Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

1 minute ago, theprogram4 said:

A lot of people have been going to work for 3 months with zero problems, while others are scared to go back to work in July lol

in the words of boomers, “toughen up buttercup!”

Sucks that you can't work from home.  It's been nice....and safe.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

I've never even thought about wearing a mask while running.  Especially now as we now risk is low outdoors and passing someone while running/biking is such a short encounter.

Our office is reopening first week of August with WFH subject to supervisor approval.  A few weeks ago I said I'd go back middle of August after I see how the reopening has an affect on daily cases.  Granted, we're in a different situation than Texas/Arizona who really never had a spike to be begin with, but the lack of care by young adults is just staggering.  I haven't once thought about eating outside (let alone inside, come Friday).  I have a beer outside once, with two friends, and we were the only ones there.  These millennial/GenZ social butterflies just can't sit still, and that's what worries me most about returning to work and coming in contact with irresponsible 18-21 year olds.  It's not my coworkers I worry about, it's the students.  @toast21602?

Thanks for the tag. I'm teaching all of my courses online in the fall semester (for now), but I'll still be responsible for a group of students in various clinical settings in the hospital.  Not too sure how that will work, but it is part of the job so what are you gonna do...

Edited by toast21602

I never had a day out of the office through this and we've had 3 confirmed cases in the building (all on the production floor) across this time. No one in the building caught it from the infected people here as they did extensive contact tracing and testing. 

Anecdotal I know, but it's something to think about. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

A lot of people have been going to work for 3 months with zero problems, while others are scared to go back to work in July lol

in the words of boomers, “toughen up buttercup!”

Everybody has different levels of risk.  If you have the ability to work from home..go for it.  I’ve been in my office six days a week since ski season ended selling a shit ton of tombstones via phone email mail and even fax machine. Office manager scared of her own shadow..she just started seeing her step dad outdoors recently..she can work from home as long as she wants.  If you are working at a warehouse or fast food or something there’s no work from home option.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Lol at safe.  It’s been terrifying going to wawa everyday for the past few months.  “Get off my lawn you damn kids!”

WaWa is one of the worst places for social distancing. I’m just glad people are still eating their lunch on the garbage cans outside.  

Just now, theprogram4 said:

Lol at safe.  It’s been terrifying going to wawa everyday for the past few months.  “Get off my lawn you damn kids!”

My house is 100% safer than Wawa, or my office.  The only person other than my mom who has been in my house since Mar 1 has been @toast21602

I'm glad you're so hard.  I have a job that I can WFH.  Why would I rush back to the office?  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AtomicSkier said:

My house is 100% safer than Wawa, or my office.  The only person other than my mom who has been in my house since Mar 1 has been @toast21602

I'm glad you're so hard.  I have a job that I can WFH.  Why would I rush back to the office?  

Nothing about being hard, and a mix about showing respect to the people who put their lives at risk to help me and you out, as well as looking to start shit/drama.  It’s just funny to me watching wealthy people complain about going back to work after 3 months off, yet those same people were ok with grocery store employees putting their life at risk everyday.  I guess since they make minimum wage, they are disposable in some people’s eyes

also, I don’t understand why people like working from home so much.  The last thing I want to do while watching price is right or Steve wilkos is get harassed from work.  Did that for 2 months, and people wouldn’t leave me alone in my house smh

4 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Nothing about being hard, and a mix about showing respect to the people who put their lives at risk to help me and you out, as well as looking to start shit/drama.  It’s just funny to me watching wealthy people complain about going back to work after 3 months off, yet those same people were ok with grocery store employees putting their life at risk everyday.  I guess since they make minimum wage, they are disposable in some people’s eyes

also, I don’t understand why people like working from home so much.  The last thing I want to do while watching price is right or Steve wilkos is get harassed from work.  Did that for 2 months, and people wouldn’t leave me alone in my house smh

Most office workers who are working from home are not wealthy.  For many companies employees will work from home long term or permanently which will mean less office space will need to be leased.  At least three PASRs I know of WFH permanently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Most office workers who are working from home are not wealthy.  For many companies employees will work from home long term or permanently which will mean less office space will need to be leased.  At least three PASRs I know of WFH permanently. 

