Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

What do you guys think about the safety level of blue mountain bike park?  I'm not much of a biker, though I am slowly getting into it.  But just looking for things to do.

I read something on their website about maintaining distance on the downhill to stay out of other riders sweat trail, or something like that, and that kind of freaked me out.

When I’m on a walking path and somebody runs by me I’m sure I get a tiny tiny amount of their sweat trail.  In my opinion it seems pretty safe...everybody has their own personal levels of caution and risk. I draw the line currently at indoor bars and dining along with having customers in my small office....I also require customers to wear masks if I’m outside with them because they really suck at keeping distance. 

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Is Boss’s daughter and accountant lady’s other son in quarentine?  How long did test results take?  

All three are in quarantine.  Obviously my boss had contact with her, so he felt its best he stay home.  We took the test Friday,  i got my results last night, i assume all of the results were in last night as well, so, from what i have heard, i think thats pretty good turn around, considering it was basically over a weekend. 

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

Good news.

What compelled you to get a test?

A good friend and client of mine just tested positive.

We had 2 employees on the same crew call out sick on the same day, with the same symptoms.  we sent them to get tested, and it took forever.  in fact, longer than 2 weeks.  so my boss went and hired this company to handle our testing.  this was a "test run".  

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

What do you guys think about the safety level of blue mountain bike park?  I'm not much of a biker, though I am slowly getting into it.  But just looking for things to do.

I read something on their website about maintaining distance on the downhill to stay out of other riders sweat trail, or something like that, and that kind of freaked me out.

Probably safe with the exception of touching the lift bars and such. I can't imagine they are wiped down after somebody rides up. I haven't ridden downhill there in two years because I sold my bike, but if you are just getting into biking, Blue might not be the best place to go unless you have the proper biker and gear. 

Wonder what the numbers would be if we had legitimate, and readily available testing back in March at the beginning of everything. Would we have seen these recent “spikes” or would we have had an onslaught of cases in late March/ early April. 

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

We're walking further into the woods.

67,000 new cases and 1100 new deaths...a few weeks ago we were at only 30,000 new cases a day and 500 deaths..then deaths stays around that amount and numbers of cases rose.  

Over 100 new cases today in Floridumb, Aricorona, Calivirus and Texsick  

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Wonder what the numbers would be if we had legitimate, and readily available testing back in March at the beginning of everything. Would we have seen these recent “spikes” or would we have had an onslaught of cases in late March/ early April. 

Likely would have been about triple the reported cases and the drop off in new cases between the two surges would look more pronounced. 

7 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Does your good friend know how they got coronavirus and how sick is he/she?

No - he's a pilot, but he claims that is actually pretty safe right now.  Like 5% of regular airline traffic, and strick airline rules about distancing etc...

So most likely some where in an airport during work, but he can't remember being close to anyone for more than 5 minutes.

He feels like utter shit.  Flu x 10 is how he described it. And he's a week in, so we are hoping the respiratory stuff doesn't show up next.

really scary shit.

7 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

All three are in quarantine.  Obviously my boss had contact with her, so he felt its best he stay home.  We took the test Friday,  i got my results last night, i assume all of the results were in last night as well, so, from what i have heard, i think thats pretty good turn around, considering it was basically over a weekend. 

We had 2 employees on the same crew call out sick on the same day, with the same symptoms.  we sent them to get tested, and it took forever.  in fact, longer than 2 weeks.  so my boss went and hired this company to handle our testing.  this was a "test run".  

sounds like a good boss.

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

No - he's a pilot, but he claims that is actually pretty safe right now.  Like 5% of regular airline traffic, and strick airline rules about distancing etc...

So most likely some where in an airport during work, but he can't remember being close to anyone for more than 5 minutes.

He feels like utter shit.  Flu x 10 is how he described it. And he's a week in, so we are hoping the respiratory stuff doesn't show up next.

really scary shit.

Looking online most pilots don’t wear a mask while flying so that’s probably how he got it from all the recirculated air.  +++++VIBES+++++ to your friend.  

12 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

All good news now, but what happens if these vaccines hit a wall in the third phase of testing? Do we think that they will be pushed through the stage gates faster than a typical vaccine trial would go just to get it done?

