Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

Just now, RidgeRacer said:

719 is official. Still high but down 3 straight days now.

In Israel they almost eliminated Covid-19 were down to like 20 daily cases for a country with size and population of New Jersey and now after reopening up to 1500 daily cases many of them traced to schools.  This disease is nicknamed the honey badger virus it is fierce and difficult to contain. 

10 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

16 new cases in Lehigh county.  Not bad

161 - PHILADELPHIA
158 - ALLEGHENY
38 - LANCASTER
36 - BUCKS
31 - MONTGOMERY
26 - CHESTER
24 - BERKS
22 - YORK
21 - WESTMORELAND
20 - DELAWARE
16 - LEHIGH

2 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

So now gloves are bad even if you take them off properly?

no, not at all.  Most people go put the gloves on, go touch a whole bunch of stuff, and think they have protected themselves.  Then when they are done touching everything they just bought, and grabbing their car keys, and then the car door, and while they are at it, the steering wheel, and then they go take the gloves off, but they take them off like they are a pair of ski gloves.  I watched a video of some lady showing how to dispose of the gloves properly (in a trash can) because they were all over the parking lot, and she clearly didnt know how to take them off, since she touched her skin with a gloved hand, trying to take the other glove off.  Really it just makes people feel like they are protecting themselves, but if they really thought about it, they might not want to reach in their wallet to grab the credit card, with the gloves on they just touched everything with.  If something was contaminated, then they just contaminated the wallet and CC.  

• Like 1

Masks now required at daycares for children over age 2 in PA. In Texas something like 800 daycare workers and 400 kids in daycares have been infected.  Big divide over reopening schools.  Republicans want them reopened and democrats do not.  My friend who teaches at Philadelphia school district said many parents won’t send students back.  Inner city people are more cautious of the coronavirus as it has impacted their communities more than the suburbs.  

I try to do the clean hand/dirty hand and clean pocket/dirty pocket. I put any charge cards and cash I will need in my dirty pocket and keep my keys in the clean pocket. Soaked some baby wipes in Lysol and bring one in the store in case the store doesn’t have one when entering. Bought a UV sanitizer for when I get home.

Grandkids are back at daycare, so have to quarantine from them. :-(

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

If something was contaminated, then they just contaminated the wallet and CC.  

along the same vein, i think it's funny that people who are so panicked about everything still order takeout with some gigantic trust in where it's coming from. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone run a card with no gloves at a register (how many have they touched?). Ok, maybe they sanitized hands after, but probably not between the time they swiped the card and touched the terminal. It'd need like 4 sanitizations between one transaction (handing card, touching terminal, returning card, handing over goods. Then, they hand you a package / box / bag after touching the terminal, cards all day or cash register keys. Not to mention people are putting their trust in a number of people in the back who truly may or may not give a shit.

It's just as risky as everything else but it's all totally cool and encouraged. I don't understand it. edit: ok not as risky as a packed bar but people are like 'oh wow how did i get this ive been so careful', you don't know if bob from the pizza shop was at the bar 3 days ago and isn't showing signs. 

Edited by Benm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

no, not at all.  Most people go put the gloves on, go touch a whole bunch of stuff, and think they have protected themselves.  Then when they are done touching everything they just bought, and grabbing their car keys, and then the car door, and while they are at it, the steering wheel, and then they go take the gloves off, but they take them off like they are a pair of ski gloves.  I watched a video of some lady showing how to dispose of the gloves properly (in a trash can) because they were all over the parking lot, and she clearly didnt know how to take them off, since she touched her skin with a gloved hand, trying to take the other glove off.  Really it just makes people feel like they are protecting themselves, but if they really thought about it, they might not want to reach in their wallet to grab the credit card, with the gloves on they just touched everything with.  If something was contaminated, then they just contaminated the wallet and CC.  

