Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

On 6/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, toast21602 said:

The EU has officially banned US citizens from traveling there for now. I wish we were in the same position as them right now. 

It's a recommendation, the EU doesn't have authority over borders that's still left up to the individual members. So UK will probably still let you in but France no.  

As a complete aside while I get the focus on numbers,  in isolation the single data point is kind of useless in terms of mitigation. 

Numbers had to go up when things opened, thats actually how it's supposed to work. Combine that number with hospitizations and deaths and now your getting somewhere. What you seeing now is actually I think from a singular dumb humans assumption that this would act similarly over different areas and within different groups. 

Western Pa never really got the first wave, if UMPC is to be believed their numbers were non existenent when sepa was blowing up.  Texas too was extremely quiet while the North East was blowing up.  Additionally your seeing alot of spread among younger groups while initially it trended older. The later seems to be most likely an aberration in terms of who was being tested but certainly also because young people were locked down wereas old people were locked down but by necessity had more interactions with other people.  

The one size fits all solutions at first are understandable, we have no idea what the scope of the actual problem is and no time to figure it out.  Yet now we are beyond that and it blows my mind that we are still in complete lock down vs fully open sort of mindset.  

The virus didn't and will not move through the country uniformly, our policies and mitigation efforts need to reflect the reality of the situation. Few people are coming in and out of say west Texas as NYC so to assume when NYC has passed the first wave tx is safe is really laughable. Same with the way its moving through various age groups though again in the early stages we were only testing those that were the most in danger who tend to be older. 

If you want to do this right we have to move beyond a simple cases up vs down and actually understand what the data is telling us.  Respond appropriately to potential hot spots and developing areas of concern.  Blanket do x or y is frankly useless,  all the bs virtue signaling in the world didn't stop people from lining up at Hershey Park today because the assumption your operating under ignores basic facts about how humans work and you can bitch all day but it isnt going to change that. 

This screams for a federal unified comprehensive approach but regardless of your politics i think its plain to see we don't have that.  Even as a so called liberal I can't say I believe we'd be in the same place if g dubbs was in office or even Ronnie raygun. Go back to the trump election thread and there were a shit ton of voices saying this is going to cost you and shit ton more that said it won't hopefully now you can see why a basic level of competency and leadership is useful in a president. 

Even bigger is how this connects to other things, blm has an entirely separate agenda but if you can't see how these two things connect your eternally bound to mindless flalling about that frankly accomplishes very little.  

August 1 the economics of this really come into play and further down the line the societal impacts which are going to be far far larger.  If we can't even see how it all connects we trap ourselves in a place we a solution is impossible. 

States, cities businesses need guidance that relates directly to the particular situation on the ground not blanket policies.  Tx had no business locking down when nyc was because tx didn't have the numbers yet and now when you'd really like to use the lockdown tool in TX it's exponentially harder. Rona bleaters do not fundamentally understand humans and you can scream all you want but it's not going to get you anywhere. All the bs about masks and do you think one person who was anti mask converted ? No you just pushed them further into their whack job beliefs.

Gov wolf is in an impossible position but they had better start adapting what it is they are doing to whats actually occurring or you risk this getting totally out of control because what nobody seems to remember is you need the buy in of the people.  

Fwiw I wear my mask and have been socially distant for months,  nobody in my group has had rona or has spread rona. I'm not a denier what I'm saying is the way this is being handled is completely retarded and until that changes were fucked big time...... the rebound from this,  the ramifications will make rona look like a walk in the park. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

It's a recommendation, the EU doesn't have authority over borders that's still left up to the individual members. So UK will probably still let you in but France no.  

As a complete aside while I get the focus on numbers,  in isolation the single data point is kind of useless in terms of mitigation. 

Numbers had to go up when things opened, thats actually how it's supposed to work. Combine that number with hospitizations and deaths and now your getting somewhere. What you seeing now is actually I think from a singular dumb humans assumption that this would act similarly over different areas and within different groups. 

