Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

8 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

Every time I go out, I see high school aged kids hanging out somewhere. Today, I actually saw the cops chase about 10-12 kids on bikes out of an already closed park. I don’t think they caught anyone.

Police aren't going to catch anyone, they don't want to catch the virus from them.

11 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Shouldn’t the hospitals also take some responsibility and gotten prepared with test kits and protective gear when Wuhan was having their outbreak in January? 

Hospitals in this country are run like businesses and the bottom line is monitored to the tee by bean counters.
Unfortunately they're not going to put a ton of money into supplies that sit idly by in storage in the hopes that a pandemic occurs, which is obviously what's happening now.
People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.  If they (hospitals and regular people) would have had a pandemic plan, you wouldn't have seen the mad rush to buy every roll of TP in existence and every N95 mask.

The onus of all this is a failure to plan for such a situation from Trump on down to each and every single person (barring the few actual preparers out there in the world).
Hell, people can't stay away from one another for a couple of weeks and can't even stop going out skiing as we've seen, which puts themselves and others in danger, regardless of how innocent they seem to think doing so is.  You can hit a tree or a rock or even get into an accident driving to wherever and now you bring others into the picture.

Regardless of who's in office, they'd be saying the same thing "Stay at home" and people wouldn't listen, it's 'Murica after all and we do what we want, when we want, however we want.
Short of turning the place into a military police state like they did in China, where they're throwing people in confinement for not conforming, cases are just going to keep multiplying.

Actually you have to commend China to a certain extent in that they did sequence the virus as fast as they could and released that to the world so that the collective could start working on developing tests kits and hopefully a vaccine, but the spread outpaced development.  Creating millions of test kits doesn't happen overnight, so there's no way countries, governments, hospitals, etc. could have gotten prepared with test kits.

Stay at home and be healthy!

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Depends on the manufacturer and the lab. Some people have been waiting up to two weeks, while people like Donny and Pencey and the NBA players get their results in just a few hours. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Depends on the manufacturer and the lab. Some people have been waiting up to two weeks, while people like Donny and Pencey and the NBA players get their results in just a few hours. 

Yup, surely.  Money talks, bullshit walks...

10 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

Every time I go out, I see high school aged kids hanging out somewhere. Today, I actually saw the cops chase about 10-12 kids on bikes out of an already closed park. I don’t think they caught anyone. 

My neighbor has two different visitors regularly stopping in. Silver civic & white explorer.  I keep asking myself “who else are those visitors in contact with?”.

Is your neighbor elderly? Maybe people check on him/ her routinely. My brother checks on my mom and my aunt twice daily. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, indiggio said:

Hospitals in this country are run like businesses and the bottom line is monitored to the tee by bean counters.
Unfortunately they're not going to put a ton of money into supplies that sit idly by in storage in the hopes that a pandemic occurs, which is obviously what's happening now.
People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.  If they (hospitals and regular people) would have had a pandemic plan, you wouldn't have seen the mad rush to buy every roll of TP in existence and every N95 mask.

Stay at home and be healthy!

In my brief experience with hospital supply chain work, there is an issue with overstocking on most things that don't get used. Nearly everything in a hospital has an expiration date from the drugs and saline bags down to surgical gowns and gloves. A reason that the hospitals stock to a predetermined level for each item based on historical need coupled with a safety stock is of course a product of not spending too much money, but also in reducing waste. If a hospital was to stock up on sterilized packaged masks (the packaging is a whole other supply chain issue I have  experience with as well) and wait for a pandemic, then when they did their annual inventory it is likely that in a non pandemic year they would run into an expiration date issue and have to get rid of perfectly good gear. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, indiggio said:

Police aren't going to catch anyone, they don't want to catch the virus from them.

Oh hell no they weren’t going to catch them. Bikes in the woods are much faster than cops on foot. I bet they re-grouped at another park within 20 minutes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indiggio said:

I see the religious institutions are exempt...

Also, are outdoor activities strictly limited to walking, hiking, or running? I assume there's some loose interpretation around the words "such as" in this statement, but i'm curious where that line is actually drawn.

Btw, my clipper haircut went surprisingly well. I did it just before they announced the stay at home till april 30th. Had i know that, i would have gone shorter, but at least at this point i dont look homeless. 
decided since im so good at clipping stuff, i will attack the huge arborvitaes i have along my property line tomorrow or the next day.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justo8484 said:

I see the religious institutions are exempt...

Also, are outdoor activities strictly limited to walking, hiking, or running? I assume there's some loose interpretation around the words "such as" in this statement, but i'm curious where that line is actually drawn.

just cant take a pontoon boat on the lehigh.