Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

40 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

It is crazy to me that the federal government has pretty much given up on this and testing still continues to be an issue in many states.

Trumpster also wants to stop federal funding for testing as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/25/us-coronavirus-testing-sites-federal-support-cut-officials-alarm

26 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Like the stable genius said to his cult last weekend, "If you stop testing the numbers will go down."

Somehow what he doesn't get is that the hospitalizations and deaths won't go down whether you test or not. He moved the convention from NC to FL because NC was going to make them follow safety protocols. FL won't and there will be very little mask wearing. Hey, you can't fix stupid. So I say pack 'em in and have more rallies. That way by November there will be fewer tRump voters.

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

It is crazy to me that the federal government has pretty much given up on this and testing still continues to be an issue in many states.

The federal government plans on closing many of their testing sites and leaving it completely to the states. We need more testing so those infected can quarentine and not infect more. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Devil's advocate for a second here. The concept behind the quarantine and shutdown was to flatten the curve. This seemed to be effective. No amount of mitigation will eliminate this disease. Wouldn't a regional, rather than sweeping federal approach therefore be more effective in keeping the curve flat since we know we cannot get it down to zero while maintaining not only economic but quality of life factors? 

That article cited the shutdown of 13 sites across the country, 4 of which were in the currently hard hit areas of Texas. I would argue that due to red tape and bureaucracy, the state and local governments are more nimble at locating need and providing necessary services. Perhaps federal funding should be a part of this but operationally I would think it would be easier to have cities and counties take care of themselves. 

Edited by Schif

8 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna 100% disagree with you on this one. Management at my job has, in my opinion, done an amazing job of setting the example that you can be (and are still expected to be) productive while working from home. If your job can reasonably easily be done remotely right now, why risk yourself, your family, and your coworkers' health by going into the office just to "set an example". Seems irresponsible to me and I'm glad I work somewhere that management recognizes this and doesn't expect us to go into an office before we feel comfortable with it under the tired guise of people being more productive under the watchful eye of management.

I think my point was somewhat missed.  If you manage a team and some of your staff has to stay on site for regulatory reasons,, don't you feel the management should have to be there too?

I'm all for people having the ability to work from home, but management should not get special treatment in the situation... And set the example 

11 minutes ago, pcklein31 said:

I think my point was somewhat missed.  If you manage a team and some of your staff has to stay on site for regulatory reasons,, don't you feel the management should have to be there too?

I'm all for people having the ability to work from home, but management should not get special treatment in the situation... And set the example 

I will add .. it is fun to hear calls from outside my area where the manager stops the call to adjust their position on their deck because the sun is too bright   I'm sure this goes over pretty with the on site staff 😁

1 hour ago, pcklein31 said:

They’d probably appreciate you working from home and not breathing down their necks.  It’s not about setting an example, you’re the boss you do what you want.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

13 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

They’d probably appreciate you working from home and not breathing down their necks.  It’s not about setting an example, you’re the boss you do what you want.  

Maybe.. I guess I always think ‘don’t make your employees do something I won’t do myself’...  who knows? Unique times and we are all learning and adjusting

2 hours ago, pcklein31 said:

Maybe.. I guess I always think ‘don’t make your employees do something I won’t do myself’...  who knows? Unique times and we are all learning and adjusting

The people I manage that have been on site a few days a week to maintain equipement couldn't be happier that I'm at home.  I, too, take the approach of not asking them to do anything I wouldn't, and when they ask for help on field issues, I'm right there helping them.  But, otherwise, they know I can work from home, and couldn't care less that I am.  I don't have anything to prove to them, nor do they to me.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

98075999_10204769338891034_6808268791957422080_n.jpg.0459ec80538679e47bd5f57ec7f92e51.jpg

The 1918-1920 flu pandemic came in three major waves. After the first wave in the US, the virus subsided, and Americans were restless to have businesses reopened and for social life to resume. There was a growing movement to stop wearing masks, which had become ubiquitous - so much so that The Anti-Mask League of 1919 was formed. These were protests from those who thought the public health ordinance violated their liberty.

The virus came back with a vengeance in the fall and was much deadlier than the first wave, eventually killing more than 675,000 Americans and killing around 100 million of the 500 million it infected worldwide before it was over. This was before mass vaccination, before the electron microscope; this is the tragedy of herd immunity and stubborn ignorance.

Viruses aren't political; they don't care about your theories or speculations or projections. They're unthinking parasites only wanting to replicate and use your body as a host.

Wear a mask.

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

20+ person line to get into the barber shop in town around 7am this morning. At least everyone was 6 feet apart and wearing masks. 

Me yesterday; 5 in line the 6th on the chair. Everyone wearing masks and complete sanitation of scissors, combs, clippers, brushes, and chair in between cuts. When next person in line got up to sit on barber chair, his empty seat was sanitized and another client was allowed to come inside from an outside seating area. Also had to sign a waiver before getting the cut.

P.S. Probably the worst cut in my life! She only knew how to make one cut even after asking how you want it cut.... Oh well, my head's cooler.....

My regular barber has her shop set up in a nursing home, and I would have looked like a gorilla before she can open up...

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

20+ person line to get into the barber shop in town around 7am this morning. At least everyone was 6 feet apart and wearing masks. 

Shit they should make an appointment which reminds me I need to.  I left a message at hair salon I go to the other day and no call back. 

1 hour ago, rummy said:

Me yesterday; 5 in line the 6th on the chair. Everyone wearing masks and complete sanitation of scissors, combs, clippers, brushes, and chair in between cuts. When next person in line got up to sit on barber chair, his empty seat was sanitized and another client was allowed to come inside from an outside seating area. Also had to sign a waiver before getting the cut.

P.S. Probably the worst cut in my life! She only knew how to make one cut even after asking how you want it cut.... Oh well, my head's cooler.....

My regular barber has her shop set up in a nursing home, and I would have looked like a gorilla before she can open up...

I’d feel bad to cheat on regular haircutter.