Western Pa never really got the first wave, if UMPC is to be believed their numbers were non existenent when sepa was blowing up.  Texas too was extremely quiet while the North East was blowing up.  Additionally your seeing alot of spread among younger groups while initially it trended older. The later seems to be most likely an aberration in terms of who was being tested but certainly also because young people were locked down wereas old people were locked down but by necessity had more interactions with other people.  

The one size fits all solutions at first are understandable, we have no idea what the scope of the actual problem is and no time to figure it out.  Yet now we are beyond that and it blows my mind that we are still in complete lock down vs fully open sort of mindset.  

The virus didn't and will not move through the country uniformly, our policies and mitigation efforts need to reflect the reality of the situation. Few people are coming in and out of say west Texas as NYC so to assume when NYC has passed the first wave tx is safe is really laughable. Same with the way its moving through various age groups though again in the early stages we were only testing those that were the most in danger who tend to be older. 

If you want to do this right we have to move beyond a simple cases up vs down and actually understand what the data is telling us.  Respond appropriately to potential hot spots and developing areas of concern.  Blanket do x or y is frankly useless,  all the bs virtue signaling in the world didn't stop people from lining up at Hershey Park today because the assumption your operating under ignores basic facts about how humans work and you can bitch all day but it isnt going to change that. 

This screams for a federal unified comprehensive approach but regardless of your politics i think its plain to see we don't have that.  Even as a so called liberal I can't say I believe we'd be in the same place if g dubbs was in office or even Ronnie raygun. Go back to the trump election thread and there were a shit ton of voices saying this is going to cost you and shit ton more that said it won't hopefully now you can see why a basic level of competency and leadership is useful in a president. 

Even bigger is how this connects to other things, blm has an entirely separate agenda but if you can't see how these two things connect your eternally bound to mindless flalling about that frankly accomplishes very little.  

August 1 the economics of this really come into play and further down the line the societal impacts which are going to be far far larger.  If we can't even see how it all connects we trap ourselves in a place we a solution is impossible. 

States, cities businesses need guidance that relates directly to the particular situation on the ground not blanket policies.  Tx had no business locking down when nyc was because tx didn't have the numbers yet and now when you'd really like to use the lockdown tool in TX it's exponentially harder. Rona bleaters do not fundamentally understand humans and you can scream all you want but it's not going to get you anywhere. All the bs about masks and do you think one person who was anti mask converted ? No you just pushed them further into their whack job beliefs.

Gov wolf is in an impossible position but they had better start adapting what it is they are doing to whats actually occurring or you risk this getting totally out of control because what nobody seems to remember is you need the buy in of the people.  

Fwiw I wear my mask and have been socially distant for months,  nobody in my group has had rona or has spread rona. I'm not a denier what I'm saying is the way this is being handled is completely retarded and until that changes were fucked big time...... the rebound from this,  the ramifications will make rona look like a walk in the park. 

Yup. Let’s bike soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Masks required outside where social distancing not possible and everywhere inside. Really no different than before for most of us.  

Poorly executed joke on my part. 

*Insert silly Borat mankini picture here* 

2 hours ago, toast21602 said:

All the anti mask, stomping on my freedoms, impairing gods great respiratory system people are going to shit bricks all over the interwebs. 

It is funny watching people freak out acting like every time they open their front door and step outside they need to put a mask on. I guess they just read the headline and it fits their anti mask agenda so they run with it instead of reading the details in the article. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Up or down today? I'm guessing 700s. Hopefully not...but the trend sucks right now.

Up and 667...you can stop being optimistic...I actually had a dream that a family came in and was refusing to wear masks outside so I made them leave. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Up and 667...you can stop being optimistic...I actually had a dream that a family came in and was refusing to wear masks outside so I made them leave. 

That is probably more like reality than a dream, sooner than later.