Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

I think its all good conversation -  hearing different sides can make you a more well rounded thinker. I was only speaking about our company and how was respected our essential employees. Huge amount of respect for grocery store employees who dealt with craziness (and other essential jobs). 

24 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

A few observations....given that I have no distractions at home, it's great to get work done.  My counterpart has a 4 year old at home and his wife works for an accounting firm and has to bill a certain numbers of hours per week, so she actually has to work.  He's stuck trying to work while he has a 4 year old climbing on the back of his chair pulling his hair out.  We certainly have different opinions of WFH. 

It's also interesting to see how many IT people have (or, had) shitty setups at home.  I already had dual monitors on my desktop at home, great wireless, nice desk, nice chair, etc.  I had coworkers who were obviously working from their kitchen table and sitting in uncomfortable wooden chairs.  Some have since established better working environments. 

What I have noticed is not that I'm any less productive at home, but rather, how much time I wasted at work.  I'm getting the same amount of work done, but have time to go for a run in the middle of the day between meetings or cut the grass when I feel like it.

Yeah, there are very many different varieties to "Work from Home" right now. I had a pretty decent setup with a nice built-in desk in my den, a yoga ball that I use for a chair (which our office ergonomist told me was actually NOT good..), fast WiFi, and a dual monitor setup. However, we're in the middle of selling our house, and moving into the in-law's beach house until we find/close on a new house, so I have no dedicated workspace here. I'm currently sitting on an old couch in what is essentially the mud/beach room, next to a stroller and a shelf full of beach towels and whatnot because it's quiet, has steps that the kid can't get down on her own, and I still get decent wifi signal. We're gonna be here for a few months at least, so I need to get a proper desk set up again. Very glad/lucky I didn't have to deal with trying to educate a child throughout all of this, and that rose is not working full time right now.

5 minutes ago, Zonked said:

I think its all good conversation -  hearing different sides can make you a more well rounded thinker. I was only speaking about our company and how was respected our essential employees. Huge amount of respect for grocery store employees who dealt with craziness (and other essential jobs). 

Oh I know you are a good person, I just can’t help myself from posting like a douche at times to start drama.  Interesting thing is, almost all of my posts being a jackass are when I’m at work.  Outside of work my posts are pretty normal.  It would be an interesting case study to see what percentages of my jackass/angry posts are when I’m working, I’d say at least 75% of them

Edited by theprogram4

My wife went ballistic on some of her friends in the neighborhood who are teachers because she was talking about how frustrated we were that our kids' teachers weren't doing jack shit the last 2 months, and their response was that they couldn't do their job because they have their own kids at home too.  Those dumb bitches weren't doing my wife's job, why the hell should she be doing theirs?  

We are very glad its the summer and school is over.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

My wife went ballistic on some of her friends in the neighborhood who are teachers because she was talking about how frustrated we were that our kids' teachers weren't doing jack shit the last 2 months, and their response was that they couldn't do their job because they have their own kids at home too.  Those dumb bitches weren't doing my wife's job, why the hell should she be doing theirs?  

I have to disagree with you here.  I can tell you for a fact that teachers have been working their asses Off during this pandemic, I’ve witnessed it firsthand

Edited by theprogram4
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Oh I know you are a good person, I just can’t help myself from posting like a douche at times to start drama.  Interesting thing is, almost all of my posts being a jackass are when I’m at work.  Outside of work my posts are pretty normal.  It would be an interesting case study to see what percentages of my jackass/angry posts are when I’m working, I’d say at least 75% of them

You’ve mellowed out a lot TP4...

32 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Wow just wow.  My friend teaches at a ghetto school and barely had to do any teaching last few months.  Most of her students don’t have Internet.  She did send them goodie bags and everybody passed since there’s no summer school this year.  She’s also a Girl Scout troop leader and she masked up and handed out goodie bags to her troop.  One of the moms went ballistic on her because their NYC trip was cancelled. Take your kid to New York then. It’s mostly shutdown still at least the touristy stuff. 

