Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

22 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

COVID-19 Update (as of 5/11/20 at 12:00 am):
• 543 additional positive cases of COVID-19
• 57,154 total cases statewide 
• 3,731 deaths statewide
• 231,704 patients tested negative to date

12am?  People are going to cheer that there are only 543 new positives. Wait until the next few days.  A lot of negative cases...I look at data from other countries and in some areas like the UAE over a million tests were given and only several thousand cases.  They’re taking it very seriously in wealthier countries.  

New page. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

12am?  People are going to cheer that there are only 543 new positives. Wait until the next few days.  A lot of negative cases...I look at data from other countries and in some areas like the UAE over a million tests were given and only several thousand cases.  They’re taking it very seriously in wealthier countries.  

New page. 

pretty much everyone is taking it more seriously than here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So i went out for a drive yesterday to curb some boredom.  Lots of traffic.  I also saw people "visiting" for mothers day in my neighborhood, where as i didnt see this on Easter.  There is some pretty crazy shit being circulated on the interweb, and i think that is playing a significant role in changing peoples minds on this thing.  

I dont think the stay at home order until June is going to be something most people are going to be willing to do.  I saw something about Bucks County where they were saying the local PD would do nothing to stop anybody from opening their business, and they would be relying on the PSP to take care of that.  So, i think if you read between the lines some, they were kinda saying, go ahead, open up, we wont be bothering you.  

Sadly, i dont think most people will be upholding social distancing or wearing a mask either.  This ride could get pretty bumpy.  

Im gonna be a mask wearing, staying away from other people, doing curbside delivery kinda guy for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

Im gonna be a mask wearing, staying away from other people, doing curbside delivery kinda guy for the foreseeable future.  

Yeah, same here. I keep wondering how “everyday” things go back to normal again. Like Trick-or-treating?  I get that it’s a great opportunity to wear a mask, but seems like a good way to spread the rona around all at the same time. 

one thing truly pissing me off about all of this is that the trash/recycling center won't take my damn recyclables. i had to start taking full trash bags to my garage a while ago since the shed was no longer big enough. 

then i'll prob have to make multiple trips with them when they do open. 

then i'll have to wait behind 20 boomers who will hand sort their recyclables in front of me, rather than doing it at home.

damn it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Benm said:

one thing truly pissing me off about all of this is that the trash/recycling center won't take my damn recyclables. i had to start taking full trash bags to my garage a while ago since the shed was no longer big enough. 

then i'll have to wait behind 20 boomers who will hand sort their recyclables in front of me, rather than doing it at home.

damn it.

Why won't they take them?

5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Why won't they take them?

'For the safety of our staff', which I get because the workers technically do 'handle' the recyclables (i put them in a big tote, they take the tote and place the contents with other recyclables). Fast food workers are more exposed than these workers would be though so I don't get it.

What they need to do is get some 20 or 30 yard dumpsters so people can just toss them in. it's getting out of control.

Edited by Benm

6 minutes ago, Benm said:

'For the safety of our staff', which I get because the workers technically do 'handle' the recyclables (i put them in a big tote, they take the tote and place the contents with other recyclables). Fast food workers are more exposed than these workers would be though so I don't get it.

What they need to do is get some 20 or 30 yard dumpsters so people can just toss them in. it's getting out of control.

Yeah, it should be self-sort and dispose to limit anybody being exposed to others. I'm glad recycling is still continuing here. We produce a lot more recycling than garbage. I could have garbage pick-up once a month and still have plenty of room in the can. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Schif said:

There has to be an underlying market for recyclables too. If no one wants to take it down the line that might be another reason they are hesitant to take them. 

true but i feel like there's always a market for metals, plastics not so much i wouldn't think. but you're right, i know china stopped taking a lot of US recyclables so you might be onto something.

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

We produce a lot more recycling than garbage

same. just to elaborate on my other post, people are required to sort them first. the workers take a bin of all of the same material and put it into a larger bin in back.

Edited by Benm

32 minutes ago, Benm said:

damn it.

Wow you can just throw your stuff in the dumpster at my hotel house. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

We produce a lot more recycling than garbage.

It's only recycling if there is a market for it. Unfortunately in certain situations the recyclables get tossed in a landfill because it's either much more expensive to recycle it or there is no recycling capacity at the time. 

I met a guy who worked for one of the big trash firms and I was shocked to learn that. 

• Like 2