Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

It's really bad here like I predicted in March. Unfortunately my older relatives insist on shopping locally. My grandfather who's 82 and in good health thinks he's invincible and doesn't even wear a mask.

I saw this and it’s very true. Salty you should help out your grandfather and pick up groceries for him. 

294D34A2-BAAA-4DC4-9C2D-5919C016AF0F.jpeg

13 minutes ago, saltyant said:

My sister already did offer but he said nah and went to several stores..

I offered to go shopping for both my mom and father-in-law, both declined. I won’t be asking again, as I don’t think I’ll be going to a store for a month. 

Went food shopping this morning and was surprised at the number of older people who were out and about. I’m sure some don’t have family close by that can shop for them but I would have thought they were the minority. My in-laws were still running errands a week ago and my father-in-law had just gotten out of the hospital after being in for 3 weeks and dropping to 105 pounds with some serious health issues. [emoji20] Thankfully they got them straightened out and are staying home now.

27 minutes ago, mikes781 said:

Went food shopping this morning and was surprised at the number of older people who were out and about.

I've seen a lot of older people out. Some of it really stupid. Like the 50 something women walking her mother with a walker out of the store watching that she didn't fall. I wanted to ask her why the hell wouldn't you shop for her???

Then there was the 80 something women buying lottery tickets at the beer distributor. Buying lottery tickets is stupid enough but that's the only reason you went out now??

Most stores have senior shopping the first hour of opening but I see older people shopping at all hours. I guess they're the same ones going to the post office around Christmas and clogging up the line at lunch time when people who work are trying to mail a package on their lunch hour.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

I've seen a lot of older people out. Some of it really stupid. Like the 50 something women walking her mother with a walker out of the store watching that she didn't fall. I wanted to ask her why the hell wouldn't you shop for her???

Then there was the 80 something women buying lottery tickets at the beer distributor. Buying lottery tickets is stupid enough but that's the only reason you went out now??

Most stores have senior shopping the first hour of opening but I see older people shopping at all hours. I guess they're the same ones going to the post office around Christmas and clogging up the line at lunch time when people who work are trying to mail a package on their lunch hour.

A lot of people without masks too. 

In Philly I'd say half of everyone I see out has a mask on now. And thats in and around Penn's campus, and some of these are healthcare workers. I imagine the numbers drop off quick as you get into the rougher neighborhoods. 

In covid corridor jersey trip to liquor store EVERYONE was wearing a mask (plus me).

CDC has finally issued guidelines in that regard

27 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

In covid corridor jersey trip to liquor store EVERYONE was wearing a mask (plus me).

CDC has finally issued guidelines in that regard

It hasn't gotten that bad in PA, even in Philly. The thing that worries me most is we never really seem to have tested that much to begin with. They shutdown the CDC testing site at the stadiums because the emergency funding for that already ran out. I can't imagine the poorer areas of the city, especially in Kensington with the huge homeless and addicted population come out of this without a lot of issues, but we might never really know about it because its not like people in those communities are even going to come forward to get tested in the first place. 

• Like 1

It hasn't gotten that bad in PA, even in Philly. The thing that worries me most is we never really seem to have tested that much to begin with. They shutdown the CDC testing site at the stadiums because the emergency funding for that already ran out. I can't imagine the poorer areas of the city, especially in Kensington with the huge homeless and addicted population come out of this without a lot of issues, but we might never really know about it because its not like people in those communities are even going to come forward to get tested in the first place. 

Yep yep. Statistics in nj/ny are skewed to as only hospital deaths are counted. NYT reported many fold increase at home deaths compared to same time frame last year that are not part of daily tally (understandably).
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How many hours a day are they online?  My friend who teaches in Philly is not allowed to teach online because only a small percentage of her students have access to the internet.  Out of all my friends she’s enjoying this lockdown the most...but she can fucking relax..one of those that can just sit by the pool...me I get the Jimmy legs. 

We’re available from 9-3. I usually have one staff, grade level or department meeting a day. Other than that I send the work out every morning on google classroom and then small group instruct for about an hour a day. All in all it’s about 3 hours a day. My wife teaches kindergarten and puts about 4 hours a day in. Plus making sure my own 3 kids are doing their work. With that we are at an advantage since we both work in the district that our girls go to. Teacher happy hours at my house for the last however many years allow my girls direct access to their teachers whenever they need it.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, toast21602 said:

Yup, and some schools are providing computers for those who do not have any either. 

Day one, March 16th we delivered to about 10 percent of our student body who needed devices. It was mostly younger students who didn’t need a laptop in 3rd grade. By middle school everyone needs one to get by. So weird to think I was going in houses and helping them get set up and sign paperwork. I couldn’t imagine doing that today.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, mikes781 said:

Our NJ schools haven’t closed for the rest of the year yet but it’s coming. They’ve been out for just about 4 weeks now and were due to go back the week after next. That’s not happening. My girls have online instruction for a few hours in the morning and assignments in the afternoon.

My oldest loves school and isn’t happy missing it. They are both bummed about not seeing their friends and missing softball.

From what I hear the NJEA and Murphy will kick the can one more time to mid May, then close for the year.

• Like 1