Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

This is a good page for up to date data on Covid-19.  Interesting to see all the testing about 2.3 million tests in the US  about one in 5 tested is infected..that holds true in PA   In NY and NJ almost one in 2 infected while Vermont is one in 14 and Hawaii one in 40 tested came up positive   

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

I’m starting to hear more and more people become less concerned with getting sick and more concerned with not being able to pay bills.  I say within a few weeks a lot of people will he saying fuck it and going about their lives as normally as possible.  Then, the state police will come in to enforce and all hell breaks loose

This is a good page for up to date data on Covid-19.  Interesting to see all the testing about 2.3 million tests in the US  about one in 5 tested is infected..that holds true in PA   In NY and NJ almost one in 2 infected while Vermont is one in 14 and Hawaii one in 40 tested came up positive   

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

This site has some incredible interactive data: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data

5 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I’m starting to hear more and more people become less concerned with getting sick and more concerned with not being able to pay bills.  I say within a few weeks a lot of people will he saying fuck it and going about their lives as normally as possible.  Then, the state police will come in to enforce and all hell breaks loose

Aren’t most getting unemployment plus the extra $600 a week from Uncle Sam through late July?  Some will end up collecting more than they make on their job.  Everytime the mail comes at work I pray for checks.  On Monday a really nice order came in the mail and normally I’d be like meh only one order and it was like freaking relief that day. Optimistically I think my business can make it till July until I have to lay people off, take a loan or use my own money..still haven’t heard anything yet about th payroll protection program. 

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Aren’t most getting unemployment plus the extra $600 a week from Uncle Sam through late July?  Some will end up collecting more than they make on their job.  Everytime the mail comes at work I pray for checks.  On Monday a really nice order came in the mail and normally I’d be like meh only one order and it was like freaking relief that day. Optimistically I think my business can make it till July until I have to lay people off, take a loan or use my own money..still haven’t heard anything yet about th payroll protection program. 

What’s the $600 week?

21 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

What’s the $600 week?

It starts up really soon some have already received it.   There’s no separate application for it...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/senate-stimulus-unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

3 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Schools in Pennsylvania are officially closed for the remainder of the academic year.

Cue the Alice Cooper song..I wonder if this will translate into a tax savings for property tax owners.  School districts are likely gonna go way under budget with hourly workers not being paid, lower utility costs, no bussing.  

Ridge im sure your older kid is sad about this since she’s a senior.  Are the younger kids happy about this??  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Cue the Alice Cooper song..I wonder if this will translate into a tax savings for property tax owners.  School districts are likely gonna go way under budget with hourly workers not being paid, lower utility costs, no bussing.  

There's online learning. Granted it's not nearly as structured as actual school (at least for the younger kids) there's still a 4th quarter. It's just all virtual.
  • Like 1

Just now, RidgeRacer said:

There's online learning. Granted it's not nearly as structured as actual school (at least for the younger kids) there's still a 4th quarter. It's just all virtual.

How many hours a day are they online?  My friend who teaches in Philly is not allowed to teach online because only a small percentage of her students have access to the internet.  Out of all my friends she’s enjoying this lockdown the most...but she can fucking relax..one of those that can just sit by the pool...me I get the Jimmy legs. 

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

Teaching online sucks. 

How large are the classes that you teach.  I guess the silver lining to this is teachers are still getting paid.  @SallyCat what’s it like at the private school you teach at.   I think this is tough for the parents having kids home all day..

I expected that they would be closed for the rest of the year, but that doesn't make it suck any less.  My wife and I are splitting up the learning days, although she has covered more thus far and I will need to pick up the slack the more she gets called in to work.  Fucking brutal doing these home schooling lessons.  I've heard its easier for upper-middle and high school students who are better at independently learning.  For a 3rd and a 5th grader not so easy.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How many hours a day are they online?  My friend who teaches in Philly is not allowed to teach online because only a small percentage of her students have access to the internet.  Out of all my friends she’s enjoying this lockdown the most...but she can fucking relax..one of those that can just sit by the pool...me I get the Jimmy legs. 

Teaching elementary kids online is harder work and longer hours than teaching them in school.  I hear middle and high schoolers are easier to teach online.  A lot of teachers are working their asses off right now

• Like 1

Ridge im sure your older kid is sad about this since she’s a senior.  Are the younger kids happy about this??  

My younger kids are ok with it. They miss their friends but that's about it. Bummed for my oldest for sure who worked hard for 3 1/2 years only to see graduation and prom likely cancelled. We know there are a lot of people dealing with a lot worse because of this so there's definitely perspective. Still sad for her and her friends for sure.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1