Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

8 hours ago, toast21602 said:

focus on early testing, so they are able to identify people and monitor those who test positive before it becomes emergent.

Is what needs to be done here ASAP, but the idiot in charge says it's not worthwhile to try to test everyone.

With people capable of be contagious prior to/without showing symptoms, testing everyone is the only containment method that's going to actually work.

1 minute ago, indiggio said:

Is what needs to be done here ASAP, but the idiot in charge says it's not worthwhile to try to test everyone.

With people capable of be contagious prior to/without showing symptoms, testing everyone is the only containment method that's going to actually work.

Well, it really isn't going to be possible to test everyone and is somewhat unrealistic. While Donald may not have been quick to take this seriously, the way the testing is being done now is much better than it was before. That's why the social isolation is super important. 2-3 weeks of isolating should limit the transmission if people actually distance themselves. That is the best way to 'contain' the virus without wasting important tests on everyone. 

50 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I saw yesterday that Eddie Bauer voluntary switched some of their production lines to make protective masks.  Props to them too.

11 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Shaggys skis did the same thing.  

I've seen so many businesses step up and do things like this and donate extra supplies and food and whatnot. It makes me want to support them more than those who aren't doing anything once this is over.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Kyle said:

My cousin lives in Manhattan, when shit started hitting the fan her and her boyfriend left immediately. She took a week of PTO banking on her work eventually closing and it worked out in her favor. Fortunately they were both able to be tested recently and both tests came back negative. Unfortunately, they’re not sure when they’re going to be able to return home which is probably for the best. 

Why did they take those tests?

9 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I've seen so many businesses step up and do things like this and donate extra supplies and food and whatnot. It makes me want to support them more than those who aren't doing anything once this is over.

I heard people complaining that ShopRite raised the price of TP.  Makes me not want to shop there.

• Like 1

Just now, indiggio said:

I heard people complaining that ShopRite raised the price of TP.  Makes me not want to shop there.

Depends on how much they raised it and if the price was raised to them. Either way, if people are reporting neighbors doing lawn work someone will report to the AG for price gouging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

In other COVID-19 news, the stimulus bill passed unanimous in the senate late last night and it has some pretty significant implications for those who are unemployed because of this. So props to them for actually getting something done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/coronavirus-stimulus-check-calculator/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Thanks 1

That's a stupid calc. It uses past tax return data and has a phase out.

Poors will be happy to get a free hundred, but what about people who had income, still have matching expenses, but now have to sit w/o a dime due to the closures and apparently get nothing? Want to compensate everybody for shutting everything down? Do it fairly.

44 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I forget where I saw it, but someone made the point that times like these are what shows you who the greedy assholes are and who are decent people/companies.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That’s my boy blue...this is a girl I know who has a little Etsy sewing and embroidery business. 

00EB4061-B406-4014-B5B8-36E85AB56B38.png

Do masks have to be made of a certain material or meet any specifications?  I have, and know how to use a sewing machine.  Makes me want to get involved in helping somehow.  

Just now, NMSKI said:

Do masks have to be made of a certain material or meet any specifications?  I have, and know how to use a sewing machine.  Makes me want to get involved in helping somehow.  

"Last week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention started recommending homemade face masks as a “crisis response” option for health-care workers, saying that items such as bandanas and scarves could be used in place of more official gear like surgical masks as a “last resort.” While fabric masks aren’t as effective as an N95 mask or disposable surgical masks, Pennsylvania Secretary of Health Rachel Levine said in a news conference on Tuesday that they may be “better than nothing.”

• Like 2

Just now, NMSKI said:

It is crazy how many people have been sewing masks for protection! They are all over social media and it is awesome to see people stepping up. The masks that people are sewing are most likely not medical grade or appropriate for providers to wear in high-risk areas, but I admit that I don't know what materials or guidelines they are following (if any). Interesting study done about cloth masks here. They still provide protection, but if I am working in the field or clinically I would want proper PPE. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I forget where I saw it, but someone made the point that times like these are what shows you who the greedy assholes are and who are decent people/companies.  

Tons of breweries making the switch to hand sanitizer.  Bud probably being the biggest, but lots of others like Dogfish Head.  Also Harbor Freight donated all of their stock of masks and gloves to hospitals.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, JFskiDan said:

Tons of breweries making the switch to hand sanitizer.  Bud probably being the biggest, but lots of others like Dogfish Head.  Also Harbor Freight donated all of their stock of masks and gloves to hospitals.  

I think all go the distilleries in the LV have switched to that too. Eight Oaks is a local place that really jumped out early to do this and is producing a ton of products, so I gave them a couple bucks to continue doing that and bought a bottle of bourbon. Win-win. Cool place to hang in the summer, too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

If anyone is in the market for a nice wheel upgrade for your bike, consider supporting Industry 9. They're offering up their machining and fabrication capabilities to help produce any parts that might be in short supply right now. Not sure who they've ended up contracting with or what they're producing at the moment though. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

My cousin lives in Manhattan, when shit started hitting the fan her and her boyfriend left immediately. She took a week of PTO banking on her work eventually closing and it worked out in her favor. Fortunately they were both able to be tested recently and both tests came back negative. Unfortunately, they’re not sure when they’re going to be able to return home which is probably for the best. 

Where did they go?  There was and continues to be a mass exodus of people from NY and NJ to Pa and we don’t have signs telling them to go home like in VT. I’ve never seen so many NY license plates in the western Lehigh valley. 

I’m starting to get used to going into work at the crack of 1.  Been working harder at selling memorial stones over the phone.   Actually beat last weeks dismal sales yesterday.  Lady called who wanted info and I ended up taking a deposit over the phone for a memorial stone.  I said when the dust settles we will be slammed get your order in now and you will be front of the line..voice mails and calls at work used to be a pain in the ass now it’s an opportunity.  

Two days ago the sandblast facility in Vermont who does all of our artwork and inscription said they’d be open until people start getting sick..yesterday they announced they were shutting down until at least mid April.  That’s the start of future log jams and back ups.   Trucking company we use is afraid to go into NY and PA since non essential. We can’t deliver cause non essential..with sandblast company shut down at least we aren’t getting a couple grand a week in new bills from them. 

42 minutes ago, eaf said:

That's a stupid calc. It uses past tax return data and has a phase out.

Poors will be happy to get a free hundred, but what about people who had income, still have matching expenses, but now have to sit w/o a dime due to the closures and apparently get nothing? Want to compensate everybody for shutting everything down? Do it fairly.

People who have made over $75k a year, year after year should at least have some money set aside in an emergency fund for living expenses???  Ideally thAt would b the case right??  

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

People who have made over $75k a year, year after year should at least have some money set aside in an emergency fund for living expenses???  Ideally thAt would b the case right??  

Same thing with billion dollar businesses that are requesting funds too, right? Maybe they shouldn't have been eating all of that avocado toast and drinking lattes. 

43 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Like the landlord in Allentown who was cutting peoples cable who paid rent late..glad he got shamed by Lehigh valley with love, the morning call, WFMZ, lehighvalleylive...if I see him walking around Whole Foods or the farmers market I will walk by him and cough and say asshole loudly. 

F41B5E57-CFF9-4410-96CE-F5983C88DEC8.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1