11 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I have to disagree with you here.  I can tell you for a fact that teachers have been working their asses Off during this pandemic, I’ve witnessed it firsthand

Depends on the teachers @poconoceancity Might have some insight. The teachers I know are all bleeding hearts.  A lot of the Philly teachers donated their $1200 stimulus money to charity.  My friend gave $500 of it away. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

12 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Depends on the teachers @poconoceancity Might have some insight. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some if not most teachers were working their asses off, but my kids' teachers were definitely not working their asses off.  Plus the wife's friends who are teachers -  definitely not as well.  

Teachers are UNTOUCHABLE when it comes to criticizing them.  How dare we say anything bad about the heroes of society.  Fuck that.  Work hard, do your job and don't make excuses.  Teachers are incredibly important and mostly hard working, but I laugh when people assume they are all just awesome.  Plenty of lazy ones I've seen and my kids are still young.  Maybe I need to do private school!

8 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

It’s amazing the hate teachers get on this site.  Tougher job than pretty much anyone on here works, 

Hah if not for unions they’d be replaced by iPads.  Don’t get me wrong I believe the children are our future..you really have to teach them well and let them lead the way..show them all the beauty they possess in side..but not in a creepy way.  Give them a sense of pride to make it easier..Let the children’s laughter remind us how we used to be..but don’t hangout at playgrounds cause that’s weird 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zonked said:

Also, I don't trust the cleanliness of my coworkers. They keep the office kitchen area so dirty...they are like children haha 

Same here.  Although we do have a cleaning company once a week, we can manage to mess up the kitchen and the bathroom area pretty good.  I am the only one that cleans anything up.  We have a 20 something year old guy (like 27) as a managers assistant, that just moved out of mom and dads house, and you can tell he didnt do a god damn thing around their house in the way of cleaning up. I would also guarantee that his mom did his laundry for him as well.   He makes me crazy, and he is in the top tier of people i stay away from as far as the Covid-19 thing.  I think he is extremely irresponsible when it comes to the whole Covid thing, he is one of the people out testing the dining situation for everybody else.  

1 hour ago, Justo8484 said:

Also, for those of us who have been working from home, it's not like we've just been on vacation for the past three months. A lot of people miss the social interaction they get in the office. A lot of people legitimately have an easier time doing their job from a dedicated off than from their house, for whatever reason. My job has been great about doing everything they can to help us be as efficient as possible while working from home. My internet connection is free, my manager ordered everyone on my team new secondary displays, I've been able to expense other miscellaneous electronics/desk supply type stuff, but it's still tough, especially with a toddler running around not really understanding what it means when I say I have to work now. I can't imagine households where both parents are working and also trying to be a homeschool teacher while also trying to cook three meals a day because your normal takeout spots are closed, all while keeping the house from turning into a garbage pit.

When i was home for however long it was, if i could do something work related from home, it really helped me pass the time.  Time went remarkably slow when i didnt have anything to do......and when it was raining....gave new meaning to the word boring.   

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Hah if not for unions they’d be replaced by iPads.  

lol putting up with piece of shit kids and the douche bag parents of said kids is a very tough job, way tougher than your job, my job, or almost any other job worked here

And I’m not referring to NM in particular, as he is one of my favorite posters, but seeing the site’s top 2 nicest posters talk shit about people who help him is wild and quite a heel turn.  I’d expect something like that from me or you

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

It’s amazing the hate teachers get on this site.  Tougher job than pretty much anyone on here works, 

Tough job indeed, especially in inner cities, etc.  But just because its tough doesn't mean those that do it poorly shouldn't be criticized or replaced.

I'll stop hating on teachers now and let everyone go back to talking about COVID!  

4 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

lol putting up with piece of shit kids and the douche bag parents of said kids is a very tough job, way tougher than your job, my job, or almost any other job worked here

And I’m not referring to NM in particular, as he is one of my favorite posters, but seeing the site’s top 2 nicest posters talk shit about people who help him is wild and quite a heel turn.  I’d expect something like that from me or you

cm punk heel turn on Make a GIF

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Same here.  Although we do have a cleaning company once a week, we can manage to mess up the kitchen and the bathroom area pretty good.  I am the only one that cleans anything up.  We have a 20 something year old guy (like 27) as a managers assistant, that just moved out of mom and dads house, and you can tell he didnt do a god damn thing around their house in the way of cleaning up. I would also guarantee that his mom did his laundry for him as well.   He makes me crazy, and he is in the top tier of people i stay away from as far as the Covid-19 thing.  I think he is extremely irresponsible when it comes to the whole Covid thing, he is one of the people out testing the dining situation for everybody else.  

