Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

9 hours ago, Kyle said:

These guys in the MLB were supposed to be following strict protocols in regards to where they can go, etc etc. there’s now been 17 marlins players/coaches test positive, a few Phillies staff members who worked in the away clubhouse test positive, lord knows about airport employees, bus drivers, etc etc. 

it’s not going to take much to spread it in a school. All it’s going to take is that one kid who’s parents went out to a bar Labor Day weekend at the jersey shore to get it, bring it to school on the bus (30 kids), spread it in the classroom (15 kids conservative) and those kids spread it to their parents, who spread it to the workplace (if not telework) etc etc etc. 

I don’t have kids, let alone married so my opinion may not hold any weight, but I don’t think in person schooling should resume any time in the immediate future. 

Yep - sickness spreads like crazy in day care, I'm sure it's the same in the schools.  Luckily my daughter isn't in regular school yet, so I don't have to worry about virtual learning, etc...but I feel for the people who do, for some people, it's going to be tough if they're not allowed to work from home.  

We have to get temperatures taken every day at work...now they put in a robot looking machine with a camera that checks your temperature and makes sure you have a mask.  If you don't have a mask on, it starts blinking red and yelling at you.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Nope...we will have skiing but it won’t be the same...cases will likely rise during the fall and into the winter.  The fact that amusement parks are open give me no doubt that most ski resorts will operate but with some modifications.  Perhaps less capacity on the quad and six pack at Blue, masks required on lifts and liftlines, limited amount of people allowed in lodges and perhaps social distancing in liftlines and even limited ticket sales.  For travel, obviously airlines will be a higher stress proposition and at the ski resorts I don’t see Trams operating and gondolas perhaps four per cabin instead of 8...less capacity on buses as well.  It’s a whole new world..

I agree. what I'm afraid of is if we go back into yellow or red (which could be possible if we surge again in the fall) then we may be looking at closures all together....that's a worst case scenario of course. But to answer Dan's question no...I don't think ski season will be close to what we're used to. Shit I'm even contemplating sleeping in my car on any ski trips I take in the east. Barring anything unforeseen I'll be in Arizona in early December so if Snowbowl is open, I'll head up there but not planning on flying at all outside of that.

I’ve been more cautious than the average American during this pandemic, but snowboarding is way more important than my health.  I won’t play hockey but I’ll absolutely snowboard during a pandemic.  Better to be sick and die on the slopes than sit at home not enjoying the snow 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Imagine how people on here will react when blue tells us we can only come during certain time windows 

We’ll adapt...even if the majority of us ski less days think of how amazing being out there is gonna feel after what we’ve all endured during this pandemic. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

I'm glad I didn't buy an Icon or Epic pass this year. I considered it, but looking at how we are trending (again) it doesn't look like I'll be wanting to be in an airport, on a plane, in a gondola, or tram anytime soon. I'll deal with it for a year if I don't travel anywhere and I'm sure we will still all make the most of the skison regardless of what happens. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

We’ll adapt...even if the majority of us ski less days think of how amazing being out there is gonna feel after what we’ve all endured during this pandemic. 

I didn’t miss snowboarding too much during the first few months of this because I was grateful we got almost all of the season in and I realized this could have occurred 2 months earlier and shut the heart of the season down.  However, this 90+ degree days are taking their toll.  6 months ago I had plans to ride Xanadu tomorrow morning, instead im now looking up pocono hiking places but don’t want to go in 90+ degree weather.  I watch ice road truckers most nights and Alaska looks amazing

• Like 1

Wholeheartedly approve of this.

Although now that I think about it the first hour is usually passholders only anyway. Here's what I would propose to blue. Open at 7. Passholders only from 7 to 9. Limited ticket sales each hour after that until 8pm. Passholders only from 8pm to 9pm so passholders can watch patrol do whirlybirds on challenge...a passholders perk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Although now that I think about it the first hour is usually passholders only anyway. Here's what I would propose to blue. Open at 7. Passholders only from 7 to 9. Limited ticket sales each hour after that until 8pm. Passholders only from 8pm to 9pm.

Indiggio isn’t gonna like that. Thankfully PARidge isn’t the one calling the shots. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 1

Blue is still operating the summer stuff and it seems to be working for them. I would imagine by the time winter rolls around they will have a decent idea on how to run the lodges which are the pinch point in my mind. An emphasis on buying tickets in advance and using the kiosks could go a long way, as would be having some sort of outdoor ticket window. 

I can see skiing actually getting a bump this winter from the general public. I think we all noticed parks, trails, etc. being more crowded than normal thanks to this pandemic as people went outside in search of some sort of recreation. When it's too cold for outdoor dining people are going to be looking to some sort of outdoor activity in the winter and skiing will likely fit the bill. 

I dont think Blue is going to have any good idea how to handle this.  I think whatever they come up with, it will look like 11 am on the Saturday of Presidents weekend, after it snowed the day before.  (complete shit show)  Does anyone really think Blue is going to limit ticket sales?

I will agree with @toast21602, this is probably a good year to not be spendy on other passes.  I guess we will see firsthand how A-bay and Killington handle this in the fall.  that should give us some idea of what we are in for.  We know that skiing isnt really going to be the problem.  its going to be everything else.  Blue opening with come around and midway, and just running main street chair really funnels people into one massive pile of people.  As far as i am concerned, i think they need to run every lift, all the time, to spread everybody out.  We all know Blue cant get the 6 and the quad to run simultaneously for more than half an hour.  

Is there a Covid-19 plan being put together for Mount Mik?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Schif said:

Blue is still operating the summer stuff and it seems to be working for them. I would imagine by the time winter rolls around they will have a decent idea on how to run the lodges which are the pinch point in my mind. An emphasis on buying tickets in advance and using the kiosks could go a long way, as would be having some sort of outdoor ticket window. 

I can see skiing actually getting a bump this winter from the general public. I think we all noticed parks, trails, etc. being more crowded than normal thanks to this pandemic as people went outside in search of some sort of recreation. When it's too cold for outdoor dining people are going to be looking to some sort of outdoor activity in the winter and skiing will likely fit the bill. 

The amount of people that utilize summer services at Blue is significantly less than winter, so I wouldn't compare the two.

• Like 1

Skiing will be the problem. You gotta get up to get down, two people per chair on opposite ends of the quad and 6 pack, singles only on double chairs? Ohh and stay 6 feet away from everyone in the lift line that you dont reside with. With people standing shoulder to shoulder the line makes it to the end of the ropes on a normal weekend, its going to be fun stopping half way down Challenge to stand in a lift line to maintain social distance. 

Skiing is a business, the only people that the business cares about typically is its employees. They will keep employees behind some sort of comically funny sneeze guard and let the paying customer come and do as they will. They will push the limits of what they can get away with as far as the current level of restrictions at the time to make money. 

Maybe they will start renting touring gear, make Paradise an up-hill only trail, all other open trails are downhill only, lifts wont run.... This seems like the winning combo..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1