Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

I liked the Brit's ways of dealing with the virus. Isolate the elderly, let everyone else catch the bug and get over it ASAP, then end the quarantine altogether and treat the serious cases, 'cause anyhow everybody's got to have it. Felt like wow, a reality TV show, will it work?? Too bad they've abandoned the plan.

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

I liked the Brit's ways of dealing with the virus. Isolate the elderly, let everyone else catch the bug and get over it ASAP, then end the quarantine altogether and treat the serious cases, 'cause anyhow everybody's got to have it. Felt like wow, a reality TV show, will it work?? Too bad they've abandoned the plan.

Up until they have so many serious cases that they have no more respirators to go around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

Because its not a fucking plan. Almost half of the people hospitalized across the US are under the age of 65. Catch the bug and get over it ASAP... what a stupid idea. 

Just now, eaf said:

That didn't work out so well for them.

Britains about face on corona virus policy

Yeah, yeah, it didn't work, they've changed the plans, I already said it. Still it was a novel way of thinking. This quarantine doesn't do much either yet. The curves are still shooting for the stars. May have helped in China, but China is China.

Just now, eaf said:

Yeah, yeah, it didn't work, they've changed the plans, I already said it. Still it was a STUPID way of thinking. This quarantine doesn't do much either yet. The curves are still shooting for the stars. May have helped in China, but China is China.

FIFY

Do you shut everything down and destroy the economy? Or leave things running and accept a 4 million person death tally, but it’s all over in three months. Plus the first option doesn’t guarantee any lessening of the deaths.

Our family cemetery plot in South River New Jersey, is in a fairly crowded cemetery. But next to our family plot is an open field about 100’ x 200’. When I asked my grandparents what it was, and they said it was a mass grave from the 1918 flu virus.

Is that depressing enough?7061889fc078e82195dc1164397529e4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

I dunno. Working from home is great until you’re forced to do it every day. I value social interaction. 

Yep. Talking to people on Skype or Zoom or whatever isn't the same. Everyone knows I can't stand working from home long term and have only done it a week here or there.

One of these weekends we should meet up and do a bike ride on the D&L trail. I've been taking this seriously and haven't been around anyone since the party. Once we've all been quarantined for 14 days I think it's safe to be in reasonably close proximity on bike trails or roads. 

One silver lining is road biking should be safer due to less traffic. 

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Yep. Talking to people on Skype or Zoom or whatever isn't the same. Everyone knows I can't stand working from home long term and have only done it a week here or there.

One of these weekends we should meet up and do a bike ride on the D&L trail. I've been taking this seriously and haven't been around anyone since the party. Once we've all been quarantined for 14 days I think it's safe to be in reasonably close proximity on bike trails or roads. 

One silver lining is road biking should be safer due to less traffic. 

You should get out for a ride, but I'm not meeting up with anybody right now. No offense. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Once things return to normal I'll start a D&L trail ride discussion in the bike thread. It would be great if you'd join us!

I support this. You should also post the rides that you've been doing in that thread to keep things less pandemic related. @AtomicSkier and I and others should do the same with running.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trackbiker said:

But what do you do when they close your hotel house due to lack of people traveling? Where do you go?  Cardboard box under a bridge?

They’re not closing and if they did they give me a refund and I can live in my office or at Atomic Jeff’s house. My hotel house isn’t many travelers it’s mainly construction workers and perhaps some people in between residences.  

1 hour ago, eaf said:

Why not just shoot all the people over age 70 in the head.  Oh and what happens when the hospitals are completely overloaded???  Anyway a lot of the so called isolated elderly in the U.K. will be coming down with symptoms and need intensive care in the coming days as the incubation period for this is so long.   Sorry Eaf that your style is being cramped with this. You’ll get through this..

Here's a fresh thought: "Once interventions are relaxed (in the example in Figure 3, from September onwards), infections begin to rise, resulting in a predicted peak epidemic later in the year. The more successful a strategy is at temporary suppression, the larger the later epidemic is predicted to be in the absence of vaccination, due to lesser build-up of herd immunity."

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 10.50.46 AM.png