allowed.  I can pretty much do everything from home except deposit checks...but with other companies working from home, we won't be receiving a lot of checks anyway

My office manager came into work this morning.  I’m coming in this afternoon. Some of my customers and dealers are acting like life is normal..wait until jobs start getting delayed and deadlines aren’t met. Sorry more important things than having a tombstone on a grave by mother’s day.  

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Here's me each day Monday thru Friday

20200323_114349.jpg.32752da16db15e0a7353f471ab8b2c2d.jpg

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

I really hope it doesn't get to that point for your family business, but you even considering doing that is pretty generous. 

We’re good for like 5 months of payroll and health insurance along with other bills and that’s mainly because we had such a good 2019 and a record January and February.  When the dust settles we’re make up for it and more.  What stinks the most is that we aren’t able to provide the level of service that we’re used to but the majority are understanding of that.  Also if we aren’t setting any memorial stones than im not sending out any commission checks which helps preserve cash flow.  

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

Pretty much. I'll just keep adding years onto how long I'll need to work. I guess that is better than being dead.

Money isn't everything and a lot of people have it much, much worse than us right now, so I'm not really letting it bother me. 

Edited by saltyant

I'm not sure why they won't let you work from home if you have that ability. Why make people come in?? Offices are fucking germ factories.

54 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I'm not sure why they won't let you work from home if you have that ability. Why make people come in?? Offices are fucking germ factories.

Yeah that's how I feel too.  I'm not sure I trust that whoever cleaned did it thoroughly, and there's always people who don't wash their hands or come into work sick.  People who don't have the ability to work from home whine about it, but most of those people are pretty much just data entry.

37 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Yeah that's how I feel too.  I'm not sure I trust that whoever cleaned did it thoroughly, and there's always people who don't wash their hands or come into work sick.  People who don't have the ability to work from home whine about it, but most of those people are pretty much just data entry.

My office manager has been working from home since early last week.  If I had a computer I could as well...I don’t mind coming into work during this..it’s like the week between Xmas and New Years when we are closed.  I just pay bills, check voicemail, check the mail and smoke weed   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PSUFly said:

That’s crazy. If a coworker has it, it could have been transmitted to someone else in your office. Your coworkers could have it and just not be showing any symptoms yet.. Are you WFH this week? Stay safe

I haven’t worked in the office since February 27th 😳 

Edited by skiincy

6 hours ago, skiincy said:

That’s crazy. If a coworker has it, it could have been transmitted to someone else in your office. Your coworkers could have it and just not be showing any symptoms yet.. Are you WFH this week? Stay safe

I haven’t worked in the office since February 27th 😳 

Yeah, I'm home for now, but I may have to go in later in the week and one day next week.  The person who had it was on a different floor, but they still use the same front door as everyone else.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if other coworkers had it though.  When I was at work the past few weeks, I avoided using the coffee maker, fridge, etc. and just stayed at my desk except for going out for a walk a few times a day (and also use the potty :) )

• Like 1

Cancelled my trip. Evergreen Hotel in Vail gave a credit I have 2 years to use (after I complained about 1 year credit - wanting cash back). Jet Blue gave a credit I have 1 year to use. Frontier I believe will refund my miles in full. 

I am worried about buying Epic Pass as I am concerned what happens if they can't re-open next season. 

Figure long run this should at least be good for tombstone biz

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I am worried about buying Epic Pass as I am concerned what happens if they can't re-open next season.

I didn't re-up my Ikon pass for that very reason.

I also e-mailed them, asking if they were possibly going to delay the deadline for early-bird pricing.

Their response:

Good Morning

As of March 15, most Ikon Pass destinations have closed in the best interest of their local communities, employees, and Ikon Pass holders. We realize these unprecedented circumstances bring with them many questions. We are working through new policies and protocols and will post new information as it becomes available. We ask for your patience as we work hard to respond to all inquiries over the coming days and weeks. Ikon Pass sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience and disappointment. For a complete list of closed destinations, visit www.ikonpass.com/covid-19

Thank you for contacting the Season Pass Contact Center.

Sincerely,
Tracy
Ikon Pass Support
Alterra Mountain Company
888-365-IKON (888.365.4566)
www.IkonPass.com