Blue Mountain - COVID-19 Update

toast21602

53 minutes ago, GSSucks said:

Maybe they will start renting touring gear, make Paradise an up-hill only trail, all other open trails are downhill only, lifts wont run.... This seems like the winning combo..

the only upside to this is that they actually might initiate an uphill pass or policy

• Like 3

Boulder county had 23 new cases yesterday to bring our total to 1830. Population of Boulder county is 326,196 so I think we are doing pretty well.

And the backcountry will be a shit show this season for sure. All the FB groups are already blowing up with people asking where they can buy used cheap touring set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a message from the day care:

"your daughter has a runny nose and coughed a few times.  We're not sending her home since it's no big deal, but she can't return after today until those symptoms are gone, or a doctor clears her"

Great...so every time she has a runny nose or coughs, my wife or I have to take her to the doctor, pay a co-pay, and listen to the doctor tell us it's just a cold or allergies.  The doctor said she may or may not have to get a COVID test...shit, if I got sent home from school every time my nose ran, I would still be in high school.  Most of my family has bad allergies, most likely my daughter too

2 minutes ago, Barb said:

Boulder county had 23 new cases yesterday to bring our total to 1830. Population of Boulder county is 326,196 so I think we are doing pretty well.

And the backcountry will be a shit show this season for sure. All the FB groups are already blowing up with people asking where they can buy used cheap touring set ups.

Delco had just over a hundred cases yesterday, which is double from the day before.  Population 566,000.  Delco was handling this pretty well, but when things opened up, (bars, restaurants) its apparent we are a bunch of losers.  

5 minutes ago, Barb said:

That’s pretty similar to Lehigh county. We have about 300k people and 30 new cases yesterday.  Total is about 4K though.  

2 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

"your daughter has a runny nose and coughed a few times.  We're not sending her home since it's no big deal, but she can't return after today until those symptoms are gone, or a doctor clears her"

Great...so every time she has a runny nose or coughs, my wife or I have to take her to the doctor, pay a co-pay, and listen to the doctor tell us it's just a cold or allergies.  The doctor said she may or may not have to get a COVID test...shit, if I got sent home from school every time my nose ran, I would still be in high school.  Most of my family has bad allergies, most likely my daughter too

Oh, she is gonna love getting tested if she has to.  

Delivery guys kids go to Upper Perk school district and last night their school board voted 8-1 to start the school year all virtual and many parents had a freaking cow.  It’s a different demographic than urban districts.  Likely more republicans and people who think this is a hoax.  Allentown school district is going to be all virtual and Parkland which is the Richie rich district of the valley is going in person for elementary school and hybrid for older kids.  

22 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Welcome to the new normal. I think I had a runny nose half of my childhood and about 2/3 of the time I’m skiing.  

34 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Delivery guys kids go to Upper Perk school district and last night their school board voted 8-1 to start the school year all virtual and many parents had a freaking cow.  It’s a different demographic than urban districts.  Likely more republicans and people who think this is a hoax. 

I think it has more to do with parents not wanting to arrange for day care or have a hard time working from home when the kids are there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

I think it has more to do with parents not wanting to arrange for day care or have a hard time working from home when the kids are there.

Exactly.  Or parents that can't work from home at all.  Luckily my wife's job is pretty flexible and she can work from home most of the time going forward, but I've been back in the office.  

54 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Correct my friend was paying for catholic school and daycare at the same time for her kid in the spring.  Even housewives if they still exist want the kids out of their hair so they can get their hair and nails did and have ladies lunches. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

39 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Correct my friend was paying for catholic school and daycare at the same time for her kid in the spring.  Even housewives if they still exist want the kids out of their hair so they can get their hair and nails did and have ladies lunches. 

Some seem to think that this pandemic will cause more housewives to exist rather than fewer. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-pandemic-could-force-a-generation-of-mothers-out-of-the-workforce/

• Like 1

I know that part of the issue is NSP is looking at how to handle on hill incidents and protecting patrollers. That is a big concern. The mountain operations people are meeting regionally to discuss the issues in the upcoming season. You have to look at line control, lodges, rental lines, food lines. All things that could lead to limiting tickets sold and on hill users. Weekends look like the big issue to me. That is when the crowds show up. I don't think weekdays will be too much of an issue as the crowds are low to non-existent. Keep in mind that 98% of patrol is volunteers at most hills. To say this season will be an interesting challenge is an understatement right now.

• Like 2

I know that part of the issue is NSP is looking at how to handle on hill incidents and protecting patrollers. That is a big concern. The mountain operations people are meeting regionally to discuss the issues in the upcoming season. You have to look at line control, lodges, rental lines, food lines. All things that could lead to limiting tickets sold and on hill users. Weekends look like the big issue to me. That is when the crowds show up. I don't think weekdays will be too much of an issue as the crowds are low to non-existent. Keep in mind that 98% of patrol is volunteers at most hills. To say this season will be an interesting challenge is an understatement right now.

You mention weekdays which reminds me....school groups. If schools aren't offering after school activities (no ski club) that's a massive hit for not just Blue but lots of local hills. I wonder if Blue will even open at all on weeknights if that happens.

5 hours ago, Barb said:

I feel like this is the first of similar statements to follow. Its probably time for resorts to acknowledge Covid isnt going away. Better to start planting the seed that things will be different now, then waiting until november to say, oh, yeah, by the way.......

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Schif said:

Looks like Allegheny had a few more new cases than Philadelphia. 

Correct and Texas actually had one more death than Florida..217 vs 216.  Today could be the deadliest day for the US since May.  Over 1200 reported so far cases are a bit down from peak 58,000 vs last week when there were over 70,000 daily but reporting occurs for another hour or so. 

50 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

You mention weekdays which reminds me....school groups. If schools aren't offering after school activities (no ski club) that's a massive hit for not just Blue but lots of local hills. I wonder if Blue will even open at all on weeknights if that happens.

I didn’t even think that.  They’ll probably close at 7 or some bullshit 😞. Ski club was the highlight of my school year in middle school. That would be really sad for kids not to have ski club. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich