Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

12 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Are dermatologists considered essential? 

I went to my dermatologist on Tuesday. My temperature was taken by a gloved, masked and eye protected nurse in full PPE garb before I went into office. A mask was required for entrance. Inside almost all waiting room chairs were removed and the remaining were at least 6' apart. The staff taking your insurance info was also garbed and protected.  The floors were marked "stand here" in front of registration, again with 6' separation.  In the treatment room the nurse was fully protected and never got close to me, only typing into a laptop. When the Dr. arrived he was likewise protected as well as gloved. We discussed his business in light of current situation.  He said they are slowly ramping up operations and were essentially shut down until very recently, only taking "emergencies" at the hospitals... 

I've had 18 squamous cell lesions removed from my arms and legs in the past 7 years.... WEAR SUNSCREEN.

I can also tell you the names of most of the nurses pets..:-) 

• Like 2

37 new cases between two days ago and yesterday in Lehigh county.  We have to average around 13 per day or less for 14 days to be below the 50 new cases per 100,000 population over a 14 day period to get to the yellow zone.  Our local state rep is getting a lot of backlash for voting with the governor to continue with the stay at home measures. I believe realtors can now conduct limited business in PA..out of the blue Michael McCreary who owns Lehigh Valley Grand Prix has launched a write in campaign for the upcoming primary.  He needs 300 votes by registered Republicans in a largely democratic district where a lot of people have already sent in their ballots.   

Otherwise the weather is grate...business is dead and it’s almost summertime when the livings easy   

31 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Wow... Jurassic World live in Wilkes Barre for November is cancelled. $$ refunded (which isn't the worst thing in the world since I dropped serious dough for front row).

Hella Mega Tour has been postponed until further notice. No refund yet, unless it is canceled. 

16 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

980 today. Ugh

im going with thats the Mothers Day effect.  Seems like people since havent been quite as vigilant or they are just sick of the whole damn thing.  i predict more numbers like that.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

980 today. Ugh

Dude don’t let it affect your mood it’s not in your control.  All you can do is keep yourself and your family safe. States nearby like Virginia and Maryland have had record numbers lately..availability of testing in PA is also going up with Rite Aids in philly now offering testing..as our great president said..if you test more people, cases will go up.   

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Can't help but think that the mixing of antibody tests as they become more widely available and viral tests is a big reason why numbers aren't falling faster, or on this day, rising.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/

PA has done an OK job I guess, but this aspect of handling the data is a major fuck-up as far as I'm concerned.  

For the reasons mentioned above and more I think we are mishandling the data across the board. I would think the more correct statistic to look at would be 

Cases/Tests

Cases/Tests per Capita

Fatalities/ (cases/tests)

Or a whole host of other ways to break this down and contextualize it. Of course the cases aren't going to be going down as testing ramps up. That's why looking at total cases as a monolithic number doesn't do anything. 

Example: 

You go out and are panning for gold in a stream. you find 10 ounces per day. Now you get a friend to help you out and the next day you find 15 ounces, then 20 ounces with a third guy and 22 ounces with a fourth guy. All this is saying is that more looking yields more results and it doesn't tell you how much gold is actually in the river. Now you start looking and realize that some of what you're doing is finding fools gold (false positives) and one of the guys you got to help you accidentally dropped his gold chain into the jar (mixing in antibody tests). 

1 hour ago, Schif said:

For the reasons mentioned above and more I think we are mishandling the data across the board. I would think the more correct statistic to look at would be 

Cases/Tests

Cases/Tests per Capita

When you say, "per capita", @Schif - I think of this clip from DJT dubbed by Sarah Cooper

https://www.tiktok.com/@whatchugotforme/video/6829339308646731014

2 hours ago, NMSKI said:

Can't help but think that the mixing of antibody tests as they become more widely available and viral tests is a big reason why numbers aren't falling faster, or on this day, rising.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/

PA has done an OK job I guess, but this aspect of handling the data is a major fuck-up as far as I'm concerned.  

Florida numbers are up

2 hours ago, Schif said:

Cases/Tests

Cases/Tests per Capita

Fatalities/ (cases/tests)

Or a whole host of other ways to break this down and contextualize it. Of course the cases aren't going to be going down as testing ramps up. That's why looking at total cases as a monolithic number doesn't do anything. 

Example: 

You go out and are panning for gold in a stream. you find 10 ounces per day. Now you get a friend to help you out and the next day you find 15 ounces, then 20 ounces with a third guy and 22 ounces with a fourth guy. All this is saying is that more looking yields more results and it doesn't tell you how much gold is actually in the river. Now you start looking and realize that some of what you're doing is finding fools gold (false positives) and one of the guys you got to help you accidentally dropped his gold chain into the jar (mixing in antibody tests). 

4BC7BBC8-B035-4EAE-A515-3C1300FFBF70.gif

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, skiincy said:

When you say, "per capita", @Schif - I think of this clip from DJT dubbed by Sarah Cooper

https://www.tiktok.com/@whatchugotforme/video/6829339308646731014

And when I hear "gold chain" I think of Trinidad James - All Gold Everything.... (careful, it has big N bombs and such so don't play it if that will offend you)

• Like 1