Ah gotcha.  I’ve been good about taking them off properly and putting them in a trash can before getting in the car.  But you make a good point, I touched my wallet in the store with the gloves on.  I’ve been pretty good with keeping Lysol wipes in the car, I might need to stick with that route 

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Masks now required at daycares for children over age 2 in PA. In Texas something like 800 daycare workers and 400 kids in daycares have been infected.  Big divide over reopening schools.  Republicans want them reopened and democrats do not.  My friend who teaches at Philadelphia school district said many parents won’t send students back.  Inner city people are more cautious of the coronavirus as it has impacted their communities more than the suburbs.  

It's required, but the kids don't wear their masks all day...if they think a 2 year old is going to wear a mask for 8 or 10 hours and kids aren't going to play with them or rip them off, they're mistaken.  My daughter just went back on Tuesday.  Temperature, wellness check, and hand washing is required for the kids to enter the building..no parents are allowed inside.  They've always been pretty good about sanitizing anyway, but it's more intense now.  Only a few kids can play in the outside play area at a time...then everything is sanitized and another group can come out (each age group has their own playground area anyway).  She's in a class of 6 anyway since she's considered an older toddler, but if any illness were to hit the day care, I'm sure it'd spread pretty quick.  If we go back to the yellow phase, we'll probably keep her home again.  

6 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

It's required, but the kids don't wear their masks all day...if they think a 2 year old is going to wear a mask for 8 or 10 hours and kids aren't going to play with them or rip them off, they're mistaken.  My daughter just went back on Tuesday.  Temperature, wellness check, and hand washing is required for the kids to enter the building..no parents are allowed inside.  They've always been pretty good about sanitizing anyway, but it's more intense now.  Only a few kids can play in the outside play area at a time...then everything is sanitized and another group can come out (each age group has their own playground area anyway).  She's in a class of 6 anyway since she's considered an older toddler, but if any illness were to hit the day care, I'm sure it'd spread pretty quick.  If we go back to the yellow phase, we'll probably keep her home again.  

All the same things for my delivery guys kids dance classes. His kids had dance classes on Zoom before.  He said the only way he can get his three year old to wear a mask is if he lets him watch YouTube videos. Probably stuff like this. 

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Do all y’all think this virus came from a lab in China???   

That's an ambiguous question. 
My opinion, FWIW, is that it came from the Wuhan lab, but it wasn't manufactured there for bio-warfare.
The lab has a history of poor handling practices and I believe the virus was being studied there, with the chance of it being modified for research.
Poor handling procedures allowed it to escape to the wet market.

Schools everywhere are planning to reopen with a hybrid system in place. Kids go 1-2 days and staff goes in 2-4 days. The other days will be virtual. My school is looking at having one group of students coming from 8-12 M/T and the other group coming from 8-12 R/F. Everyone out of the building at noon each day for a deep cleaning and nobody other than custodians in the building on Wednesday’s for an ever deeper cleaning. Hopefully we can make it to thanksgiving on that schedule and then go totally virtual until the new year.

39 minutes ago, indiggio said:

My opinion, FWIW, is that it came from the Wuhan lab, but it wasn't manufactured there for bio-warfare.
The lab has a history of poor handling practices and I believe the virus was being studied there, with the chance of it being modified for research.

I agree so calling it the Wuhan Flu is not racist right?

35 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

Schools everywhere are planning to reopen with a hybrid system in place. Kids go 1-2 days and staff goes in 2-4 days. The other days will be virtual. My school is looking at having one group of students coming from 8-12 M/T and the other group coming from 8-12 R/F. Everyone out of the building at noon each day for a deep cleaning and nobody other than custodians in the building on Wednesday’s for an ever deeper cleaning. Hopefully we can make it to thanksgiving on that schedule and then go totally virtual until the new year.

Will you be comfortable in a classroom setting?  Seems like your district has things organized way better than the ones around here with respect to a plan for the fall.  Also will there be school sports?

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

lol

25 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

lol

Not sure what part of that is lol. No one truly knows. 

I'd like to ask, do you think it at least originated in China? And if so, Wuhan? If neither, where do you think it started?