Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

Our NJ schools haven’t closed for the rest of the year yet but it’s coming. They’ve been out for just about 4 weeks now and were due to go back the week after next. That’s not happening. My girls have online instruction for a few hours in the morning and assignments in the afternoon.

My oldest loves school and isn’t happy missing it. They are both bummed about not seeing their friends and missing softball.

41 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I expected that they would be closed for the rest of the year, but that doesn't make it suck any less.  My wife and I are splitting up the learning days, although she has covered more thus far and I will need to pick up the slack the more she gets called in to work.  Fucking brutal doing these home schooling lessons.  I've heard its easier for upper-middle and high school students who are better at independently learning.  For a 3rd and a 5th grader not so easy.  

Has your work been normal??  I couldn’t imagine my parents trying to teach me..maybe cause I’ve always been a lot smarter than them. Speaking of parents mine have been annoying.  My dad hasn’t been involved in the business in years..I’m the president but now due to this pandemic he feels relevant and been up my ass and office managers and accountants. I’ve held my cool as one day I won’t have parents. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

If the day cares close even longer I'm gonna lose my shit Haha. Currently closed until at least May. 

What do parents do if they have kids and serious jobs they can’t miss? You can’t even dump kids at grandparents house during this due to social distancing. I’m thinking something like daycare will be one of the last things to reopen.  I need to get one of those contact free thermometers for when I’m allowed to have customers back in here.  They’ll be happy I don’t take their temperature rectally...wahahahaha 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Has your work been normal??  I couldn’t imagine my parents trying to teach me..maybe cause I’ve always been a lot smarter than them. Speaking of parents mine have been annoying.  My dad hasn’t been involved in the business in years..I’m the president but now due to this pandemic he feels relevant and been up my ass and office managers and accountants. I’ve held my cool as one day I won’t have parents. 

Yeah, my work is open and I've been coming in about 50/50 which is more than I'd like but at least I can sit in my office and close the door to distance myself from others..  I'm lucky that my company is in a really strong position to weather this storm but I still worry.  I can understand your dad wanted to get involved.  We have directors and huge customers that never gave a shit before that are up our asses nonstop right now.  

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Aren’t most getting unemployment plus the extra $600 a week from Uncle Sam through late July?  Some will end up collecting more than they make on their job.  Everytime the mail comes at work I pray for checks.  On Monday a really nice order came in the mail and normally I’d be like meh only one order and it was like freaking relief that day. Optimistically I think my business can make it till July until I have to lay people off, take a loan or use my own money..still haven’t heard anything yet about th payroll protection program. 

Our company is very concerned about this - as a pharma company we are essential and luckily so far have had no major issues.  Both plants have been running very close to normal. We dont want employees leaving the plant because they can make more money on unemployment than actually working. If employees start leaving, we won't be able to run the plants properly. its all so crazy.

1 minute ago, NMSKI said:

Yeah, my work is open and I've been coming in about 50/50 which is more than I'd like but at least I can sit in my office and close the door to distance myself from others..  I'm lucky that my company is in a really strong position to weather this storm but I still worry.  I can understand your dad wanted to get involved.  We have directors and huge customers that never gave a shit before that are up our asses nonstop right now.  

My dad is bored and self important as well. This must be tough on my mom. She typically expects my dad to leave the house 5 hours or so a day to play golf or swim or go to gym or go to Pho place or Jewish deli and he’s home all the time. My mom is totally beside herself that she can’t see her grandkids...I think she just spends most of the day on the phone with my sister and her sisters. 

1 minute ago, Zonked said:

Our company is very concerned about this - as a pharma company we are essential and luckily so far have had no major issues.  Both plants have been running very close to normal. We dont want employees leaving the plant because they can make more money on unemployment than actually working. If employees start leaving, we won't be able to run the plants properly. its all so crazy.

It’s crazy so people who were making $10 an hour before who were laid off are making about $23 an hour now with the supplement....it was poorly executed.  Should have covered the gap between unemployment and last salary but for people who make below like $55k a year they’re better off on unemployment. Can’t you only collect unemployment if you’re laid off not if you voluntarily quit?  I do know that if employees fee unsafe due to corona virus in workplace there are other exceptions. 

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It’s crazy so people who were making $10 an hour before who were laid off are making about $23 an hour now with the supplement....it was poorly executed.  Should have covered the gap between unemployment and last salary but for people who make below like $55k a year they’re better off on unemployment. Can’t you only collect unemployment if you’re laid off not if you voluntarily quit?  I do know that if employees fee unsafe due to corona virus in workplace there are other exceptions. 

There are a lot of restrictions and whatnot about who gets the supplement and who doesn't It doesn't seem as easy as it is for people. As for exceptions for employees feeling unsafe, talk to healthcare providers 🙄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Interesting new information on how rona attacks and that ventilators may not be the answer...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ONDJpYEYGHOA6xHiP7foOLQXHROK84bO/view?fbclid=IwAR19XRhrE6hYfbRLgP2D3tLPU6mN0JkyznAHUNo3k_Yt9lUAsUMNbmlKVL4

Where are the studies and references in this google doc? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shadows said:

call it whatever.

public school is compulsory and some peeps dont have internet to take classes.  plus libraries are closed.

I dont care enough to continue this. just saying. 

Oh I know. Situations like this just exacerbate inequity. 

Ive had this song stuck in my head for like 3 weeks...and on topic this plague is definitely going to create a greater gap between the haves and the have nots.  I was trying to explain to my office manager why afro Americans are dying more from this than white people...a lot of them work front end service jobs, take public transportation, have undocumented medical conditions and not just race but socioeconomic status plays into this a lot. Barely any corona cases in the deep west end of allentown but tons of them in the ghetto areas of Allentown. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

call it whatever.
public school is compulsory and some peeps dont have internet to take classes.  plus libraries are closed.
I dont care enough to continue this. just saying. 

Schools are working with cable companies to provide free internet to folks who qualify for a certain amount of months.
  • Like 2