You are supposed to be arguing with me right now, not using logic and rational thought 

• Haha 2

While I appreciate your viewership of TPIR and Steve Wilkos I can 100% assure you that I have no time to turn on the TV during the day. I'm lucky if I have a moment to post here some days.

I love working from home for a ton of reasons. Others hate it. To each their own. It would be really hard to get me back into an office every day.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RidgeRacer said:

While I appreciate your viewership of TPIR and Steve Wilkos I can 100% assure you that I have no time to turn on the TV during the day. I'm lucky if I have a moment to post here some days.

I love working from home for a ton of reasons. Others hate it. To each their own. It would be really hard to get me back into an office every day.

Oh I’m def not coming at you.  You have self control I do not 

• Like 1

I feel as though I am helping keep our employees who run the plant safer by not bringing 100+ employees back and increasing the chances of something spreading. Making our employees WFH (those who can) is showing respect to those who have had to go into work the past 3 months. If I showed up to work sick and infected our production team, who would run the plant and make our products? We respect our production team so much we said here is everything that can help keep you safe, we are leaving the site to your teams only and limiting the exposure.

Also, I don't trust the cleanliness of my coworkers. They keep the office kitchen area so dirty...they are like children haha I enjoy working from home because it has kept employee relations down. I get tired of hearing "Bob breathes to loud , can HR talk to him about it? or "someone moved my lunchbox in the fridge, I'm really upset". It's a nice change to be able to focus on real work

Edited by Zonked
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Also, for those of us who have been working from home, it's not like we've just been on vacation for the past three months. A lot of people miss the social interaction they get in the office. A lot of people legitimately have an easier time doing their job from a dedicated off than from their house, for whatever reason. My job has been great about doing everything they can to help us be as efficient as possible while working from home. My internet connection is free, my manager ordered everyone on my team new secondary displays, I've been able to expense other miscellaneous electronics/desk supply type stuff, but it's still tough, especially with a toddler running around not really understanding what it means when I say I have to work now. I can't imagine households where both parents are working and also trying to be a homeschool teacher while also trying to cook three meals a day because your normal takeout spots are closed, all while keeping the house from turning into a garbage pit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

I read this interesting article about "disposable people" a while back and it opened my eyes to my ignorance and privilege.  

https://thebaffler.com/latest/disposable-people-algharbi

Every time my wife orders something on Amazon or food delivery the last couple months I give her shit about being part of the managerial class relying on disposable people.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

Also, for those of us who have been working from home, it's not like we've just been on vacation for the past three months. A lot of people miss the social interaction they get in the office. A lot of people legitimately have an easier time doing their job from a dedicated off than from their house, for whatever reason. My job has been great about doing everything they can to help us be as efficient as possible while working from home. My internet connection is free, my manager ordered everyone on my team new secondary displays, I've been able to expense other miscellaneous electronics/desk supply type stuff, but it's still tough, especially with a toddler running around not really understanding what it means when I say I have to work now. I can't imagine households where both parents are working and also trying to be a homeschool teacher while also trying to cook three meals a day because your normal takeout spots are closed, all while keeping the house from turning into a garbage pit.

A few observations....given that I have no distractions at home, it's great to get work done.  My counterpart has a 4 year old at home and his wife works for an accounting firm and has to bill a certain numbers of hours per week, so she actually has to work.  He's stuck trying to work while he has a 4 year old climbing on the back of his chair pulling his hair out.  We certainly have different opinions of WFH. 

It's also interesting to see how many IT people have (or, had) shitty setups at home.  I already had dual monitors on my desktop at home, great wireless, nice desk, nice chair, etc.  I had coworkers who were obviously working from their kitchen table and sitting in uncomfortable wooden chairs.  Some have since established better working environments. 

What I have noticed is not that I'm any less productive at home, but rather, how much time I wasted at work.  I'm getting the same amount of work done, but have time to go for a run in the middle of the day between meetings or cut the grass when I feel like it.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I read this interesting article about "disposable people" a while back and it opened my eyes to my ignorance and privilege.  

https://thebaffler.com/latest/disposable-people-algharbi

Every time my wife orders something on Amazon or food delivery the last couple months I give her shit about being part of the managerial class relying on disposable people.  

Good looks posting that.  Had I not been a douche bag today, PASR would not be having the WFH and class conversation we are currently having.  Chess not checkers 

Edited by theprogram4