I heard something interesting on the radio a few days ago too. It's happened in the past and is surely going to happen this time where whichever country develops the first vaccine hoards it for their own population before distributing it to the rest of the world. It was a week ago since I heard this so the details were fuzzy but the last time there was a major outbreak Australia had the breakthrough and was holding out on everyone else for a while. I wonder what will happen when someone actually gets a Covid vaccine done this time around? 

Also, I was listening to SiriusXM on my ride today and flipped to Business Radio and caught some of the Wharton Moneyball show, it's a really awesome show (link below) especially when there are actual sports to talk about, but they were chatting about Coronavirus today for a while. They were talking about the r value of the infection rate, good if below 1 and bad if above. 1 means that every person with the virus infects 1 other person. This is incredibly tricky to accurately track but sounds like it's the value that really has the most impact on things. Also they reiterated something I've been saying for a very long time. ALL THE DATA IS TRASH DATA. 

https://businessradio.wharton.upenn.edu/wharton-moneyball/

Hope all of you have a magnificent Wednesday!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I definitely don’t want to be one of the early people who are vaccinated.  

I'm not an antivaxxer but there is no way in hell i'd let someone inject me with a vaccine that was rushed through development like this. i wonder what percentage of people have the same sentiment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Benm said:

I'm not an antivaxxer but there is no way in hell i'd let someone inject me with a vaccine that was rushed through development like this. i wonder what percentage of people have the same sentiment. 

I imagine a pretty large percentage.  The president and companies working on the vaccine have to be optimistic because it benefits the economy but I’m Leary about it. If you look up vaccine on google under news..you can cherry pick articles that range from,”a working vaccine might never occur” to we are well on our way.  Think about this they never developed a vaccine for HIV and flu shots are only somewhat effective. Also the people doing these vaccine trials are super healthy people. 

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I imagine a pretty large percentage.  The president and companies working on the vaccine have to be optimistic because it benefits the economy but I’m Leary about it. If you look up vaccine on google under news..you can cherry pick articles that range from,”a working vaccine might never occur” to we are well on our way.  Think about this they never developed a vaccine for HIV and flu shots are only somewhat effective. Also the people doing these vaccine trials are super healthy people. 

HIV vaccines are incredibly difficult to develop because the virus is highly mutable and the epitopes of the viral envelope are super inconsistent, so recognition of B and T cells is really difficult. As of right now, none of those irregularities has been identified with the COVID virus, making it more likely do develop a vaccine quickly. Because it is still so new to researchers I would not be surprised of there are changes of the virus that are impacting their R&D of a vaccination. That being said, I think by the time a COVID vaccine becomes readily available to common folks like us, there will be plenty of testing done post-FDA approval. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tnt said:

assuming you're wearing a helmet (ideally a full face) and a mask underneath it, glasses or goggles, and gloves, i'd think your exposure risk is pretty slow. i'm guessing they're recommending you only ride the lift with someone you came with, and not just allowing random singles to hop on together, but it's blue so who knows. they change their chairlift rules every two weeks for the bike park it seems. don't go inside, keep a little bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket for emergencies, and keep your gloves on and don't touch your face. i can't imagine the "sweat trail" or whatever they're talking about (exhalation stream?) is gonna be that large and dispersed from someone wearing a full face helmet. you could also just go up on a rainy day when no one's there and any droplets fall out of the air quicker from the high humidity/moisture content, in theory? the biggest risk at blue is always the loose rocks haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mbike-ski said:

this vaccine scenario scares the living shit out of me, way too many $ and political chips on the table

The vaccine doesnt bother me as much as the virus thing does though.  The managers assistant in my office scares the shit out of me.  He is in the age group that seems to feel impervious to the virus.  Made mention of going out to dinner on dates, bars with friends, etc, kinda seems like he just cant lay back for a little and see how this goes, i guess feels like he needs to be the test pilot.  He really feels he doesnt need to wear a mask around the office, and he is actually not in an office, just this kind of open area, so there is tons of traffic around him.  I figure if he lacks judgement at work, its certainly out the window when he leaves here.  Before we got tested on Friday, i heard him say "if i have this thing im gonna be so mad."  Fucking schmuck.  

• Like 3