Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

So my youngest all of a sudden had a "spontaneous pneumothorax"(collapsed lung).  Apparently it is a common thing with young, tall, thin males.   It was a fun ER experience with the whole Covid situation and since he is technically an adult, the doctors would not only not speak to me, but I had to wait in my car for 3 hours.  He needs surgery and I am trying to talk him into getting it sooner rather then later.  But goddammit!!!!!!! way to have respiratory issues during a Covid pandemic.

Sending positive vibes your way Barb. Hope surgery goes well and his recovery time is minimal.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barb said:

So my youngest all of a sudden had a "spontaneous pneumothorax"(collapsed lung).  Apparently it is a common thing with young, tall, thin males.   It was a fun ER experience with the whole Covid situation and since he is technically an adult, the doctors would not only not speak to me, but I had to wait in my car for 3 hours.  He needs surgery and I am trying to talk him into getting it sooner rather then later.  But goddammit!!!!!!! way to have respiratory issues during a Covid pandemic.

Sorry to hear barb, best wishes for your son!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Barb said:

Remove the “blebs” and then fuse lung to chest cavity. Said he would be in hospital 4 days. For some reason he is concerned w scars. I told him I not a tattoo person by any stretch but he could get some cool tattoos over the scars if he was that grossed out by them.

There is no urgency to surgery but the blebs will continue to rupture until they are removed. He was singing loud n his car to the radio and that is what popped one..... crazy.

Ugh!  Sorry to hear.  Now I've got something else to worry about as my son is the definition of young, tall, thin male.

Just tell him...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Barb said:

scary stuff having to wait out in the car. hopefully he gets the surgery soon, sending prayers for a speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Barb said:

since he is technically an adult, the doctors would not only not speak to me, but I had to wait in my car for 3 hours. 

Also, prior to our son going away to college, we had the lawyer draw up a health care proxy for him listing us as the proxies, so that we could be informed of any issues to prevent this from happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Also, prior to our son going away to college, we had the lawyer draw up a health care proxy for him listing us as the proxies, so that we could be informed of any issues to prevent this from happening.

That is a great idea, I am going to look into it thank you!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

The second wave is occurring in some states way earlier than it really should.

Does this mean it will roll through to completion sooner or does it mean an inevitable and possibly avoidable third wave? 

12 minutes ago, Schif said:

Does this mean it will roll through to completion sooner or does it mean an inevitable and possibly avoidable third wave? 

I have no idea. I didn't expect places to open up and ease restrictions as early as they did so to see these trends now is not a good sign. I've been super busy with work lately so I haven't been able to read more into this, unfortunately. 

33 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

It didn’t initially hit many of these states as hard as northeastern states so they got complacent with social distancing and mask wearing.  Even when we are in green people in PA are going to have to remain vigilant or we will have a spike as well. 

24 minutes ago, Schif said:

There are going to be wave after wave after wave until there is a vaccine.  It’s only penetrated a very small percentage of the US population...at most 5%.  Look at today’s stock market.  It is free falling on fears that this is spreading faster than expected.  Plus almost 2 million new jobless claims last week.  The positive jobs report from last week that accelerated the markets was all smoke and mirrors. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

27 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I don't think it's the second wave. The first wave was never repressed to a reasonable level. It's just a resurgence of the first wave. But you have much more knowledge on this subject than I do so i will defer to your conclusion. I appreciate your professional insights to the Covid-19 discussion.

Edited by trackbiker
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

2 weeks following the massive non-socially-distant riots/protests isn't up yet.

The early protesters will just begin to show symptoms this week but have been spreading it to family and friends for days. Apparently some of the current spikes are attributed to Memorial Day weekend so that’s about the amount of lag time between exposure and confirmed cases.  There was the one instance where a Bucks county college student spread corona to over ten people at a party at the jersey store. It was confirmed through contact tracing. 

2 hours ago, toast21602 said:

I have no idea. I didn't expect places to open up and ease restrictions as early as they did so to see these trends now is not a good sign. I've been super busy with my lawn lately so I haven't been able to read more into this, unfortunately. 

FIFY

Hopefully people will see whats going on in other states, and make good decisions.  I just see so many people ready to jump back into bars and restaurants.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

FIFY

Hopefully people will see whats going on in other states, and make good decisions.  I just see so many people ready to jump back into bars and restaurants.  

I have zero interest in being inside a restaurant or bar. Even a bit skeptical about outdoor seating right now. I want to see how these first few weeks go. 

• Like 1