Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

2 hours ago, Zonked said:

We sent a survey out to the employees to gauge their readiness and only 6 people said they were eager and ready to return. 

Only 6?  i was home for a month and starting to climb the walls.  No way could i do a wfh deal.  i need to go walk around, change the scenery some.  

We had the two girls that do the financial stuff here working from home.  I never thought that was a good idea, and they proved it wasnt.  We didnt get bills out, the ones they did were messed up, and bills didnt get paid.  I get "hey your account is on hold for lack of payment" more than once.  

I think most people here were ready to get back to work, but 75% were already at home since christmas.  I think most were ready to come back, but at the same time, they were doing pretty good financially just sitting at home not working.  Some thought it would be a good idea to ride that out and then just come back to work.  Assholes.  

59 minutes ago, skiincy said:

How much higher could her electric bill be? I just compared my PECO and Water and it's slightly lower than last year. 

My water bill went up when i was home for staycation, but i was cleaning everything i could get my hands on outside.  Gas and elec didnt really go up.  

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

JFDan you said you hate your job and you were getting paid $1,000 a week to hangout at home...I don’t blame your co workers for wanting to ride it out.  

i figured out that i am not in love with my job, but i like having a job. Unemployment is not a job.  "riding it out".....as much as that sounds like a fun thing to do, its bad for our economy, and if you think your employer will think thats going to be acceptable when they need you to come back, you will probably be wrong.  i would imagine there will be some decent, qualified, skilled workers out of work soon, that would love to have a stable job.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i figured out that i am not in love with my job, but i like having a job. Unemployment is not a job.  "riding it out".....as much as that sounds like a fun thing to do, its bad for our economy, and if you think your employer will think thats going to be acceptable when they need you to come back, you will probably be wrong.  i would imagine there will be some decent, qualified, skilled workers out of work soon, that would love to have a stable job.  

I’ve been coming into work six days a week during this.  Still at work now.  It’s my escape from this. I don’t mind my job it’s the customers that can be annoying. Just installed this Memorial stone yesterday in Bensalem and the family is complaining. They said it’s nice but just not what they expected said the design top center of the saint the lines aren’t deep enough.  Cool story we’re paid in full.  

CDF84432-40A1-4AF9-9330-EC31BF27CBAF.jpeg

I'm surprised that 6 people want to return to the office.

I love WFH life. If I had kids, other people, or general chaos in my house - I think I would feel otherwise. It's peaceful and I'm able to get more work done at home.

When this all started I built some shelves, bought a desk, and made a proper office in my guest room. Having a dedicated office makes a huge difference in productivity and being able to separate home and work life. I try to go for one walk a day around lunch. And, any conference calls that I just listen to, I try to be outside as much as possible. It breaks up the monotony. 

desk-20200527.thumb.jpg.4064250ec57d0495e878f52c71fc5bdd.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, skiincy said:

I'm surprised that 6 people want to return to the office.

I love WFH life. If I had kids, other people, or general chaos in my house - I think I would feel otherwise. It's peaceful and I'm able to get more work done at home.

When this all started I built some shelves, bought a desk, and made a proper office in my guest room. Having a dedicated office makes a huge difference in productivity and being able to separate home and work life. I try to go for one walk a day around lunch. And, any conference calls that I just listen to, I try to be outside as much as possible. It breaks up the monotony. 

desk-20200527.thumb.jpg.4064250ec57d0495e878f52c71fc5bdd.jpg

I like the owl.  Girls and Toast are so decorative. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skiincy said:

it's all so neat and tidy lmao my wife would kill for my shit to look like that.

Edited by Benm

19 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’ve been coming into work six days a week during this.  Still at work now.  It’s my escape from this. I don’t mind my job it’s the customers that can be annoying. Just installed this Memorial stone yesterday in Bensalem and the family is complaining. They said it’s nice but just not what they expected said the design top center of the saint the lines aren’t deep enough.  Cool story we’re paid in full.  

CDF84432-40A1-4AF9-9330-EC31BF27CBAF.jpeg

Line depth seems like something that should be written out. 2mm, 3mm, 4mm etc?

I'm loving WFH.  The first few weeks were tough, but now I have a good routine.  I work fewer hours overall, but I still get the same amount done.  It's like I was wasting time at work walking around talking to people, etc 😂 

I do miss the social aspect, but it's a far better work/life balance.  Not that it was bad before 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

I'm loving WFH.  The first few weeks were tough, but now I have a good routine.  I work fewer hours overall, but I still get the same amount done.  It's like I was wasting time at work walking around talking to people, etc [emoji23] 
I do miss the social aspect, but it's a far better work/life balance.  Not that it was bad before [emoji2369]

Productivity goes through the roof when you take out a commute, getting ready etc....I don't think I could ever go into an office again.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Line depth seems like something that should be written out. 2mm, 3mm, 4mm etc?

It’s totally dependent on the design..for carvings like the corner roses and accompanying leaves the options are flat carved, shape carved and sculptured. The above is shape carved. Giving an average customer depth options for lines would complicate things. Now when we have like graphic designer or engineer types then we can get more specific.  

I'd prefer to work from home at least a few days a week but that probably won't happen once people are back to work.  Still going in once or twice a week, which is fine with me.  The company I work for is offering voluntary layoffs with severance packages based on years of service (to try and get rid of people who have been there a long time).  Not a bad deal if you have another job lined up...I'd end up with 18 weeks of pay + payment for unused vacation.  My friend would get close to a year (49 weeks), but hes not planning on taking it.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

I'd prefer to work from home at least a few days a week but that probably won't happen once people are back to work.  Still going in once or twice a week, which is fine with me.  The company I work for is offering voluntary layoffs with severance packages based on years of service (to try and get rid of people who have been there a long time).  Not a bad deal if you have another job lined up...I'd end up with 18 weeks of pay + payment for unused vacation.  My friend would get close to a year (49 weeks), but hes not planning on taking it.  

Is this the first time your employer has offered mandatory layoffs?  In this economy even getting a years pay for an older employee doesn’t seem worth it as it would be difficult to find a new job with comparable salary/benefits.  What I see happening is when the dust settles a lot of furloughed employees probably won’t be hired back..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Is this the first time your employer has offered mandatory layoffs?  In this economy even getting a years pay for an older employee doesn’t seem worth it as it would be difficult to find a new job with comparable salary/benefits.  What I see happening is when the dust settles a lot of furloughed employees probably won’t be hired back..

No, they did it before like 5 or 6 years ago, and also laid plenty of people off that had been there for a while (but did give them a decent severance package).  There is also a large amount of temp workers that I'm sure will be let  go.  When they did voluntary layoffs before, more people than expected took it and they had to let go a lot of temp workers, which wasn't expected.  Then people from corporate were sent to do warehouse jobs (I was making boxes for Amazon Kindles one day a week, in addition to my regular work)

You probably spend less money on clothes as well. I miss selling to customers face to face..

True. I just donated a few bags of clothes that I wore when I was working in an office. I'm now down to few pairs or business casual pants, shirts, blazers etc if / when I need to travel. Feels great having more room in the closet / less clutter.
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

With US passing 100k deaths the US with 5% of world population has 1/3 of covid-19 fatalities reported worldwide.

Yes, many countries suck at reporting real #’s but still eye opening

Americans aren’t obedient like some in other countries not surprising. What do you think total deaths by the end of the year will be???   I think 300,000-500,000