When i was home for however long it was, if i could do something work related from home, it really helped me pass the time.  Time went remarkably slow when i didnt have anything to do......and when it was raining....gave new meaning to the word boring.   

Yeah can only jerk off and smoke cigs so much. 

7 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

Tough job indeed, especially in inner cities, etc.  But just because its tough doesn't mean those that do it poorly shouldn't be criticized or replaced.

I'll stop hating on teachers now and let everyone go back to talking about COVID!  

Thanks I haven’t even checked out today’s data in like four hours.  

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

Correct. The last class that I taught was one the worst of my life because I had to transition the entire course online in 2 weeks before the start of class and then figure out how to coordinate 12hour clinical days into an online environment. Fucking terrible. At least I have the rest of summer to try and get myself ready for the fall semester courses. I'm sure it was harder for k-12 teachers. At least I was still able to manage my time well and enjoy my hobbies, but it came with waking up early and staying up late so I can spend time outside during the day when possible. Anyway, yes, teachers have been roughed up through this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

It is hard to evaluate teachers based on how online learning went during all of this. I know very few people who teach completely online in higher ed and in k-12 it really isn't a thing. I know for myself I didn't perform up to my standards that I hold for myself and I imagine that a lot of others feel the same way. Equity and access becomes a challenge as well, especially for k-12. I had some students who didn't have stable internet access or hospitable home environments that made learning on their end incredibly difficult. Just so many factors for teachers to be successful during all of this. Hopefully things improve and allow for in person instruction or at least planning for online teaching in the fall for k-12. Anyway, back to the botched response to COVID....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

It is hard to evaluate teachers based on how online learning went during all of this. I know very few people who teach completely online in higher ed and in k-12 it really isn't a thing. I know for myself I didn't perform up to my standards that I hold for myself and I imagine that a lot of others feel the same way. Equity and access becomes a challenge as well, especially for k-12. I had some students who didn't have stable internet access or hospitable home environments that made learning on their end incredibly difficult. Just so many factors for teachers to be successful during all of this. Hopefully things improve and allow for in person instruction or at least planning for online teaching in the fall for k-12. Anyway, back to the botched response to COVID....

My perception would be different I'm sure if the teachers that my kids and I interacted with had demonstrated effort and explained the shortcomings as you did above.  However, they were outwardly lazy and rude, and while I'm a very patient and kind person generally, I speak out against what I witnessed because I feel it is wrong (and it pissed me off).

I only speak badly of those that I witnessed first hand not giving a shit, while I applaud the hard work of those that did their best in a very hard time for all.  I wish my kids had those teachers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

My perception would be different I'm sure if the teachers that my kids and I interacted with had demonstrated effort and explained the shortcomings as you did above.  However, they were outwardly lazy and rude, and while I'm a very patient and kind person generally, I speak out against what I witnessed because I feel it is wrong (and it pissed me off).

I only speak badly of those that I witnessed first hand not giving a shit, while I applaud the hard work of those that did their best in a very hard time for all.  I wish my kids had those teachers.

I can imagine it was a bad experience if it wiped the permanent smile off of your face.

• Haha 1

Very interesting topic on the WFH... and very timely.   I manage a Production Facility, so I've been in the building everyday, but the Call Center part of the business has predominately sent everyone home.  The management team for the Call Center rotate through every few weeks to be in the building and manage their small remaining onsite teams.  it can get frustrating seeing everyone else working from home, I feel management should set the example and be in the building and note most did not start 'WFH' until the weather got nice.. ???  :) 

Personally I'm struggling because I recently gained oversight of 4 other facilities across the country and I feel I can still get too caught up with issues in my 'Home' site.  However, I feel I would be a hypocrite if I start working from home a day a week to focus on giving attention to my other sites.... Covid-problems

I will add that I personally am glad that I had the ability to go to work during the major lock-down as my life during the week did not change much.. we've only had 4 positive tests in the building but nothing passed inside the facility...

• Like 3