Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

22 minutes ago, Schif said:

What do you guys think about the silly hoops that they are making you jump through to go for a drink now? 

Logically it makes sense, discourage people from gathering in bars to sit and watch the game and drink all night. It also has the side effect of having establishments make an extra few bucks on food that might not have otherwise been bought. 

Is it really going to do anything at this point though? Probably not. People who don't want to go to bars are going to stay home and those that have decided it's worth the risk will just order some fries. 

I'm getting concerned that we are oddly OK with the governor of a state having the broad authority to implement such ticky tack regulations. Even if they are in this case for the greater good, this is kind of not cool. 

This is just a personal observation I’ve made over the recent week, week and a half. The outdoor dining seems to have loosened people’s perception that getting up and meandering table to table is okay. I walk my dog up through town every night (Street is shut down for outdoor dining) and there are always a bunch of people talking to friends at another table, hugging neighbors they see, etc etc. I haven’t been inside a to watch yet but I can’t imagine that same thing is going on inside. 

bar service could be open if the bar did things the right way. One place here had two, 4 person spots at the bar 6 feet apart and divided by an unused high top table  if 1 person came in and sat in that 4 person section, that’s it, the other 3 sit empty, if you’re coming in as a group of 2 or 3 or 4 they required you all came in together and not have 1 or 2 people show up early and the other two come staggered, no different than sitting at a table imo. 

16 minutes ago, Schif said:

Who is even enforcing this and how? Do they make you submit your transactions at the end of the week to make sure each one has a food item on it? 

Also what is the long term plan here? Covid is not going away anytime soon (or ever) and not to get all Ned Stark on everyone but Winter is Coming. Outdoor dining will be off the table in 3 months. Maybe not for parking lot meat lovers like us like us, but still. 25% capacity in a restaurant and you can't just pump your highest profit margin product, alcohol, out over the bar to people is just a recipe to close your doors for good. 

i guess enforcement is just the threat that if the state finds out, you can lose the business/liquor license (not sure which) and that's a risk that i dont think many bars would want to take.

as for long term, god knows. i don't even try to guess what things are going to be like in the 'next week' term anymore. 

I think the rule with the food purchase being necessary for alcohol consumption is a little ridiculous.  I guess they're trying to target bars that people are going to linger around and socialize, but if a brewery is operating at 25% capacity, has tables spread out for social distancing, and no bar seats, that should be allowed even if no food is available.  When I was at Cape May Brewing last month, they had tables and seats spread apart in the outdoor beer garden, and I think they were limiting it to an hour per party, although we showed up like 45 minutes before they closed so that wasn't an issue.  They were turning a lot of people away who came in after us.

What they're trying to do is not shut down bars completely. They don't want people sitting elbow to elbow at the bar unless it is someone they came in with. They don't want people milling around and moving from table to table like it's 2019. That's why the rules state you have to come in with a mask and only take it off if you're seated. If you're not seated you need to be wearing a mask. I've seen people ignoring the rules and it only makes things drag out longer, ends up shutting down places again, and hurts the economy and owners more.

Edited by trackbiker

Effective immediately, Washington will call itself the “Washington Football Team”, pending adoption of a new name, sources tell ESPN. This is not a final renaming and rebranding for team; this is the name it wants to use until pending adoption of a new name in the future.

lmao 

11 minutes ago, Benm said:

Effective immediately, Washington will call itself the “Washington Football Team”, pending adoption of a new name, sources tell ESPN. This is not a final renaming and rebranding for team; this is the name it wants to use until pending adoption of a new name in the future.

lmao 

I saw that. And the tough guys on social media who call people snowflakes continue to melt down over a team changing their name. I love it.

Seattle got a new NHL team today too. Opening day for baseball. Lots going on in the sports world. Hopefully COVID doesn't end these already abbreviated seasons.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Benm said:

lmao 

So stupid..maybe be like the Washington monuments or an animal not used already perhaps the Gorillas although people would probably think that’s racist as well. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Benm said:

lmao 

GO TEAM!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Schif said:

What do you guys think about the silly hoops that they are making you jump through to go for a drink now? 

Logically it makes sense, discourage people from gathering in bars to sit and watch the game and drink all night. It also has the side effect of having establishments make an extra few bucks on food that might not have otherwise been bought. 

Is it really going to do anything at this point though? Probably not. People who don't want to go to bars are going to stay home and those that have decided it's worth the risk will just order some fries. 

I'm getting concerned that we are oddly OK with the governor of a state having the broad authority to implement such ticky tack regulations. Even if they are in this case for the greater good, this is kind of not cool. 

Our governor just passed an emergency law that last call is to be at 10pm starting today. Bar owners are understandably upset and trying to get together and fight it. I have mixed feelings about all of it. I get the mask, social distance thing. But you are right, it just seems like the government keeps passing extra things to “keep us safe.”  I agree that Covid is just here to stay and at some point we have to do what we can but live with it. Not everyone can be kept in a bubble forever. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Barb said:

Our governor just passed an emergency law that last call is to be at 10pm starting today. Bar owners are understandably upset and trying to get together and fight it. I have mixed feelings about all of it. I get the mask, social distance thing. But you are right, it just seems like the government keeps passing extra things to “keep us safe.”  I agree that Covid is just here to stay and at some point we have to do what we can but live with it. Not everyone can be kept in a bubble forever. 

Would you be comfortable being in a bar right now?  I don’t understand the earlier last call although early in the pandemic a lot of businesses were closing earlier. 

I can't believe that we are still having conversations about closing high-risk places and wearing masks while confirmed cases here continue to spike and the EU is pretty much under control - comparatively speaking. Those places aren't learning to live with it, they took care of it when they should have.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I can't believe that we are still having conversations about closing high-risk places and wearing masks while confirmed cases here continue to spike and the EU is pretty much under control - comparatively speaking. Those places aren't learning to live with it, they took care of it when they should have.

Because “Murcia! 

Soon to be land of the free, home of the dead. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Would you be comfortable being in a bar right now?  I don’t understand the earlier last call although early in the pandemic a lot of businesses were closing earlier. 

I am not a bar person as it is but no, I personally would not enjoy being in a bar right now. I just feel like Schiff has a point about the government. 

28 minutes ago, Shadows said:

I did a quote at a casket company outside new smithville today. Place had at least 25 semis. Bates something or other. Must be doing well.

Batesville and yeah this will surely be a record year for the funeral industry.  A bit of a lag with us as people typically don’t purchase Memorial stones until 3-6 months or longer after a death occurs.  Some buy ahead of time or the day of the funeral but it’s usually a bit later on in the grieving process and most cemeteries like to let the ground settle for several months after a burial before a foundation and Memorial stone is installed. 

At the funeral director conventions Batesville always has a huge booth and they usually give out ice cream bars and fill a casket with free candy..I like candy..and @iliketurtles

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich