Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

25 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

How many more NFL players opt out this season because of this?

Real good question. The player already have/had an issue with the NFL’s safety protocols for all of this and now they’re watching This happen in baseball, it’ll only make them consider opting out more and more. 

17 minutes ago, Benm said:

well it was good while it lasted i guess. i wonder what this means for the rest of the season and how other leagues (mainly NFL) will take this into account. doesnt look promising

I figured this would happen, but didn't think it would be after the first series.  Probably doesn't help that Florida is one of the hotspots right now.

9 minutes ago, Barb said:

I have been feeling like garbage since I got back from my trip. Even had a fever for a few days. Called my doc this morning to get an appt. told them I was backpacking and maybe I have a water bacteria based something or tick bite etc. They immediately connected me to the “Covid nurse” and she asked me a bunch of questions. I have a video appt w my doc in a few hours but the nurse told me to quarantine because “she is sure I have Covid”.

I have so many problems with this; what if I was a complete anxiety ridden person and her telling me that is sending me over the edge. It also seems like every single symptom now is a Covid symptom. Have a feeling my doc will prob send me for a test. And yes, I will be responsible of course and quarantine in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep us posted...hope you feel better and it's not Covid.  

My daughter has been back at day care for like 3 weeks and came home Friday with her nose running like crazy.  Hopefully not sick and just allergies...but I'm sure they'll send her home if there's any type of illness

12 minutes ago, Barb said:

I have been feeling like garbage since I got back from my trip. Even had a fever for a few days. Called my doc this morning to get an appt. told them I was backpacking and maybe I have a water bacteria based something or tick bite etc. They immediately connected me to the “Covid nurse” and she asked me a bunch of questions. I have a video appt w my doc in a few hours but the nurse told me to quarantine because “she is sure I have Covid”.

I have so many problems with this; what if I was a complete anxiety ridden person and her telling me that is sending me over the edge. It also seems like every single symptom now is a Covid symptom. Have a feeling my doc will prob send me for a test. And yes, I will be responsible of course and quarantine in the meantime.

Hope you feel better and I hope that it isn't COVID.

Sending positive vibes your way Barb. You're one of the toughest people I know so whatever this is won't stand a chance.
  • Like 1

Haha doc doesn’t think Covid in the slightest! He thinks water bacteria. Says I should have filtered AND treated my water (I just treated w drops). Have to get a test to see what kind of bacteria but relieved. When I told him his staff was certain I had Covid he just chuckled. I love my doctor.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Barb said:

Haha doc doesn’t think Covid in the slightest! He thinks water bacteria. Says I should have filtered AND treated my water (I just treated w drops). Have to get a test to see what kind of bacteria but relieved. When I told him his staff was certain I had Covid he just chuckled. I love my doctor.

Good. Do you have a water filter? And if anybody does I'd be interested in recommendations...

47 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Good. Do you have a water filter? And if anybody does I'd be interested in recommendations...

Sawyer squeeze is the backpacking standard....there are others though...

Also I know some filters do not filter out virus.....

I use Aqua Mira drops and never had a problem....but thats just me...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mixilplix said:

Sawyer squeeze is the backpacking standard....there are others though...

Also I know some filters do not filter out virus.....

I use Aqua Mira drops and never had a problem....but thats just me...

Sawyer squeeze x2, though get a bunch of their bags or like the big msr dromidery bag so you don't have to be messing with getting water alot. I would only get a pump type over the squeeze if I had to be doing a shit ton of water filtering. 

Beavers I heard are the worst for giardia and the like,  i know one person who got giardia and that shit wrecked him for like a week until he got the antibiotic. I'll drink water untreated from springs i know are good but anything else treat your water or you'll get some real nasty stuff. 

I saw deaths are at their all time lowest i believe, combined with high positives and lots of testing thats a really good thing.  The idea that this country was going to do it NZ style i think is just laughable.

• Like 1

@toast21602 I have a sawyer mini but it’s a pain to filter to another bottle. It does fit on a smart water bottle so you can drink right from it. I just ordered a katadyn be free gravity filter since I am planning a Grand Canyon trip (lots of sediment) and heard sawyers don’t hold up well in it. 

I used Aqua Mira drops on my last trip and they are supposed to protect against giardia and the other one (starts with a C). It is funny you mention Beavers @Johnny Law because our last night we camped next to a beaver dam and I got my water from near there.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barb said:

@toast21602 I have a sawyer mini but it’s a pain to filter to another bottle. It does fit on a smart water bottle so you can drink right from it. I just ordered a katadyn be free gravity filter since I am planning a Grand Canyon trip (lots of sediment) and heard sawyers don’t hold up well in it. 

