Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

24 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

That graph is pretty meaningless unless it’s adjusted for per capita or per area.

You can make a graph say anything you want.  How to lie with statistics.  Some people will bite your head off if you suggest that their data is misleading or paints a worse picture, though.   I also feel that absolute numbers aren’t that useful when comparing countries, or even states.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

You can make a graph say anything you want.  How to lie with statistics.  Some people here will bite your head off if you suggest that their data is misleading or paints a worse picture, though.   I also feel that absolute numbers aren’t that useful when comparing countries, or even states.

You’re right. That chart actually shows that things are worse here when compared to countries like China who has a population 40% larger than ours while our diagnosed case rate continues to rise.

China has a case rate of about 1 per ~18k persons while the US has 1 per ~5k persons if my quick calculations are accurate. Particularly concerning since diagnosed cases continue to rise and our hospitals are maxed.

27 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

You can make a graph say anything you want.  How to lie with statistics.  Some people will bite your head off if you suggest that their data is misleading or paints a worse picture, though.   I also feel that absolute numbers aren’t that useful when comparing countries, or even states.

There is only one acceptable opinion on this.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

You’re right. That chart actually shows that things are worse here when compared to countries like China who has a population 40% larger than ours while our diagnosed case rate continues to rise.

China has a case rate of about 1 per ~18k persons while the US has 1 per ~5k persons if my quick calculations are accurate. Particularly concerning since diagnosed cases continue to rise and our hospitals are maxed.

Do you believe the stats from China??  I thought in China the outbreak was mainly in a small area and it was contained. 

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Do you believe the stats from China??  I thought in China the outbreak was mainly in a small area and it was contained. 

Not 100% but they continue to report more cases daily even if the numbers are small. Getting accurate data is difficult from every country.  I don’t think their numbers are drastically underreported, though. 

8 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Not 100% but they continue to report more cases daily even if the numbers are small. Getting accurate data is difficult from every country.  I don’t think their numbers are drastically underreported, though. 

Germany has such a low death rate than other European countries. I showed that graph stat to my mom and she didn’t want to see it.  

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Germany has such a low death rate than other European countries. I showed that graph stat to my mom and she didn’t want to see it.  

I read that it is because of their focus on early testing, so they are able to identify people and monitor those who test positive before it becomes emergent. The US mortality rate isn’t terrible right now, but remember we are still behind countries like Italy and Spain (who also have older demographics) Hopefully it doesn’t get like that here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I read that it is because of their focus on early testing, so they are able to identify people and monitor those who test positive before it becomes emergent. The US mortality rate isn’t terrible right now, but remember we are still behind countries like Italy and Spain (who also have older demographics) Hopefully it doesn’t get like that here. 

Our mortality rate will get a lot worse because it can take days from when somebody is diagnosed to when they die plus very soon hospitals are gonna be like Italy where there won’t be enough respirators and doctors and nurses will have to make war time decisions.  If there’s a 65 year old and an 80 year old you let the 65 year old live.  IF the 80 year old was on city council maybe he supersedes a 78 year old who was not.  I’ve read all about it. Also who is responsible for the lack of safety gear in American hospitals???  I also read stories like this kind of messed up.   Ok back to my jack and stoke 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kfor.com/health/coronavirus/rn-claims-he-was-fired-for-wearing-a-protective-mask/amp/

8 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

But you could be negative today, but still have it and not test positive immediately. And how accurate are the tests? 

1 minute ago, momskeeztoo said:

But you could be negative today, but still have it and not test positive immediately. And how accurate are the tests? 

Same could be said for any test where you are looking at viral load assay. Those cases are not common at all - especially because we are only testing people with active symptoms.

18 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Our mortality rate will get a lot worse because it can take days from when somebody is diagnosed to when they die plus very soon hospitals are gonna be like Italy where there won’t be enough respirators and doctors and nurses will have to make war time decisions.  If there’s a 65 year old and an 80 year old you let the 65 year old live.  IF the 80 year old was on city council maybe he supersedes a 78 year old who was not.  I’ve read all about it. Also who is responsible for the lack of safety gear in American hospitals???  I also read stories like this kind of messed up.   Ok back to my jack and stoke 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kfor.com/health/coronavirus/rn-claims-he-was-fired-for-wearing-a-protective-mask/amp/

Lay off the Jack. You’re starting to panic. 

• Haha 1

If New York is now considered the "epicenter" for the US then why are there flights in and out of NY. Why are the bridges and tunnels open? Shut everything down for 2 weeks. There are over 30k cases in that state alone. Flights from Europe and China were shut down weeks ago when those counties had similar numbers, if not less, but you can grab a flight out of JFK to multiple places. Florida governor was pissed and I don't blame him. Gotta keep people safe and protected. Makes no sense.

6 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

If New York is now considered the "epicenter" for the US then why are there flights in and out of NY. Why are the bridges and tunnels open? Shut everything down for 2 weeks. There are over 30k cases in that state alone. Flights from Europe and China were shut down weeks ago when those counties had similar numbers, if not less, but you can grab a flight out of JFK to multiple places. Florida governor was pissed and I don't blame him. Gotta keep people safe and protected. Makes no sense.

Uh, because 'Merica...

Just now, momskeeztoo said:

I’m guessing they like St Luke’s better than Lehigh Valley. But it is great they are doing that. I’ll buy next seasons pass to help with their lost revenue this season. 

St Luke’s sponsors some of their learning programs. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

People traveling from NYC have to quarantine for 14 days. You can’t shut the bridges and tunnels because the people that work in the essential businesses like hospitals most likely aren’t living where they can walk to them. And sure, the Florida gov may be pissed, but he’s the idiot that allowed the beaches in Florida to stay open for the idiots like the kid @indiggio posted. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

People traveling from NYC have to quarantine for 14 days. You can’t shut the bridges and tunnels because the people that work in the essential businesses like hospitals most likely aren’t living where they can walk to them. And sure, the Florida gov may be pissed, but he’s the idiot that allowed the beaches in Florida to stay open for the idiots like the kid @indiggio posted. 

My cousin lives in Manhattan, when shit started hitting the fan her and her boyfriend left immediately. She took a week of PTO banking on her work eventually closing and it worked out in her favor. Fortunately they were both able to be tested recently and both tests came back negative. Unfortunately, they’re not sure when they’re going to be able to return home which is probably for the best. 

• Like 1