Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

20 minutes ago, Benm said:

Not sure what part of that is lol. No one truly knows. 

I'd like to ask, do you think it at least originated in China? And if so, Wuhan? If neither, where do you think it started?

100% it came from somewhere in or around China based on tracing that has been done and likely that it was transmitted bat-human or bat-(other animal)-human. If it was plausible that it originated in a lab, then it would be reported on by legitimate peer-reviewed scientific journals. At this point there is nothing that points to that other than conspiracy theories.

Some interesting reads here and in the cited references:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/05/scientists-exactly-zero-evidence-covid-19-came-lab

19 minutes ago, Schif said:

The beauty of this is that we likely won't find out the actual answer to where it came from. If we ever do it will be decades down the road. China doesn't play around with information. 

I don't know if beauty is the best word choice. I'd like to know sooner than later, but I know it took 10+ years for SARS and not nearly as long for ebola tracing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Benm said:

fair enough. I did read those peer reviews.

your thoughts on whether it was through ingestion (wet market) vs bite/scratch/skin?

Not sure on that and I honestly haven't read anything about it either (other than briefly discussed in some publications). Many people in that region live in less than sanitary environments and culturally they eat almost anything so I guess both could be possible? That might be something that we never truly know.

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, toast21602 said:

100% it came from somewhere in or around China based on tracing that has been done and likely that it was transmitted bat-human or bat-(other animal)-human. If it was plausible that it originated in a lab, then it would be reported on by legitimate peer-reviewed scientific journals. At this point there is nothing that points to that other than conspiracy theories.

Some interesting reads here and in the cited references:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/05/scientists-exactly-zero-evidence-covid-19-came-lab

I don't know if beauty is the best word choice. I'd like to know sooner than later, but I know it took 10+ years for SARS and not nearly as long for ebola tracing. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01541-z

5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

That just says that it is a possibility. Anything is a possibility. Like I said before, at this point there is nothing that points to that other than conspiracy theories. 

Right and it's still only a possibility that it came from a bat or a pangolin or some other mammal, so they too are all just theories at this point, no more proven than whether it came from the lab or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Right and it's still only a possibility that it came from a bat or a pangolin or some other mammal, so they too are all just theories at this point, no more proven than whether it came from the lab or not.

Ok. Maybe it came from a space turd dropped by an alien who was listening to U2.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Ok. Maybe it came from a space turd dropped by an alien who was listening to U2.

Hmmm... U2?  I would think that the first cases would have been somewhere in Ireland then.

But I guess the alien need not have been listening to them in person.

Edited by indiggio
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

So if aliens are listening to U2 I could make the argument that U2 is the greatest rock band in the history of the universe, as opposed to just being the greatest in the history of mankind here on earth?

Wouldn't that require them to actually be good?

Wouldn't that require them to actually be good?

I think you're on to something actually with this whole alien thing. There are theories out there that the alien was listening to Taylor Swift which caused it to develop a case of alien diarrhea. The alien diarrhea made its way through the atmosphere and into Wuhan and subsequently picked up by the lab to study. Apparently Taylor knows this and that's how the "Look what you made me do" line is about.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RidgeRacer said:

I think you're on to something actually with this whole alien thing. There are theories out there that the alien was listening to Taylor Swift which caused it to develop a case of alien diarrhea. The alien diarrhea made its way through the atmosphere and into Wuhan and subsequently picked up by the lab to study. Apparently Taylor knows this and that's how the "Look what you made me do" line is about.

source?

6 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

How many tests? Any word on that?

i've still been unable to find somethign that has daily tests aside from the PA site but it's a week prior. but give me a bit, i might be able to find out

edit -- 

this was the difference in number of negative tests from today vs yesterday - 17608
that 1009 number includes 'probable' so i dont know if it would be accurate to include it as actual 'tests'.

Edited by Benm

18 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Will you be comfortable in a classroom setting?  Seems like your district has things organized way better than the ones around here with respect to a plan for the fall.  Also will there be school sports?

I’m comfortable in my classroom with fewer than 10 students if we are all wearing masks. I’m pretty sure there won’t be sports in September.

1 hour ago, Benm said:

i've still been unable to find somethign that has daily tests aside from the PA site but it's a week prior. but give me a bit, i might be able to find out

edit -- 

this was the difference in number of negative tests from today vs yesterday - 17608
that 1009 number includes 'probable' so i dont know if it would be accurate to include it as actual 'tests'.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/pennsylvania

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

It's official now.

Wow you should see the comments on the morning call Facebook. A lot of people don’t trust the numbers or are blaming protesters. I understand people’s mistrust of the government and the media but they should listen to doctors and scientists..especially Dr. Fauci. 

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow you should see the comments on the morning call Facebook. A lot of people don’t trust the numbers or are blaming protesters. I understand people’s mistrust of the government and the media but they should listen to doctors and scientists..especially Dr. Fauci. 

The protesters/rioters are the main reason numbers are increasing