I used Aqua Mira drops on my last trip and they are supposed to protect against giardia and the other one (starts with a C). It is funny you mention Beavers @Johnny Law because our last night we camped next to a beaver dam and I got my water from near there.  

A RMC hut care taker told me Beavers carry giardia at about 20% rate.  I have no idea if this is true but he was very scientifically minded type and seemed to speak with authority. 

He said if you come to a water source and see beaver shit or dead animals up stream dont drink the water even with a filter. I would imagine a beaver dam would be a hard no lol

The NE I think is maybe easier though as water is everywhere and if you follow it maybe 100 yards you can find a spot where a spring is bringing it up from underground. 

The daks have the best tasting water in the world i swear, I've drank it off rocks and stuff with no issues but your at the source and shit don't live up past about 4500ft there.

3 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Clamydia? 

You can get it from beavers.

I'm no doctor but iirc you can only get that through sexual organs or the eye which makes it near impossible to get through water. 

I think your thinking of cholera which is super dangerous but only in the 3rd world. Water treatment has almost entirely eliminated cholera from North America and apparently most people who get cholera don't even know. 

Keep us posted...hope you feel better and it's not Covid.  
My daughter has been back at day care for like 3 weeks and came home Friday with her nose running like crazy.  Hopefully not sick and just allergies...but I'm sure they'll send her home if there's any type of illness

Same with my granddaughter in daycare.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

I'm no doctor but iirc you can only get that through sexual organs or the eye which makes it near impossible to get through water. 

I think your thinking of cholera which is super dangerous but only in the 3rd world. Water treatment has almost entirely eliminated cholera from North America and apparently most people who get cholera don't even know. 

Cholera is something people used to get on the Oregan trail. I was talking to a former nurse about vaccines and apparently kids now get chicken pox vaccines, hepatitis, HPV a whole bunch more than when we were kids. 

2 minutes ago, Barb said:

Cryptosporidium. And thanks for that tip @Johnny Law  new to all this stuff so any advice always welcome. 

Honestly we had no idea until my cousin got it one trip and had a most wicked case of diarrhea for like a week and nobody wants that. 

I'd wager its very geography based, most of the higher points in the NE have very little food so less animals and less need to worry but I'd imagine that's different in CO.

Glad to hear you dont have covid and once you get your water situation sorted you'll never have to think of it again.

2 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

And a UV wand.

I don't think they filter for heavy metals and the like which at least in some spots is important as the daks/pa have alot of industry that puts crap in all the water though rain.  

CO I know has some serious serious spots with big time heavy metal contamination but unless your drinking from it all the time it probably wouldn't matter. 

Otherwise UV is awesome at killing everything 

1 hour ago, Johnny Law said:

Sawyer squeeze x2, though get a bunch of their bags or like the big msr dromidery bag so you don't have to be messing with getting water alot. I would only get a pump type over the squeeze if I had to be doing a shit ton of water filtering. 

Beavers I heard are the worst for giardia and the like,  i know one person who got giardia and that shit wrecked him for like a week until he got the antibiotic. I'll drink water untreated from springs i know are good but anything else treat your water or you'll get some real nasty stuff. 

I saw deaths are at their all time lowest i believe, combined with high positives and lots of testing thats a really good thing.  The idea that this country was going to do it NZ style i think is just laughable.

Sawyer makes a couple of different size filters too....The Squeeze has the best flow rate  tho...As JL said get a bunch of bags...after market ones are better....It's cool they fit on smart water bottles but in time the bottle becomes a mess from repeated squeezing.....You can rig them up to make a gravity system too....You also need to back flush them....and don't let them freeze..if they do there done...I brought one with me on my LT through hike but it was such a PITA ..Prolly from never really using one before...I just gave it to someone ....

JL is spot on about great tasting water in the Daks...The Whites are right up there too....

Edited by Mixilplix

Real good question. The player already have/had an issue with the NFL’s safety protocols for all of this and now they’re watching This happen in baseball, it’ll only make them consider opting out more and more. 
A handful of NFL players opted out of this season today after the Marlins situation...more likely than not more will in the coming days.

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:
9 hours ago, Kyle said:

A handful of NFL players opted out of this season today after the Marlins situation...more likely than not more will in the coming days.

I’m most impressed with the guy from the Chiefs (forget his name) who opted out to put his medical degree to use and work with COVID patients in care centers. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I’m most impressed with the guy from the Chiefs (forget his name) who opted out to put his medical degree to use and work with COVID patients in care centers. 

Duverny-Tardif. He has his MD but I don't think he is licensed to practice so has been working on the front lines as an aide doing the dirty work on the front lines. Honorable AF. 

• Like 2